The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Official University of Surrey Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Hi all,

I have the following update from the accommodation team which might be of interest to some of you:

*** Update on Accommodation for Clearing Students 2016/17 ***
We wanted to update you on the accommodation situation for University accommodation.
We have finished allocating all the Firm and Insurance students, and have a small number of rooms available.
As we know there are not enough rooms for all clearing students and we are going to be holding a ballot for the remaining rooms. To be considered you must have an application in by 4pm tomorrow Thursday 15th September 2016, if you have already made an application for accommodation for 2016/17 then you do not need to apply again. We will enter all applications into a ballot and offer rooms to successful students on Friday 16th September, any student offered will then have 4 days to accept or reject their offers, any rejected room or rooms not accepted at the end of the 4 days will be then offered to the next applicants via the ballot position.
Please be aware that rooms types are extremely limited, as a result it is likely that you will not be offered a room that is high on your preferences list.
Follow the link to apply online: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/applicants/students/index.htm

If you have any questions please get in touch with our accommodation team directly - contact details here: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/contact/index.htm
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Hi, I found out my timetable was available a few days ago but I saw that I had multiple lectures or tutorials all at once (i.e. 4 lectures within 9-11am, 3 tutorials and 1 lecture within 11-1pm, etc.). Has it been set out this because they have yet to finish off my timetable? Or do I have an option as to what lecture or tutorial I should go within that time?

Also I just noticed my timetable isn't really stable and is constantly changing, without some sort of structure for at least the first semester. Is this normal or is it like this because they haven't finished structuring the timetable?

Thanks in advance!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nadiiiaax
Hi, I found out my timetable was available a few days ago but I saw that I had multiple lectures or tutorials all at once (i.e. 4 lectures within 9-11am, 3 tutorials and 1 lecture within 11-1pm, etc.). Has it been set out this because they have yet to finish off my timetable? Or do I have an option as to what lecture or tutorial I should go within that time? Thanks in advance!

Hello,

This is likely to be because they haven't allocated the groups yet (for some of the sessions you'll be split into smaller groups) so you're seeing all of the timetabled sessions for every group. Once the groups have been allocated it will look much nicer!

Emma :smile:
Original post by University of Surrey
Hello,

This is likely to be because they haven't allocated the groups yet (for some of the sessions you'll be split into smaller groups) so you're seeing all of the timetabled sessions for every group. Once the groups have been allocated it will look much nicer!

Oh ok that makes a lot more sense. And I assume this is the same reason as to why the structuring of the timetable seems a bit unstable, right?
Hi,

I have recently drafted my personal statement for UCAS and it is mostly focused on biomedical engineering. But I am also planning on applying for the medical engineering course at surrey, so I was wondering will having a personal statement not based on medical engineering going to disadvantage me (granted the courses are very similar).

Any advice would be deeply appreciated.
I'm applying for veterinary medicine and was wondering how strongly you consider the references...Do you just use them to check we have done the placements or do you use the content to help in your decision? Also, do you require references from every placement or just to cover the minimum? Thanks
Reply 1786
Heya :biggrin: I was wondering if you could provide some oversight into what is on the Engineering (electronic and electrical) induction maths test. Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 1787
Hi, i got a room in Cathedral Court Band C, i was wondering how many people is a single toilet shared between in my court?
I don't know how to get my timetables and when can you get your timetable
Original post by Nadiiiaax
Oh ok that makes a lot more sense. And I assume this is the same reason as to why the structuring of the timetable seems a bit unstable, right?

Yes once you've been assigned your groups it will be much clearer!

Original post by slaybot
Hi,

I have recently drafted my personal statement for UCAS and it is mostly focused on biomedical engineering. But I am also planning on applying for the medical engineering course at surrey, so I was wondering will having a personal statement not based on medical engineering going to disadvantage me (granted the courses are very similar).

Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Hello :smile:

The advice on the UCAS website is:

"Most students choose similar subjects, but if you’ve chosen a variety, just write about common themes like problem solving or creativity."

As long as you think that what you have written will be relevant to both courses then you should be fine - but if you are specifically mentioning biomedical engineering and not medical engineering then you might just want to make the wording slightly more general (but as you say they are similar subjects!)

Have a look here for more info from UCAS: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/when-apply/writing-ucas-undergraduate-personal-statement and we have some tips on our website too: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/features/top-tips-writing-personal-statement

I hope this helps!

Emma
Original post by VittoriaAnna
I'm applying for veterinary medicine and was wondering how strongly you consider the references...Do you just use them to check we have done the placements or do you use the content to help in your decision? Also, do you require references from every placement or just to cover the minimum? Thanks

I would recommend that you get in touch with our admissions team as the Vet admissions adviser will be able to provide you with lots more detail than me :smile: Drop them an email on [email protected]

All the best,
Emma
Original post by Socks_
Heya :biggrin: I was wondering if you could provide some oversight into what is on the Engineering (electronic and electrical) induction maths test. Thanks :biggrin:

Hello!

Just seen that you've posted on here as well - I've sent you a dm :smile:

Emma
Original post by yakubs
Hi, i got a room in Cathedral Court Band C, i was wondering how many people is a single toilet shared between in my court?

Hello,

You'll have two toilets shared between seven rooms. See here for more details: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/about/bandcrooms/index.htm

Hey! I'm moving into campus this saturday and I will receive my kets ay 4pm. on the email it said that the office will be open from 9-5 on the main arrival weekend. I was just wondering, is this saturday the "main arrival weekend"? thanks!
Original post by Lilly1234567890
Hey! I'm moving into campus this saturday and I will receive my kets ay 4pm. on the email it said that the office will be open from 9-5 on the main arrival weekend. I was just wondering, is this saturday the "main arrival weekend"? thanks!

Yes that is correct - pretty much everyone will be moving in this weekend :smile: If you're on Stag Hill campus your key collection point will be the Austin Pearce Building. Let us know if you have any questions over the next couple of days before you arrive!

Emma
Hi, I'm going to be studying Maths and Economics.

My timetable has the same Economics tutorial listed eight times, is this correct? If so, then there's overlapping lectures and tutorials, will this be a problem? There's a copy of it below.

Thanks so much!

Spoiler

Original post by University of Surrey
Hello!

Just seen that you've posted on here as well - I've sent you a dm :smile:

Emma

Hi I am also doing electronic engineering, please could you provide me with some information about the maths induction test.

Thanks
Original post by Micronex
Hi, I'm going to be studying Maths and Economics.

My timetable has the same Economics tutorial listed eight times, is this correct? If so, then there's overlapping lectures and tutorials, will this be a problem? There's a copy of it below.

Thanks so much!

Spoiler

Hello,

This is because you will be split into groups for tutorials and these haven't been allocated yet. You should find out your group in welcome week so once that has updated you will know which tutorial you will need to go to (not all eight of them!) and there won't be any overlap in the timetable :smile:

Emma
Original post by Batman8
Hi I am also doing electronic engineering, please could you provide me with some information about the maths induction test.

Thanks

Hello, no problem!

The academics on your course have informed me that they use the maths test to screen for students that might benefit from additional lecturer contact in learning maths during the first semester of their first year. This is essentially to make sure that you are getting the best support from the teaching staff and to help you settle in as much as possible.

I hope this is useful :smile:

Emma

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending