The Student Room Group

Anyone on here from a 'non-target uni' got a summer internship in banking?

Hi
I've applied to quite a few different banks (bulge bracket and small, mainly for Sales or Trading internships) and a couple of asset management firms and have been decline by about two thirds of them so far.
Just wondering if anyone has management to get an interview or anything really whose from a non-target uni? (i.e not top 5 or 6)
Btw i'm from a Russell Group Uni but not a 'target uni' and studying Economics with a high 2.1 last year so i thought i might have a bit of a chance of at least getting a phone interview or something. The same has happened to other people on my course I know, no one has really got anything (yet anyway).
Anyone in a similar situation managed to get anything?
Cheers
Reply 1
Original post by amilton321

Post this in the Investment Banking forum

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I know about 10 people who got into IB/asset management, all coming from Southampton with high 2.1s/firsts in Economics. (Read, that's only within my social group. I've no idea who get in from other disciplines or outside my social group, given there are 5,000 people per undergraduate year.)

As long as you do well in your degree, are committed, have the ECs to talk about etc, then you should be fine. Also, vitally important is you need to be able to answer the questions in the applications form well -- If anything, it is more that this is the issue with applicants from "lesser" universities. But even if someone is from LSE or Oxford, if their answers are absolute rubbish, they won't get into IB/asset management.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending