The Student Room Group

What would you never want in your home even with unlimited money?

a hottub

Scroll to see replies

A canopy bed. Most are ugly and a simple one is good enough for a good sleep.
a cinema room. Look i get the idea of it, in fact i love it, but unless you're living in a house with 7+ people - i dont see the point in it
Original post by TomokoRainMaker
a cinema room. Look i get the idea of it, in fact i love it, but unless you're living in a house with 7+ people - i dont see the point in it

You can invite as many people as you want. Not always, but sometimes for a good time in front of a big screen. :smile:
A pond in the garden.
They are nice and all that but are just too much hassle.
Fridge that can connect to the internet.

Just, why??
Original post by artful_lounger

Just, why??

Admittedly a crazy idea, but so senseless. One of these things people don't need, but crave for to own.
One of those American garbage disposals that connect to the sink - I'd be terrified of losing a finger!
A swimming pool. It’s a huge risk, especially if there are kids around.
Original post by EVRoosevelt
One of those American garbage disposals that connect to the sink - I'd be terrified of losing a finger!

I know what you are mean. These things are so dangerous. It is nice to chop the garbage, but a disaster when it happens to a finger. :eek:
Bugs.

Just, why??

I know someone who has this. It’s basically a fridge with an iPad screen built into the front door.

They use it for a few things: When you’re out grocery shopping, you can see a live camera feed of what’s in your fridge and remind yourself what items you need If you’re at home and an item runs out, you can add it to your online grocery basket for the next delivery.

But more than that, it just gets used as the family iPad, where it’s up in a central location for everyone to see and use. It has the family calendar on it so they all know when the kids’ hockey practice is, they use it to display family photos, most of the control of their smart home appliances (heating, ring doorbell etc.) happens from there.

Original post by TomokoRainMaker
a cinema room. Look i get the idea of it, in fact i love it, but unless you're living in a house with 7 people - i dont see the point in it

I agree with this. In general I don’t see the point of having a private cinema, private swimming pool, private bowling alley, private games arcade etc. that rich people often have in their houses.

Half the fun of these things is the fact that you’re going out and spending time in public, sharing the experience with others.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
They use it for a few things: When you’re out grocery shopping, you can see a live camera feed of what’s in your fridge and remind yourself what items you need If you’re at home and an item runs out, you can add it to your online grocery basket for the next delivery.

But this is just pointless - you can achieve the same thing by just opening a regular fridge, looking what is inside, and adding them to a piece of paper stuck to the fridge with a magnet! Then you can go out and buy it however you want as and when...
But this is just pointless - you can achieve the same thing by just opening a regular fridge, looking what is inside, and adding them to a piece of paper stuck to the fridge with a magnet! Then you can go out and buy it however you want as and when...

Yeah you can, but we could say that about pretty much any technology, there’s always a way to cope without it.

It just makes things slightly more convenient e.g. saving you the effort of writing a shopping list on a piece of paper and taking it with you. And there’s the fact that it’s real time, so if an item finishes while you’re out of the house, you’ll know about it and be able to buy it again.
Yeah you can, but we could say that about pretty much any technology, there’s always a way to cope without it.

It just makes things slightly more convenient e.g. saving you the effort of writing a shopping list on a piece of paper and taking it with you. And there’s the fact that it’s real time, so if an item finishes while you’re out of the house, you’ll know about it and be able to buy it again.

I think you're overstating how big a difference it is having a physically written shopping list vs a digital one. This isn't like the difference between manually churning butter at the homestead vs buying it mass produced by machines...it doesn't even save time realistically since it takes just as long for most people to write something out as type it out. Plus if the internet goes out, you miss an update, the power goes out etc, there goes your shopping list...

It's just using technology for the sake of it for the majority of circumstances (at a considerable waste of resources, I might add - the rare earth metals used to make all the microchips in that technology not to mention the screens themselves, are not renewable or even sustainable. Wood farms for paper making have been in existence for a long time and you can grow more wood), rather than using it to actually develop a technology that would improve some other factor.

It's at best absurdly pointless and at worst an incredibly wasteful expression of conspicuous consumption.
I think you're overstating how big a difference it is having a physically written shopping list vs a digital one.

I’m not saying it’s a “big” difference. I’m just saying depending on how you use it, it can be more convenient. For people for whom money isn’t an issue, that extra convenience might be worth it, even if it’s only slight.

That’s as opposed to it being technology that just ends up sitting there without ever getting used because it was already more convenient perform the task the old fashioned way. (Or indeed, technology that does more harm than good).
(edited 6 months ago)
CCTV inside the property, gardens or on the roof.
A Man Utd fan. It would just make the place feel dirty.
Reply 18
Anything 'smart'. Like, why should I to talk to some weird pebble when I can just get up and turn the lights off? Why? Just WHY?
I feel quite strongly about this :redface:
A swimming pool. It’s a huge risk, especially if there are kids around.

I have no kids and thus a diminished risk. I would buy it, if I can.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending