The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Official University of Surrey Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi there,

Are you able to follow this link and see if this works for you please? https://www.ussu.co.uk/activity/Pages/Clubs.aspx

If it still doesn't require you access please let me know and I can sort this out for you :smile:

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)

Just tried it. The second the page opens it cuts off to a Microsoft login page asking for an @surrey.ac.uk login.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2401
Hi everybody,

My daughter had an unconditional offer as an international student from University of Surrey computer science for the 2021 september entry. She made her firm choice. Because of pandemics and disadvantages of hybrid education she wants to defer her entry for september 2022. What do you think? Is it possible to defer her entry and secure her place for next year? Or should she apply again for the 2022 september entry? Which way should she follow for deferment?
Reply 2402
Is there a list of trusted private agencies who have good reputation in helping student to find private accomodation in Guildford?
Original post by University of Surrey
Hi everyone. Our official TSR profile is now active and we’re here to answer all your questions about Surrey, whether you’re thinking of applying, going through the application process or already studying here. Ask us about anything - from course details to Surrey’s nightlife - and we’ll find the best person to help you!

Please feel free to post your questions in this thread, or if you prefer you can send us a private message. We’ll aim to get back to you ASAP but please allow a few days for a response.

I was wondering how the music scene is in Guildford, is there live music often or not? Shopping wise, does Guildford have charity shops or second hand shops?
Original post by Anonymous
I was wondering how the music scene is in Guildford, is there live music often or not? Shopping wise, does Guildford have charity shops or second hand shops?

Hello Anon #7,

Guildford has a range of charity shops such as Cancer Research UK, The British Heart Foundation and Oxfam.

The town also has a shopping centre known as the Friary (https://www.thefriaryguildford.com) and there's also the high street where you can find clothes from a range of budgets (from Primark to Hugo Boss).

With regards to the Music Scene the University has its own nightclub exclusively open to university students known as Rubix which often holds live music events in which you can find the official Student Union Website for the night club here: https://surreyunion.org/Rubix/.

There's also other places to listen to live music such as G live and other nightclubs such as Popworld and Labyrinth.

I would recommend checking Guildford out to see if you like the area.

Best regards,
Imane
Second-Year Languages student
Original post by ShuaiJ
Is there a list of trusted private agencies who have good reputation in helping student to find private accomodation in Guildford?

Hi there!

The University has a page online listing trusted letting agencies, which you can find here, along with other useful information.

I hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc
Hi, i live in greater west london and i was thinking of commuting by car to the university as it is around 45 minute drive i do not see the point of moving out and also to take the train is around 1 hour and 50 minutes and quite expensive as i have to go all the way into central london.
I was just wondering if there is parking facilities for students who have to commute by car? And how much it cost? How close can they park from campus? And can they park there overnight for example?
Thankyou
Original post by sophiahdfkff
Hi, i live in greater west london and i was thinking of commuting by car to the university as it is around 45 minute drive i do not see the point of moving out and also to take the train is around 1 hour and 50 minutes and quite expensive as i have to go all the way into central london.
I was just wondering if there is parking facilities for students who have to commute by car? And how much it cost? How close can they park from campus? And can they park there overnight for example?
Thankyou

Hi @sophiahdfkff

Thanks for your question. We allow some of our students to commute by car, and those with a valid parking permit may park in the West Car Park by GSA or in the North Car Park by Austin Pearce. Currently, parking costs £1.75 per day. Alternatively, you can also park in the pay and display car parks. These prices vary therefore it's best to check on our website.

While I don't see a limitation on how long you can park, assuming you park overnight, my understanding is that you will have to pay for the days your car is on-site e.g. if you park overnight, you will have to pay for today's and tomorrow's parking. However, it's best to clarify this with the transport team.

You can view more information on student parking here. Alternatively, if you cannot find the information you require, you are more than welcome to contact the transport team via email here: [email protected]

It may be worth considering moving in for your first year to be closer to the experiences on campus. We have over 6000+ rooms and guarantee accommodation to all firm and insurance first years that apply before the deadline. You may find that rent costs are offset by considering the costs of commuting, parking and inconvenience. By living on campus, you will also be eligible for a higher maintenance loan to cover some of the rental costs. You can view some of our rooms here and find out more about our accommodations here.

Hope that answers your question. Please feel free to post again if you have any other questions.

All the best
Daniel
BSc Accounting and Finance
University of Surrey
(edited 1 day ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending