The Student Room Group

Internet gap for poorer families - pretty unacceptable IMO

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Well it's either that or not have it. I absolutely don't believe that they should get it for free because I would never, ever class internet as a necessity.

There are a great many things that could make life easier but, unfortunately, none of us can afford absolutely everything that we want. My partner and I have only just got internet in our flat, for example, and I survived without it through my time at uni.

No, I don't believe it is a necessity (to have internet at home) either but do feel there could be some sort of community access if you really need it - whether that be through school, public or uni libraries.
Some of the usual stereotyping of people claiming benefits going on in this thread. Yes, there are some wastrels who opt to live permanently on benefits and by a combination of large families and illegal additions to their incomes manage to have a better than poor living standard. Most people however who are on benefits are in pretty desperate shape. It also isn't really fair to pass comments on people on benefits for having a modern TV - there's precious little else to do for many people, for whom there are few jobs and little money. Getting broadband is still an additional cost in many locations and is also often credit checked, ruling out many claimants from even applying for one.

Eventually access to the internet will be seen as a social service and a free, lower quality service will be provided via public subsidy. Perhaps it will go to streets in poorer neighbourhoods and then be plumbed to houses using a cheaper installation method.

The internet supply market in the UK is heavily distorted - BT are overwhelmingly dominant and this is promoted by the government's rural broadband scheme, for which only BT is used, plus other hidden subsidies over the years. The fact is that BT could already afford to provide heavily subsidised landline/broadband services to claimants and this would probably cost the taxpayer a lot less than the web access provided by work programme companies acting for the DWP.

That said, there are relatively few families now with absolutely no access to any web resources, given the abundance of smart phones and their widespread use even amongst claimants.
Reply 62
Original post by CJKay
They must have some expensive-ass internet. Back at home where the Internet is already ridiculously expensive for what you get, it's still only a fiver a week.

The last place I saw that didn't have broadband had the whole town band together to try and pay for it, which they managed to. And that was a good 4-5 years ago now.
Also, what happened to libraries?

Exactly,

I'm rather sceptical about this, I do not think there are children out there who do not have some sore of access to the internet be it via tablet, pc, smart phone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending