The Student Room Group

UKIP leader Nigel Farage wants to reinstate civilian's gun rights at home.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InnerTemple

He discovered that one of his councillors was under the impression that homosexuals are to blame for bad weather.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25901814
Original post by SilverAlex
This is nonsensical. Frightening to believe that the majority think as you do, utterly ludicrous.
You can't dispute the facts.

Because there aren't any.

Look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States
Original post by Scienceisgood
Hey Guys;

Well, UKIP leader Nigel Farage has called for the ban on hand guns in homes to be lifted stating “We need a proper gun-licensing system which to a large extent we already have and I think the ban on handguns is ludicrous.”.

Views?

My view - which civilised society would give guns to civilians?!
Allowing this would only increase gun crime because, what's to stop a child finding their parent's gun and taking it to school or play with it only to shoot themselves or someone else potentially killing someone or worse (paralysed for life, permanent damage i.e. bullet goes through a person's lung etc...)

I swear UKIP like to make themselves look like idiots...

Source:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-calls-end-gun-3058380#.UuQptxDFKUk

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2545312/Now-Farage-wants-lift-ban-handguns.html

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jan/24/nigel-farage-uk-gun-control-laws-relaxed

You ask which civilised country allows its citizens to have guns. This one, for a start, and quite rightly. Many hundreds of thousands of people hold licenses for shotguns and rifles to go shooting, this group of people are some of the most law abiding people in society. It has been said by many people many times before in this debate, and I'm going to repeat it here - legally held guns do not make any contribution to gun crime.

Gun licenses are granted following a procedure which involves criminal record checks and home visits among other things. Owners are legally required to lock guns and ammunition away in secure safes (I'm pretty sure they use home visits to recommend secure places in the house to put said safes).
And they can be revoked for minor incidents. And they are also temporarily suspended if the gun owner is investigated or has an allegation made against them. People can and do lose licenses permanently. Prison sentences also lead to revoked licenses. People have even lost them for things like traffic offences.

What leads you to believe that allowing handguns to be held under license in the same way that shotguns and rifles already are will lead to gun crime? Gun crime is caused by illegal guns which have no link to legally held firearms. It is worth pointing out that gun crime actually increased in the years following the handgun ban (1997 I think).

People must remember that this country is completely different to the USA where it's lax gun controls mean anyone can get a gun, regardless of whether they are responsible or not. We have an effective licensing system here in the UK, America does not. Comparisons with America are useless and add nothing to the debate.
(edited 10 years ago)

Let's get this straight, I'm not calling for laws like in the US where every citizen is free to purchase assault rifles and can mow down rival gangs.
I'm talking along the lines of the Nordic countries like Finland, Sweden an Norway. Every citizen is free to purchase as long as they are trained in the use and has a background check. They have almost the same homicide rate as us, proving that guns do not incur crime.
we would all be dead in 3 and a half days:rant::rip::rip:
Hey Guys;

Well, UKIP leader Nigel Farage has called for the ban on hand guns in homes to be lifted stating “We need a proper gun-licensing system which to a large extent we already have and I think the ban on handguns is ludicrous.”.

Views?

Allowing this would only increase gun crime because, what's to stop a child finding their parent's gun and taking it to school or play with it only to shoot themselves or someone else potentially killing someone or worse (paralysed for life, permanent damage i.e. bullet goes through a person's lung etc...)

I swear UKIP like to make themselves look like idiots...

Source:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-calls-end-gun-3058380#.UuQptxDFKUk

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2545312/Now-Farage-wants-lift-ban-handguns.html

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jan/24/nigel-farage-uk-gun-control-laws-relaxed

I honestly didn't think that UKIP could do anything to make me hate them more but wow, they've just done it. Not only is it a disgusting and disgraceful idea but there's a lot of support for gun control in the UK and this is a vote killer.
Reply 86
Original post by SMEGGGY
Other crimes.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country/ch-china/cri-crime

Murders with firearms (most recent) by country

Rank Countries Amount
# 1 South Africa: 31,918
# 2 Colombia: 21,898
# 3 Thailand: 20,032
# 4 United States: 9,369

China not even in it

That's because China doesn't provide anyone with any information about anything.
USA, Britain before 1998, Australia, Canada - which civilised society didn't let civilian buys guns more or less freely before about 1950? It was only absolute monarchies, dictatorships, and places too poor for people to afford guns.

What's to stop a child falling into a swimming pool and drowning? Should those be illegal?
Reply 88
I can't stand threads like these - there's no opinion - just endless people screaming "source?" "source?" and copy and pasting hotlinks which they don't really understand.
Original post by Clip
I can't stand threads like these - there's no opinion - just endless people screaming "source?" "source?" and copy and pasting hotlinks which they don't really understand.

Opinion is more than often pretentious diatribe without cold, hard evidence.
Reply 90
Opinion is more than often pretentious diatribe without cold, hard evidence.

The cold hard evidence is often meaningless in the context of a bunch of people who really have not the slightest idea what they are talking about, and only want to "win" the argument by posting more hyperlinks than the other side.
Original post by Observatory
USA, Britain before 1998, Australia, Canada - which civilised society didn't let civilian buys guns more or less freely before about 1950? It was only absolute monarchies, dictatorships, and places too poor for people to afford guns.

Australia DOESN'T allow handguns for personal/home protection. Only target practice.
Rifles are allowed for sport and target shooting only.

Canada DOES NOT allow the use of firearms to protect your home, only yourself. Thereby, keeping it restricted to your home is kind of redundant given a burglar is likely to go after your possessions, not you.

Britain before 1998 - Changed its laws and the majority of the public don't wish to see it performing a U turn.

US - Gun crime is not a good thing and outnumbers many other nations in terms of homicide with a firearm and remains a current world superpower.
(edited 10 years ago)
Australia DOESN'T allow handguns for personal/home protection. Only target practice.
Rifles are allowed for sport and target shooting only.

Canada DOES NOT allow the use of firearms to protect your home, only yourself. Thereby, keeping it restricted to your home is kind of redundant given a burglar is likely to go after your possessions, not you.

Britain before 1998 - Changed its laws and the majority of the public don't wish to see it performing a U turn.

US - Gun crime is not a good thing and outnumbers many other nations in terms of homicide with a firearm and remains a current world superpower.

"Majority of the public"
There it is again. If the public were educated on firearms and their importance than perhaps that would view would change, at the moment people are fed pretentious dribble that the UK is somehow better than the US because we don't tolerate guns.
British people are truly the most ignorant in the world.
True ignorance. People actually believe that guns increase crime.
RIP Britain, we were once great.

You quoted me, and yet I didn't say that at all. I didn't even mention that.
"Majority of the public"
There it is again. If the public were educated on firearms and their importance than perhaps that would view would change, at the moment people are fed pretentious dribble that the UK is somehow better than the US because we don't tolerate guns.
British people are truly the most ignorant in the world.

What is their importance?
Reply 95
True ignorance. People actually believe that guns increase crime.
RIP Britain, we were once great.

They might not increase crime, but they will make UK society more paranoid/ scared
Reply 96
Original post by Monkey.Man
and giving everybody else the right to have a gun will make everybody else in the community feel safer/more defensible. if a person who can't physically fight/defend themselves (e.g. they're a small woman or an elderly man), for example, had a gun, they'd be on a level playing field to chavs and thugs. also, there's nothing objectionable for law-abiding people to take licencing tests to be able to carry a gun on them if they live in a notoriously dangerous city - for example, there's a street down my way, about 5 miles away - everybody I know who's been anywhere near there has had some kind of experience with people getting punched or mugged because of the number of thuggish chavs that lurk around. perhaps we should have a gun test where you need to have at least passed uni intelligence level~, or to not have any kind of history of violence - my priority is arming those who specifically would *need* a hand gun to potentially save their lives or their family's lives. you're reasonable to be sceptical of the outcome of legalising guns, because guns are no doubt dangerous, but if everybody is allowed them (and not simply those that have the strong enough desire to break the law more than an innocent civilian) then everybody is safer. for example - I, for one, would not feel safe going down a dark alleyway in a dangerous city without some kind of firearm; a knife isn't going to give me the guarantee of safety like a gun would. how about you? again, I feel strongly for individuals that are physically weak and not capable of physical defence, and guns are their ticket to equality. I'm not encouraging people to feel ready to shoot people, I'm suggesting that guns being possessed by everybody~ has a balancing effect on crime; if there's a place where everybody has a gun, for example, why would a person shoot anybody when they'd likely get shot themselves in such an environment?

Looks long and I'm busy.

I think you misunderstood my point. Normal people wouldn't want a gun or feel the need to have a gun so they wouldn't buy one. I know multiple 'chavs' that would love to have a gun (from what they've told me)
Reply 97
Original post by GeogBerry
Looks long and I'm busy.

I think you misunderstood my point. Normal people wouldn't want a gun or feel the need to have a gun so they wouldn't buy one. I know multiple 'chavs' that would love to have a gun (from what they've told me)

there are chavs out there today with knives - knives are only effective if you're strong and agile (e.g. like a lot of chavs). if guns are legalised, basically anybody can use them without needing skill or physical strength at lose range. I'd much rather I had a gun (I have absolutely no experience with fighting) and the chav had a gun too, because the chav isn't going to try anything funny if I had a gun too, because he's not stupid enough to risk his life on a random pedestrian (assuming we're in a dangerous street). if guns are legalised, they would be your and everybody else's ticket to safety on the streets (so if you want safety, and guns are legalised, then you have nothing really to complain about, except maybe the price of a gun); even if you become outnumbered, they would still be risking their lives trying to hold you up. obviously I'm not going across to you as some gun-toting lunatic - I'd rather guns were legal so I'd (and others) have less of a probability of getting mugged, stabbed, etc. more importantly than a situation of mugging, if guns were even merely legalised for household ownership, it would mean that I'd have less chances o being burgled or home-invaded if people understand that I might have a gun on me
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Monkey.Man
there are chavs out there today with knives - knives are only effective if you're strong and agile (e.g. like a lot of chavs). if guns are legalised, basically anybody can use them without needing skill or physical strength at lose range. I'd much rather I had a gun (I have absolutely no experience with fighting) and the chav had a gun too, because the chav isn't going to try anything funny if I had a gun too, because he's not stupid enough to risk his life on a random pedestrian (assuming we're in a dangerous street). if guns are legalised, they would be your and everybody else's ticket to safety on the streets (so if you want safety, and guns are legalised, then you have nothing really to complain about, except maybe the price of a gun); even if you become outnumbered, they would still be risking their lives trying to hold you up. obviously I'm not going across to you as some gun-toting lunatic - I'd rather guns were legal so I'd (and others) have less of a probability of getting mugged, stabbed, etc. more importantly than a situation of mugging, if guns were even merely legalised for household ownership, it would mean that I'd have less chances o being burgled or home-invaded if people understand that I might have a gun on me

Then why not give everyone in the country a stab/bullet proof vest if they are THAT worried about their safety?
I would be crapping myself knowing the chav sitting next to me had a gun...
Reply 99
Then why not give everyone in the country a stab/bullet proof vest if they are THAT worried about their safety?
I would be crapping myself knowing the chav sitting next to me had a gun...

what if they put the gun to your head? you want people to wear helmets? what if they knocked the helmet off?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending