The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm an international student applying this year for Maths and CompSci at Oxford. Here's a glimpse of my record:
CIE O'Levels: 10 A*s and 1 Outstanding Learner Award
A Levels: A*AAA in Mathematics (A2), Physics, Chemistry, Computing (AS) with A's in all modules. CIE doesn't offer Further Mathematics at AS so I'll be taking FM this year.
Other relevant activities: Top positions in national maths competitions, wide reading beyond A'level curriculum, several online maths courses from MIT's OpenCourseWare, Harvard's CS50, voluntary work at a local NGO.
So, what are my chances of getting an offer provided I do reasonably well on MAT?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by amol_chalis447
I'll let TLG find her way to this post and sell you on Woosta :lol:

:angel:

:ahee:

:ninja:

qxbs
In terms of size, I'd want it to be large and diverse. I'd like to be close to the center though. I'd prefer more modern accommodation, and bigger rooms and stuff (Not really sure about the whole prices thing). With all of these though, I really could sacrifice them had I got in... I don't mind, I just want to pick the right one that I stand a good chance at.

- Woosta is the fourth biggest college (I believe), in terms of size and grounds. The buildings are quite varied, ranging from the 1200s to a few years ago! So there's that diversity and variety. There is a small lake and multi-purpose sports grounds on site.

- Despite the 1200s accommodation, quite a lot of the accommodation is modern. 72% of Woosta accommodation is en suite and has access to good kitchen facilities. The rooms vary from tiny (in the 1200s buildings) to pretty damn big (the Goldfish Bowl). You could put in a request for a bigger/en suite room from the offset if you wanted to and they will try and give it to you.

Anything else you'd like to know? :h:
What happens if your referee writes you a bad reference? with bad I mean that the reference is short and not descriptive in an adequate manner?
Original post by Brazuca
I'm an international student applying this year for Maths and CompSci at Oxford. Here's a glimpse of my record:
CIE O'Levels: 10 A*s and 1 Outstanding Learner Award
A Levels: A*AAA in Mathematics (A2), Physics, Chemistry, Computing (AS) with A's in all modules. CIE doesn't offer Further Mathematics at AS so I'll be taking FM this year.
Other relevant activities: Top positions in national maths competitions, wide reading beyond A'level curriculum, several online maths courses from MIT's OpenCourseWare, Harvard's CS50, voluntary work at a local NGO.
So, what are my chances of getting an offer provided I do reasonably well on MAT?

Hi. From what you've said we'd be very happy to receive an application from you.

We can't really predicted how you'll get on with the MAT, but I suggest that you take a look at the past papers here: https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/how-apply/mat They will give you an idea of the level of Maths we're looking for.

Good luck with your application & feel free to get in touch if you have questions.
Original post by Degiac
Course: Computer Science
College: St John's

We don't have anything like GCSEs or A Levels here. We get yearly grades and sit a final exam, so I think these will do just fine for the purpose of this thread.

Last year grades:
10/10 Informatics
10/10 Network systems
10/10 technology and design of computer systems and telecommunications
8/10 maths (even with a perfect test you can't get more than that with my math teacher. It sucks, but it's how it works here. Hope this won't lower my chances)
other >=8/10 marks in non - relevant subjects

Predicted result for the "Esame di Maturità": 100/100

Anything else relevant:
2nd place in regional Informatics Olympiad, didn't score well at the national one but I'll try again this year (before the application :tongue:)
1st place at School's math competition
Worked on various small projects
Student representative in the school's administrative board for years
Vicepresident of the Provincial Student's Council

International Candidate from Italy

A little update! I just came back from the OII (Italian Olympiad in Informatics) and I got a Silver medal (23 points off gold :/ but at least I'm first within the Silvers). Thanks to this, I've been invited to the Training Camp for the IOI 2015. If it goes well, I may be part of the Italian IOI 2015 team :biggrin: Now it's time to write my PS
(edited 9 years ago)
My application was sent to UCAS yesterday (internal college deadline). So now I'm waiting for my college to send off my reference and then it's the MAT in November! :eek:
Original post by Degiac
A little update! I just came back from the OII (Italian Olympiad in Informatics) and I got a Silver medal (23 points off gold :/ but at least I'm first within the Silvers). Thanks to this, I've been invited to the Training Camp for the IOI 2015. If it goes well, I may be part of the Italian IOI 2015 team :biggrin: Now it's time to write my PS

Holy **** you guys start your selection early!
Original post by souktik
Holy **** you guys start your selection early!

Well it's not that early actually... IOI 2015 is in only 10 months from now
Original post by Degiac
Well it's not that early actually... IOI 2015 is in only 10 months from now

Haha it's extremely early compared to India.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souktik
Haha it's extremely early compared to India.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What if I tell you that the first selection was held in November 2013? :P That's early
Original post by BIGDIKC
What happens if your referee writes you a bad reference? with bad I mean that the reference is short and not descriptive in an adequate manner?
It could be something the Oxford tutors are concerned about, but it seems unlikely to prevent you getting a place if the rest of your application is fine.
Original post by qxbs
x
Original post by amol_chalis447
The next best for you might be St. John's, which has a nice location and is very rich (so accommodation and food is the cheapest in Oxford). Come to think of it, you might like it more than Worcester...Anyhow I'll leave it to fluteflute to convince you of that :smile: http://www.sjc.ox.ac.uk/357/Accommodation-and-Meals.html

St John's is certainly a lovely place to be :biggrin: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Oxford_College_Pros_and_Cons#St_John.27s_College
Original post by sarcasmrules
My application was sent to UCAS yesterday (internal college deadline). So now I'm waiting for my college to send off my reference and then it's the MAT in November! :eek:

Yay :party:
I should have gone to Oxford open day gaaaaaah

What am I doing with my life
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I should have gone to Oxford open day gaaaaaah

What am I doing with my life

You can go pretty much any day and they'll let you look around :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucilou101
You can go pretty much any day and they'll let you look around :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is my plan

Apply Cambridge

If rejected, visit Oxford and if I do really well on results day apply post a level there
This is my plan

Apply Cambridge

If rejected, visit Oxford and if I do really well on results day apply post a level there

Out of curiosity, why not reapply to Cambridge if that's your first choice?
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Out of curiosity, why not reapply to Cambridge if that's your first choice?

I mean if I visit Oxford and I do like it

Because everything is saying try Cambridge but I have this feeling I want to go to Oxford... I can't explain what it is which is why I don't want to act on it impulsively
This is my plan

Apply Cambridge

But seriously, visiting Oxford won't be a problem. I couldn't make it to their open day and the colleges were ridiculously helpful. Even if you end up applying for Cambridge, at least you won't be thinking "I could have applied to Oxford".
Original post by Chlorophile
But seriously, visiting Oxford won't be a problem. I couldn't make it to their open day and the colleges were ridiculously helpful. Even if you end up applying for Cambridge, at least you won't be thinking "I could have applied to Oxford".

I have no money atm either

Just bought a PS4 lol

Hmmm

Latest

Trending

Trending