The Student Room Group

Rejections from VetMed (need advice)

Hi, I’m in year 13 doing A-level, applied this year to Vet med:
RVC
Surrey
Bristol
RVC gateway
RVC bio veterinary science

Currently I have an offer for the bio veterinary science.
In the last few days I’ve been rejected by Bristol and the RVC Bvetmed :frown: and I really am not feeling hopeful about Surrey or the RVC gateway.

Therefore my only option may be bioveterinary science. But I still have my heart set on veterinary medicine.

I under no circumstance can take a gap year and stay at home as my home environment is extremely toxic.

What do I do?? Should I reapply after 1 year of bio veterinary science, should I complete my degree and then try again for bvetmed and accelerated. If I do 1 year of bio veterinary science can I still apply for gateway year or would I no longer be eligible?

#RVC

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hiya, former rejectee here. Firstly, don't despair yet, Surrey is still giving out offers but I do sympathise with your position. I was rejected by all my uni apps last year and I get what you're feeling right now. Unless you can afford to do a year of uni and pay the living costs with it, I strongly suggest doing a gap year. If you can afford to rent a room for a year or live with a friend or family, do that, work full time and get lots of work experience for next year. If not, I suppose you'd have to do the gap year from home. Do not despair, it's going to get better. I was in a similar position as you, and two gap years where I worked and gained work experience. If you don't get in this year, fight on. If your heart truly lies in Veterinary Medicine, get work experience and loads of it. I wish you luck!
Original post by perry192
Hiya, former rejectee here. Firstly, don't despair yet, Surrey is still giving out offers but I do sympathise with your position. I was rejected by all my uni apps last year and I get what you're feeling right now. Unless you can afford to do a year of uni and pay the living costs with it, I strongly suggest doing a gap year. If you can afford to rent a room for a year or live with a friend or family, do that, work full time and get lots of work experience for next year. If not, I suppose you'd have to do the gap year from home. Do not despair, it's going to get better. I was in a similar position as you, and two gap years where I worked and gained work experience. If you don't get in this year, fight on. If your heart truly lies in Veterinary Medicine, get work experience and loads of it. I wish you luck!

I feel so defeated. I am so passionate about vet med but I cannot be at home for another year and I have 0 financial support to be able to move out without the security of university.
Reply 3
Original post by lilylovescats111
Hi, I’m in year 13 doing A-level, applied this year to Vet med:
RVC
Surrey
Bristol
RVC gateway
RVC bio veterinary science

Currently I have an offer for the bio veterinary science.
In the last few days I’ve been rejected by Bristol and the RVC Bvetmed :frown: and I really am not feeling hopeful about Surrey or the RVC gateway.

Therefore my only option may be bioveterinary science. But I still have my heart set on veterinary medicine.

I under no circumstance can take a gap year and stay at home as my home environment is extremely toxic.

What do I do?? Should I reapply after 1 year of bio veterinary science, should I complete my degree and then try again for bvetmed and accelerated. If I do 1 year of bio veterinary science can I still apply for gateway year or would I no longer be eligible?

#RVC
I'm sorry to hear that please don't be hard on yourself, maybe this is the right path to you you never know. What I'm sure about is that everything happens for a reason and people realise the reason at some time later on in life. I hope that everything will be fine for you soon and that you get into the career that you love and give you the happiness.

The rejections can literally happen to anyone, my friend had all 9s at gcses and was predicted 4A* and ended up with 4 rejections. He tried at clearing and now he is in his first year at Manchester so definitely don't lose hope.

Please try to talk to a friend or someone that you trust about it, it can be hard to go through this alone. I know it is disheartening to experience this so try to take some time to get a break, hang out, go shopping and treat yourself, I can imagine that it has been a rigorous time waiting for decisions with no real breaks.

I think you can also still try at ucas extra by rejecting the bio veterinary science offer ( I don't know if vet med is available at ucas extra though so check it before rejecting anything and i don't know if vet med is an early application with the 16 oct deadline)

I personally understand the toxic home, I know it would be very hard especially if the parents don't agree with taking a gap year. But I still really advice so take a gap year - abviously after trying at clearing and ucas extra. It's much better than pesuing a degree that you don't like, a degree is A LOT of work, time, energy and money and spending all that on something that you don't like isn't very pleasant.

I hope everything ends up fine with you 🤍
(edited 2 months ago)
Thankyou for the kindness 🫶 im trying my best to stay positive, I really wish I could take a gap year and reapply but I’d rather be in debt and miserable in a degree I hate than live another year at home
Reply 5
Thankyou for the kindness 🫶 im trying my best to stay positive, I really wish I could take a gap year and reapply but I’d rather be in debt and miserable in a degree I hate than live another year at home
Ah ok then😊 maybe try to find a uni that allows you to transfere after year 1, some do allow you to apply and have an interview etc. If you end up considering this try to find ones that have the transfer process not extremely competitive 🤍 you can find some of these data in Freedom of Information Request or simply call the uni and ask about the success rate of transfer to vet med
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 6
I get that, I'd say your best-case scenario is to live with a friend or family member, offer to pay rent if you have to and do that by getting a full-time job. Do a gap year and use that passion to work at more work experiences, lambing, farms, clinics, and abattoirs. Apply strategically this November and use this to prove your determination and resilience, both characteristics they look for in vets. Its ok to feel saddened or disappointed but I guarantee if you're willing to fight to be a Vet, this is not the end of the road. Its only over if you give up hope. When you get into Vet school, you'll have an advantage in skills and knowledge if you use your gap year wisely. Good luck.
Reply 7
I’m going to be honest, if you don’t have a great home life I think doing vet med as a grad is probably the worst possible option for you; you will have to fund the vet med course yourself if you take out a tuition loan for the biovet degree. So you either have to find the money yourself or take out a loan from the bank which is very risky.

There’s a slim chance a couple of the vet courses will go into clearing but honestly you would be better to get yourself a full time job, move out into a house share or something like that and reapply unless you are prepared to try and find 50k+ in a few years 😬

Starting a biovet degree on the off chance you get into vet med isn’t ideal either because it’s not what you want to do and you will then still have to pay one year of tuition without finance.

I don’t envy your situation but if all else fails I think working and getting your own place would be the best choice to make!
I get that, I'd say your best-case scenario is to live with a friend or family member, offer to pay rent if you have to and do that by getting a full-time job. Do a gap year and use that passion to work at more work experiences, lambing, farms, clinics, and abattoirs. Apply strategically this November and use this to prove your determination and resilience, both characteristics they look for in vets. Its ok to feel saddened or disappointed but I guarantee if you're willing to fight to be a Vet, this is not the end of the road. Its only over if you give up hope. When you get into Vet school, you'll have an advantage in skills and knowledge if you use your gap year wisely. Good luck.

I have no friends or family I could stay with, sadly it’s just not an option for me, I love the idea of being resilient and taking a gap year but I cannot have another year of abuse at home
Original post by ALEreapp
I’m going to be honest, if you don’t have a great home life I think doing vet med as a grad is probably the worst possible option for you; you will have to fund the vet med course yourself if you take out a tuition loan for the biovet degree. So you either have to find the money yourself or take out a loan from the bank which is very risky.

There’s a slim chance a couple of the vet courses will go into clearing but honestly you would be better to get yourself a full time job, move out into a house share or something like that and reapply unless you are prepared to try and find 50k+ in a few years 😬

Starting a biovet degree on the off chance you get into vet med isn’t ideal either because it’s not what you want to do and you will then still have to pay one year of tuition without finance.

I don’t envy your situation but if all else fails I think working and getting your own place would be the best choice to make!

I agree with everything you said, but I live in london and I don’t know anyone who has been able to successfully move out without university. And even then they had family support I have absolutely nothing.
Reply 10
I agree with everything you said, but I live in london and I don’t know anyone who has been able to successfully move out without university. And even then they had family support I have absolutely nothing.
There is no need to make decisions now, u can accept that offer for now and you will still be able to withdraw from it anytime with no problem. You can try to find some vet med at clearing. I'm afraid that the options are limited☹️
I know someone who is a first year biovet at RVC, and she is applying to vet med again, whilst at uni, so that could be an option. But I don't know how her finances etc work
You only get the governments loans for your first degree not a second degree. Plus very few unis let your transfer into vet med its highly risky to even think of it. Nottingham often gives a few places for vet med in clearing. There is a new uni opening this year that might be easier to get into. If you dont get an offer before hand be prepared for clearing. As a last resort rent a room and work for a year and reapply next year. Many take 2 or 3 years to get accepted onto the Vet med course.
GUYS I GOT INTO SURREY YESTERDAY 🫶 Thankyou all for all the advice on here, I’m really grateful, it’s quite literally a miracle since they gave out the bulk of their offers about 2 months ago.
Wayyyyyy we're all so very proud of you, well done and i hope to see you at a conference or smth!
Reply 15

Hi, in similar situation and feeling rubbish as been offered Veterinary Bioscience instead of BVet. If I start Bioscience 1st year course, can I reapply via UCAS gateway BVet at RVC?
Reply 16
GUYS I GOT INTO SURREY YESTERDAY 🫶 Thankyou all for all the advice on here, I’m really grateful, it’s quite literally a miracle since they gave out the bulk of their offers about 2 months ago.

Hi, Congrats. Can u please give tips on how to clear the written test to Surrey ?
Reply 17
Original post by ALEreapp

Is it allowed to start Bioscience degree and reapply into BVet/ gateway again?
Original post by Sb9000
Hi, in similar situation and feeling rubbish as been offered Veterinary Bioscience instead of BVet. If I start Bioscience 1st year course, can I reapply via UCAS gateway BVet at RVC?

RVC’s entry requirements for their gateway are quite strict. I don’t think you’ll be able to start a degree and then get onto their gateway. I didn’t meet the requirements because of completing two forms of Level 3 qualification. Email their admissions for confirmation though

I know HKVS will accept transfers from first year students from students on a course at their uni’s (I.e vet nursing, vet bioscience etc) but there are only 5 places reserved for them, so it’s best performance. Otherwise they do foundation year (Access to vet med) then you can transfer, but you aren’t competing for a place, there are 20 places in total (10 for harper and 10 for keele foundation courses)
Sorry, but I'm not too sure about RVC's policies regarding reapplying to gateway courses because it's a pretty specific scenario, but I'd suggest sending RVC an email and asking them. As for the written test, I think you mean the Situational judgment form. The only tip I can give is to read the RVCS day one competencies. Questions are new every year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending