The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Official University of Surrey Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Hi

Do you still consider application through UCAS EXTRA for the business and management courses?
I was thinking about changing my choices.

Thanks.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by adrian98
Hi

Do you still consider application through UCAS EXTRA for the business and management courses?

Thanks.

Hiya Adrian,

Just pinged an email to our Admissions team to ask about this. Will let you know the answer when they respond :smile:

All the best,
Ashley
Original post by Student5365968
I have an offer from Surrey uni to study Business management, the offer is Distinction in applied law, distinction in business, grade A in geo?(D*D*A were sent of as predicted grades)
I think i will get D* , D* and grade B in geo in summer exams.

will Leicester university be lenient on results day? What do you guys think? Will i be accepted into the university a grade lower in geography, but higher grades for business and law?

Any similar experiences?

Any help or opinions appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi again @Student5365968,

I've just heard back from our Admissions team.

We aren't able to guarantee a place on the course when offer conditions have not been met, but we do look to accommodate students who narrowly miss their grades subject to the availability of places on their chosen course.

We'll have to wait for results day for any decisions, but we'll let you know as quickly as we can :smile:

Let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime :smile:

All the best,
Ashley
Original post by adrian98
Hi

Thanks.

Hey again Adrian,

We are currently open for UCAS extra for the business and management courses but as the equal consideration deadline has passed we can't make any guarantees and we are monitoring numbers closely for Surrey Business School courses. Courses will close on UCAS if we can no longer consider applications.

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Ashley
Reply 1984
Good morning,
I made Surrey my firm choice last week and applied for accommodation today.
This page
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/pre_departure/before/accommodation/
says "Make a valid online application for accommodation 48 hours after you have made Surrey your firm choice, indicating your room preferences"

This page
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/applicants/students/
on the other hand says
"The deadline to apply for returning students for 2017/18 is March 13 2017 and the guaranteed deadline to apply for New UG Students starting in September 2016 is Tuesday 25th July" (outdated? Is the deadline for 2017 also in July?)

This is kind of confusing. Did I miss some kind of deadline or is the first one just a recommendation? Do I still have the guaranty that students who firmed Surrey get?
I'm a EU student if it matters.

Thanks
Original post by Dan997
Good morning,
I made Surrey my firm choice last week and applied for accommodation today.
This page
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/pre_departure/before/accommodation/
says "Make a valid online application for accommodation 48 hours after you have made Surrey your firm choice, indicating your room preferences"

This page
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/applicants/students/
on the other hand says
"The deadline to apply for returning students for 2017/18 is March 13 2017 and the guaranteed deadline to apply for New UG Students starting in September 2016 is Tuesday 25th July" (outdated? Is the deadline for 2017 also in July?)

This is kind of confusing. Did I miss some kind of deadline or is the first one just a recommendation? Do I still have the guaranty that students who firmed Surrey get?
I'm a EU student if it matters.

Thanks

Hi @Dan997,

Thanks for your message.

Ok so basically as an Undergraduate starting in the academic year 2017/2018 (ie this September) you can apply for accommodation 48 hours after you've made Surrey your firm choice (it takes 48 hours for the fact that you've firmed Surrey to register on our accommodation system). You will be guaranteed accommodation if you're a first year undergrad who has made Surrey your firm choice and you apply for accommodation by Tuesday 25 July 2017. :smile:

Really sorry about the confusion, the webpage should read 'Students starting in 2017'... I've let our web support team know so that they can correct this typo. :smile:

Hope this helps! If you have any further questions just let me know :biggrin:

All the best,
Ashley
Hey, could I have some advice?

I'd like to know what accommodation is like after the 1st year. I know that you have to move out after the 1st year of halls. But I want to know about my options then. Like in Aldershot or Working, how much would i have to pay for accommodation? how much would living costs like food, etc be? and does it feel annoying? Commuting every day to the university and back to Aldershot/Working?

I'm considering making Surrey my firm choice. The course was FANTASTIC there, and the teachers too. But I don't know if I should. I want to look at my accommodation options and what my living expenses would be.
Original post by Owain5
Hey, could I have some advice?

I'd like to know what accommodation is like after the 1st year. I know that you have to move out after the 1st year of halls. But I want to know about my options then. Like in Aldershot or Working, how much would i have to pay for accommodation? how much would living costs like food, etc be? and does it feel annoying? Commuting every day to the university and back to Aldershot/Working?

I'm considering making Surrey my firm choice. The course was FANTASTIC there, and the teachers too. But I don't know if I should. I want to look at my accommodation options and what my living expenses would be.

Hey @Owain5,

Aldershot is cheaper than Guildford, but you'd have to take into account the price of commuting everyday (bus or train fare/petrol if you're a car owner). The train takes 17 minutes and currently costs £7.40 for an off-peak day return if you have a 16-25 railcard, the bus takes roughly 40 minutes and costs roughly £4 I think (not sure on this though!). I just had a quick look on Spareroom and you can get a room in Aldershot for about £100 a week, and sometimes bills are even included.

It's a 10 minute train journey from Woking, costing £4.90 for an off-peak day return with a 16-25 railcard. A bus takes a half hour and costs roughly £4 as well (again, not sure about the exact price). Looking at Spareroom you can get a room in Woking for around £100-£125 a week, sometimes with bills included.

It's also worth thinking about how often you'd have to come to campus to do group project work, get books from the library etc. This takes a lot more planning when you live out of town, and may end up costing you as much as you'd pay for rent in Guildford.

There are a number of rooms available in Guildford on Spareroom at the minute which are £100 a week too, most including bills. A number of these are on the outskirts of town (Merrow/Burpham), but you can easily cycle in or get a bus if the weather is bad. If you pay a bit more (£125-150 per week) then you can get closer to the town/uni. Of course, there are exceptions to this - I've seen rooms for under £500 a month which are close to uni and ones further out that are more expensive! I

Your living costs really just depend on you. Personally, I spend about £25 on food per week, nothing on transport as I live a 20 minute walk away from uni, and don't tend to go out loads. My gym membership is £20 a month and phone bill is roughly £30. My rent is £550 a month (including bills - even Sky!) for a lovely, fully furnished double room. I lodge with a girl I went to uni with and her finacé who own the house, but I don't get mates rates or anything. So to cover my basic, day to day living expenses, I spend about £700, which isn't too bad for living in a place that's only a half hour from central London! :tongue: As a student (in 2014/2015), I paid £443 a month for my room (including bills) and my living costs were roughly the same, maybe £50-75 more a month as I went out every week or so.

Personally, I think I'd find the commute annoying, but a guy on my course used to drive from his home in Farnham every day. He made it work and didn't miss out on any social events or anything as he just used to crash at someone's house after a night out. If you are driving, you'd need to take into account parking costs as well...I think it's £5 a day.

One piece of advice - if you do firm Surrey, start looking for accommodation for your second year quite early. My group secured our house in February and it was such a relief not to be panicking about accommodation in April or May! You'll have more choice then, too. :smile:

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions please do let me know :smile:

All the best,
Ashley
Hi everyone!

Just a heads up - our inbox is full and due to a technical issue we're not currently able to delete any messages to make room for new ones :frown:

We've let TSR know about this and they're working on it.

In the meantime, if you have any questions you don't want to post on the thread please feel free to post on our wall, or DM us on any of our social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Snapchat).

Thanks guys, have a great day! :biggrin:

-Ashley
Hello,

I applied to Surrey this year and received an offer for biomedical science. However I made the instinct decision to decline my offer in favour to firm another university. I realised I do really want to go to Surrey and looked on ucas extra and they are still accepting applicants. Is it possible to reapply to Surrey even though I initially declined?

Thanks for your help.
Original post by mrschandlerbing
Hello,

I applied to Surrey this year and received an offer for biomedical science. However I made the instinct decision to decline my offer in favour to firm another university. I realised I do really want to go to Surrey and looked on ucas extra and they are still accepting applicants. Is it possible to reapply to Surrey even though I initially declined?

Thanks for your help.

Hi @mrschandlerbing,

Thanks for your message. I'm not quite sure what the process is in this case, so let me check with our Admissions team and I'll get back to you when I receive an answer from them :smile:

All the best,
Ashley
Original post by mrschandlerbing
Hello,

Thanks for your help.

Hey @mrschandlerbing

The Admissions team have got back to me.

You can either re-apply through UCAS Extra as we are still considering applications for Biomedical Science, or you can contact your firm choice university and asked to be released from your decision. :smile:

Hope this helps!

If you have any further questions regarding this issue I'd advise you to contact the Admissions team directly on +44(0)1483682222 or email [email protected] :smile:

All the best and have a great weekend!
Ashley
How expensive is Guildford, or surrey in general? I heard it's very expensive, would the maintenance loan really be able to cover all the living costs?

Thank you.
Original post by Myst0x
How expensive is Guildford, or surrey in general? I heard it's very expensive, would the maintenance loan really be able to cover all the living costs?

Thank you.

Hi @Myst0x,

I'll be completely honest - yes, Guildford can be more expensive than other parts of the country due to its proximity to London. However, your living costs are dependent on your lifestyle. For example, you could probably spend £30 a week on food if you shop at Tesco, but if you're someone who has to shop at Waitrose then the same shop could cost you £50. Same for nights out - there's a really good Wetherspoons with a dancefloor that gets really busy on Friday and Saturday, but there are also more upmarket bars where you'd spend a lot more on drinks.

During my time here (from 2012-2015) most of my friends had a part time job to subsidise the maintenance loan. I was an EU student, so I didn't qualify for the loan at all. I used my savings for my first year, as well as receiving a scholarship of £3000 for my results. I worked in the Students' Union bar from the summer of first year through second year, and in my final year I worked as a student careers ambassador and as an admin assistant at the uni. I was lucky enough to have parents who paid for my accommodation in second and final year, but many of my friends had to pay it all themselves through the maintenance loan and their part time jobs. They all managed just fine :smile: We have Unitemps on campus, who advertise jobs (may of them part time) in the local area.

The uni offers a wide range of scholarships and bursaries (see http://ow.ly/DGPM30a49G6), and we also have a hardship fund in case you find yourself in unexpected circumstances. The hardship fund is only to be used in emergency cases though, and in order to receive a grant from the hardship fund you have to provide bank statements to prove that you really are in desperate need of the funding. We also have a Money Team in our Student Services centre who are dedicated to providing advice to students regarding their finances :smile:

There's an example budget of living costs here: http://ow.ly/t1MA30a4bAU though I would probably allow a bit more for accommodation, especially if you're living off campus :smile:

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

All the best,
Ashley
This might be a dumb question, but how easy is it to get a Job? Are job vacancies highly demanding there? Also, what do the students think about the CIT Course (Computer Information Technology) and lastly do you know anyone who is working currently doing the CIT degree, if so, how long did it take them to get the job?

Sorry for bombarding you with several questions!

Have a good day!
Original post by Myst0x
This might be a dumb question, but how easy is it to get a Job? Are job vacancies highly demanding there? Also, what do the students think about the CIT Course (Computer Information Technology) and lastly do you know anyone who is working currently doing the CIT degree, if so, how long did it take them to get the job?

Sorry for bombarding you with several questions!

Have a good day!

Hey @Myst0x,

95.6% of our graduates from 2015 were in work or further education within 6 months of completing their degree. Our average graduate employment rate 6 months after graduation is 95% for the past 5 years :smile:

I'm afraid I don't have specific stats regarding the CIT course. However, I previously worked in IT recruitment and the demand for graduates in that field is really high, especially so close to London. Of course, getting a job in your field will depend on your work ethic, degree classification, work experience etc too, but from my experience there are more opportunities in IT than there are in, say, journalism, because the demand for tech graduates outweighs supply.

With regards to what current students think of the course, I'd recommend taking a look at the following students' experience of the CIT course:

1. http://ow.ly/c5Tt30a6Ad9
2. http://ow.ly/RjBN30a6AfS
3. http://ow.ly/NG3B30a6Aig
4. http://ow.ly/NI2J30a6Al2
5. http://ow.ly/Pke830a6An5

Many of our students choose to do a Professional Training Year, where they work in industry for a year as part of their degree. This is usually a paid placement. CIT students have done placements in companies like IBM, Microsoft, Nokia and BAE Systems. At the end of the training year, many students are offered graduate employment from the companies they have worked at, which takes the pressure off in final year. It's really beneficial to have a year of experience under your belt before you even graduate, and will likely make you more attractive to employers than a graduate with no work experience.

Computer Science, Information Technology and Software Development graduates are highly sought after for a wide range of roles, including within the software, consumer electronics, telecommunications and security industries. Recent graduates have gone on to work at McLaren, Microsoft, Eli Lilly, Thomson Reuters, Accenture and IBM.

It might be worth asking our Admissions team if they can put you in touch with a lecturer from CIT, as they will be able to give you a more in-depth idea of prospects than I have., You can email them at [email protected] or ring +44(0)1483 682222 :smile:

Hope this helps! :smile:

All the best,
Ashley
Hello!

Do you know when (roughly) the university will be sending out offers regarding accommodation?

Thanks,
Kirt :smile:
Original post by KAhluwalia
Hello!

Do you know when (roughly) the university will be sending out offers regarding accommodation?

Thanks,
Kirt :smile:

Hi @KAhluwalia,

Thanks for your message :smile:

Offers for undergraduate students beginning their course in the 2017/2018 academic year will be sent an email with details of their offer of accommodation from 17 August 2017. Have you applied for accommodation yet? If you haven't, please be aware that the application deadline for guaranteed accommodation is 25th July for new students. You can find out all about the Accommodation application process here. :smile:

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Ashley
Hello,
Is accommodation guaranteed for students who get into Surrey through clearing/adjustment?

Thanks for your help
Original post by TheLOLGuy
Hello,
Is accommodation guaranteed for students who get into Surrey through clearing/adjustment?

Thanks for your help

Hiya,

I'm afraid that accommodation is only guaranteed to students who have made Surrey their firm choice and have applied for accommodation by 25th July. You can see our accommodation policy for the academic year 2017/2018 here.

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Ashley :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending