The Student Room Group

Newcastle United F.C. Society

Welcome to the Newcastle United F.C. Society
Home to some of the most passionate, proud and greatest fans in the country, with worldwide acclaim for the brilliant Toon Army. With fans scattered across the globe around Scandinavia, Hong Kong, Japan, America, Australia and, of course, in the United Kingdom, the club is one of the most supported in Britain, as well as being an established Premier League team taking in pride in being in every Premiership season since King Kev first got us promoted for the 1993-1994 season.

Andy Cole spearheaded Keegan's Entertainers in the early years and helped Newcastle survive from oblivion

40 Years of Hurt
2009 marks the 40th anniversary of Newcastle United's last major title win, the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup against Újpesti Dózsa of Hungary. Since then, Newcastle have flattered to deceive on so many occasions, coming agonisingly close repeatedly, with one League Cup runner-up, one Charity Shield runner-up, 3 FA Cup runner-ups, and twice coming runner-ups in the Premier League, both times losing out to Manchester United. Even when it looked destined for Keegan's entertainers to claim the title - gaining a 12 point gap at the top at one point in the 1995-1996 season - it was snatched away, shortly after an infamous "I'll love it" rant by Keegan.

Kevin Keegan shortly before missing out on the elusive Premier League crown

The Entertainers
With the Kevin Keegan era, Newcastle United became increasingly renowned for playing some of the most fluent, attacking football the Premiership has ever seen. The epitome of this consisted of Alan Shearer accompanied by Sir Les up front, Rob Lee, David Ginola, the legendary Peter Beardsley, Phillip Albert all lined up in the same team. It culminated in some of the most brilliant matches English football has ever seen:
Liverpool 4 - 3 Newcastle United
Newcastle United 3 - 2 Barcelona
Newcastle United 5 - 0 Manchester United
Newcastle United 7 - 1 Tottenham Hotspur

After several false starts under Dalgliesh and Guillet, Newcastle finally returned as the Entertainers under Sir Bobby Robson, heralded as one of the greatest legends in the club's history. After a seeming decline down the table, Robson instantly worked magic by revitalising Alan Shearer as Newcastle destroyed Sheffield Wednesday 8 - 0 in his first game in charge. Under a new dynamic attacking force, Newcastle's new entertainers consisted of Alan Shearer, Kieron Dyer, Jermaine Jenas, Craig Bellamy, Laurent Robert and, for a short time, Rob Lee. This new brand of players helped Newcastle reach the promised land of the Champions League once more - one of the greatest experiences in recent memory.

Sir Bobby Robson lead Newcastle back to being title challengers

Recent Decline
Despite the best efforts of Graeme Souness, Glen Roeder, Sam Allardyce, Kevin Keegan and current manager Joe Kinnear, Newcastle United have never been able to reach the heights that they achieved under Sir Bobby Robson and King Kev's first era. Even with the addition of some legendary players such as Michael Owen and Patrick Kluivert, or hot up and comers in Obafemi Martins and James Milner, Newcastle could never reach up to the current Premier League standards set by the "Big Four". Many of those players either disappointed and were living in their own shadow or failed to lead up to their potential, and the managers could not get the full potential out of them quite like Robson could.

The Dream Partnership of Michael Owen and Alan Shearer was short lived

Newcastle United Gallery

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

:biggrin: i say this every year, but this year is going to be our year :cool:

so anyway, think we can handle Lillestrom on saturday?

our only striker is Ameobi, no Owen, Shearer, Dyer.... not good :frown:
Reply 2
There is already a topic about Newcastle United. :wink:
Zlatan
There is already a topic about Newcastle United. :wink:
yesh, but this is the society :wink:
Reply 4
Not a very popular one, by all accounts. :wink:

Only joking. You've got to love the Souness magic.
Reply 5
Zlatan
Not a very popular one, by all accounts. :wink:

Only joking. You've got to love the Souness magic.

Oooo im gonna start the society. im the starter of THE newcastle thread. it wont be our year. we need a year to recover from souness.
Go Saiyamana! :biggrin: yep, you definitely need a striker! Interested in RVN? :p:
darth_vader05
Interested in RVN? :p:

I am. How much? :p:
NDGAARONDI
I am. How much? :p:
I think £15 million should be enough, wire the money into my offshores account:cool: :p:
darth_vader05
I think £15 million should be enough, wire the money into my offshores account:cool: :p:

Funnily enough I was hinking around £15m. Sell off Crespo for £12 and Chelsea are done. :cool:
Reply 10
NDGAARONDI
Funnily enough I was hinking around £15m. Sell off Crespo for £12 and Chelsea are done. :cool:

Duff To Newcastle. £10million
Vintage

Good deal.
NDGAARONDI
What about swapping Crespo + £15million :p:

Would you want RVN at Chelsea?
Vintage
Is that a done deal? Newcastle have a good midfield, but I think they need to fix the back four a little.
darth_vader05
What about swapping Crespo + £15million :p:

Nah. The more talented striker isn't yours. :p:

darth_vader05
Would you want RVN at Chelsea?

Wouldn't object if he moved to Chelsea. But since we got Kalou may as well not bother for another striker even if Crespo left.
NDGAARONDI
Nah. The more talented striker isn't yours. :p:

Wouldn't object if he moved to Chelsea. But since we got Kalou may as well not bother for another striker even if Crespo left.
That's a matter of opinion I guess. :p:

How much did you get Kalou for? So you've four strikers now aswell.
darth_vader05
That's a matter of opinion I guess. :p:

On individual talent it goes to Crespo. :p:

darth_vader05
How much did you get Kalou for? So you've four strikers now aswell.

Good question. I don't actually know, it's one of those which are termed, "Undisclosed fee".

Four strikers? Drogba, Crespo, Shevchenko and I'll assume you mean Kalou as well.
Reply 17
Kalou seems happy on the wings as well. He's one of those "multi-functional" players Jose was talking about like Essien and Gallas.
NDGAARONDI
On individual talent it goes to Crespo. :p:

Good question. I don't actually know, it's one of those which are termed, "Undisclosed fee".

Four strikers? Drogba, Crespo, Shevchenko and I'll assume you mean Kalou as well.
My mummy always told me to tell the truth so....... you're half right :p:

Yep, I meant Kalou aswell but it may be five if you get RVN:wink:
LH
Kalou seems happy on the wings as well. He's one of those "multi-functional" players Jose was talking about like Essien and Gallas.

And Shevchenko has played on the wings so we could have a very attacking side:

----------Cech------------
Gallas----Terry--Carvalho
------Essien/Makelele-----
SWP-----------------J Cole
-------Ballack/Lampard
--Shevchenko------Kalou
---------Drogba----------

Whacky formation. :/

Then you could take off Ballack or Lampard for a swap or put on Robben. :eek:

Latest