The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Best place for first years to live Huddersfield.

I will be moving to Huddersfield Uni in September and as an Irish student I know very little about the university and the town itself of Huddersfield. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction of where the best place for first years in Huddersfield is to stay. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll be going to huddersfield in September too, studying pharmacy.
The town is really nice and the uni is right next to it - right opposite kingsgate shopping centre.
The accommodation the uni recommend - storthes and ashenhurst -are a little out of the way but there are loads of other places just over the canal next to the uni. They're called aspley hall, firth point, snow island and saw mill.
I really like the look of saw mill. It's brand new and really nice so I'm probably going to book there. You can choose who you live with aswell which is a bonus going to hudds instead of other places.
What are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks so much for all that, looked up the accom you said snow island and saw milk look fab also saw the castings which looks lovely too! I am studying podiatry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Caoimhex
I will be moving to Huddersfield Uni in September and as an Irish student I know very little about the university and the town itself of Huddersfield. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction of where the best place for first years in Huddersfield is to stay. :smile:

Do not touch Storthes Hall or Ashenhurst with a barge pole. I'm living at Storthes at the minute and it's just awful, the only advantage to living here is the fact loads of other first years are here as well other than that it's a 15-20 minute bus ride to uni in the morning the buses are always packed in the mornings you're actually lucky to get on one my system is set off for the bus before so if I want to get on the half past bus I set off at 20 past.

The shop on site is really expensive so if you want anything you have to go all the way into town, took me an hour to return a library book. Nearest supermarket that isn't sainsburys is morrisons ( the only one the bus pulls up near) and even then it isn't near you have to carry your bags pretty far from morrisons to the bus stop. Nights out are also harder since you have to get taxis everywhere they have a deal with a taxi rank but it adds up after a while and you have to pay for the bus after certain times (you buy a pass at the beginning of the year which lets you on free at certain times)

The laundrette is awful to get to and most of the dryers don't work, they also have this ridiculous card system where you have to top up your card online - sounds like it's not too bad but it's actually a pain in the backside and it's expensive.

The staff are awful, it can get pretty loud here as well.

Don't get me started on the state of the rooms either, mine are infested with silverfish and they "Call out ecolab" and then tell you nothing is there even though I see them in my bathroom almost daily. Most flats have reported this also.

You're better living nearer to town, UNITE are buliding some brand new ones that will be ready for september 2014 looks like what you'll get what you pay for.

If you have any questions about the uni or anything else about storthes feel free to ask. Can't really comment on the other accommodation places though, I hear mixed things about snow island but it is really close to uni

Also the buses aren't very regular either, every 15 mins in the morning then every half an hour after that and then every hour in the evening. Also hourly on weekends
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by victoriajackson
Do not touch Storthes Hall or Ashenhurst with a barge pole. I'm living at Storthes at the minute and it's just awful, the only advantage to living here is the fact loads of other first years are here as well other than that it's a 15-20 minute bus ride to uni in the morning the buses are always packed in the mornings you're actually lucky to get on one my system is set off for the bus before so if I want to get on the half past bus I set off at 20 past.

The shop on site is really expensive so if you want anything you have to go all the way into town, took me an hour to return a library book. Nearest supermarket that isn't sainsburys is morrisons ( the only one the bus pulls up near) and even then it isn't near you have to carry your bags pretty far from morrisons to the bus stop. Nights out are also harder since you have to get taxis everywhere they have a deal with a taxi rank but it adds up after a while and you have to pay for the bus after certain times (you buy a pass at the beginning of the year which lets you on free at certain times)

The laundrette is awful to get to and most of the dryers don't work, they also have this ridiculous card system where you have to top up your card online - sounds like it's not too bad but it's actually a pain in the backside and it's expensive.

The staff are awful, it can get pretty loud here as well.

Don't get me started on the state of the rooms either, mine are infested with silverfish and they "Call out ecolab" and then tell you nothing is there even though I see them in my bathroom almost daily. Most flats have reported this also.

You're better living nearer to town, UNITE are buliding some brand new ones that will be ready for september 2014 looks like what you'll get what you pay for.

If you have any questions about the uni or anything else about storthes feel free to ask. Can't really comment on the other accommodation places though, I hear mixed things about snow island but it is really close to uni

Also the buses aren't very regular either, every 15 mins in the morning then every half an hour after that and then every hour in the evening. Also hourly on weekends

Thank you so much for all that! That was a huge help, I contacted the uni and asked them where I should stay and they said Storthes Hall or Ashenhurst but after that I certainly won't be going there! The fact that its 15/20 minutes on a bus in the morning is off putting as well! They sound awful! Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 5
Hey Guys, Im a first year now and I live in Snow Island now. It's great here and a good sense of community. The staff are great and always helppful. Plus its only 2 mins from the uni. If you want to move to the new one its called Saw Mill and run by the same people. To talk to them call 01484 455597 and mention my name. :P
Terry Gardner
Reply 6
Original post by tezzag
Hey Guys, Im a first year now and I live in Snow Island now. It's great here and a good sense of community. The staff are great and always helppful. Plus its only 2 mins from the uni. If you want to move to the new one its called Saw Mill and run by the same people. To talk to them call 01484 455597 and mention my name. :P
Terry Gardner

Do you know how much is costs for a car parking permit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by megs124
Do you know how much is costs for a car parking permit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's £440 for the year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by tezzag
It's £440 for the year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow. That's a lot! Is it the same at all places?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by megs124
Wow. That's a lot! Is it the same at all places?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty much yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
I looked at The Castings last week and it looks fabulous. Nice big kitchen and comfy sofas, room is lovely and the shower room is modern, lovely and bright. Didn't see the common room because they are still building. Then I looked at the show bedroom for sawmill that they have got at snow island. Just a show bedroom,mothered was no show kitchen. The ensuite was just as nice as the one at the castings but the room not so much. Also the wardrobe had a ridiculously small hanging rail in it. Could be a deal breaker with us girls haha. Staff at snow island are really friendly and snow is very sociable so I expect sawmill will be the same. Also sawmill is nearer to the uni and I spotted an asda, iceland, kfc and a subway across the road. The castings about an 8 min walk from the uni and didn't have a lot around it. I seen a kebab place and a newsagents type shop. Also sawmill is a short walk into town for the shops and nightlife. It would probably take about 15 mins from the castings. Hope this helps :smile: im still torn between the 2
I forgot to say there is no parking at the castings, but everywhere is so easy to get around you wouldn't really need a car
Reply 12
im going for aspely, great facilities, its closer and cheaperr
Original post by cooldude17
im going for aspely, great facilities, its closer and cheaperr

When I visited snow island on the open day I went to see aspley but nobody was free to show me a room and I didn't find the staff as friendly as snow island. Saying that it was moving in day and they were probably stressed. I seen the gym and pool but I didn't like the courtyard. Snow island looked like it would be more sociable. I just didn't get a nice feel about aspley. What are you studying?
Reply 14
Original post by Edna94
When I visited snow island on the open day I went to see aspley but nobody was free to show me a room and I didn't find the staff as friendly as snow island. Saying that it was moving in day and they were probably stressed. I seen the gym and pool but I didn't like the courtyard. Snow island looked like it would be more sociable. I just didn't get a nice feel about aspley. What are you studying?

im currently at college doing IT, aspley now have show flats running which is why u werent able to view it before
Reply 15
Wow, things have certainly changed!
I lived in Ashenhurst back in 97-98 as a first year and loved it.
Storthes Hall was brand new Uni accom and expensive.
The walk from Ashenhurst took about 20 mins if memory serves, but the uphill on the way back was a killer!
I liked how we had distinct houses rather than corridors of rooms.
Also, the early summer of 98, the sun was blazing, someone brought a dj setup outside, everyone was laid about on the grass and my homebrew cider could kill cockroaches but was like rocketfuel! Magical times...
Note, on my 2nd degree, I have to juggle Uni work with married life and grown up things..boring!
Reply 16
Original post by cooldude17
im currently at college doing IT, aspley now have show flats running which is why u werent able to view it before

I would say if you want something with a bit more "Party" then don't go to Aspley as it's very quiet

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want lively but not mayhem if you get me.
Original post by KevM
Wow, things have certainly changed!
I lived in Ashenhurst back in 97-98 as a first year and loved it.
Storthes Hall was brand new Uni accom and expensive.
The walk from Ashenhurst took about 20 mins if memory serves, but the uphill on the way back was a killer!
I liked how we had distinct houses rather than corridors of rooms.
Also, the early summer of 98, the sun was blazing, someone brought a dj setup outside, everyone was laid about on the grass and my homebrew cider could kill cockroaches but was like rocketfuel! Magical times...
Note, on my 2nd degree, I have to juggle Uni work with married life and grown up things..boring!

Sounds like you had an amazing time :smile:
Anyone studying Music or Music and sound for image? :smile: feel free to contact if you want to :smile:
I can't choose where to stay:
Firth Point
Aspley Halls
Ashenhurst
Snow Island
Did anyone ACTUALLY live there that can give advice on either of the listed accommodation? :smile:
Thanks so much in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending