The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by samthemiller
why did you do them all? I'm just doing the regular 4 A levels and general studies at the moment, and I'm intending to drop one next year, so my work flow is pretty standard

I didn't do Further Maths when I started, but I was doing very well in class and was finding the pace pretty slow. I was advised to do Further, but I didn't want to swap it for anything else :smile:
Original post by AKell17
I didn't do Further Maths when I started, but I was doing very well in class and was finding the pace pretty slow. I was advised to do Further, but I didn't want to swap it for anything else :smile:

ha, and you just chose not to drop one?
Reply 382
Original post by samthemiller
ha, and you just chose not to drop one?

Well I was only allowed to do 5 because of good GCSEs :smile: I chose my original A-levels because I was interested in them and I didn't wanna stop learning what I enjoyed
Original post by Noble.
I don't want to say it's bad because it's too much of a complex situation and process to label it anything. If you are a good, strong candidate who they want to give an offer to, they'll give it to you and won't think twice about the AS English.

I just hope it will be ok then. If I can do well this year it might just overshadow it? Ugh I shouldn't have done it but I got an A in the coursework so thought the exam would go well... Guess it was a dumb idea
Reply 384
Original post by AKell17
General Studies was an option at my college, and it's similar at a lot of others.
I did five 'proper' AS's and even with good GCSEs I was advised to think VERY carefully before doing it (with good reason, it was a hard slog)

Really? At my school all the further mathematicians (about 40 of us) and some others take more than 4 'proper' ones.
Reply 385
Original post by M1llward
Really? At my school all the further mathematicians (about 40 of us) and some others take more than 4 'proper' ones.

Taking Further Maths does lighten the load of five subjects, in my experience. Maths and Further is more like 1.5 subjects and it overlaps a lot with Physics at some points!
Reply 386
Original post by Noble.
Cambridge officially don't consider any qualification you sit early any differently from the ones you most recently did, and from what I can tell, Oxford pretty much have the same policy (although it isn't on the website as far as I can see, unlike Cambridge who do stipulate it on their website)

I wish I'd known this before taking AS Economics early, if AAAAAAAB doesn't actually look any better than AAAAAAA :s-smilie:
Original post by Noble.
Cambridge officially don't consider any qualification you sit early any differently from the ones you most recently did, and from what I can tell, Oxford pretty much have the same policy (although it isn't on the website as far as I can see, unlike Cambridge who do stipulate it on their website)

I saw all of the posts about early AS levels without seeing this post first, and I got a bit worried because of my Y10 C in Critical Thinking (did fairly well in the first exam, didn't care anymore in the second and got a v.low grade)
I should've read this first because they say at the bottom it won't affect my application. It probably will, but at least they have official guidelines not to take it into account like any other early subjects.

Panic over :biggrin:
Reply 388
Original post by BrassHi
You did 7 AS levels? Or am i being a dullard and is this A and AS combined...

Sort of - I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, History, Extended Project, Critical Thinking (done), Economics (done).

So that's somewhere between 5 and 8, depending on which ones you count as 'real' :s-smilie:
Original post by Noble.

Oxford call it Age and Stage and the material is here.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/courses_and_entrance_requirements/
Reply 390
Question, if someone applies after they graduate (so post IB examinations/A-levels), would they need to submit anything other than their final exam results? Eg. Termly assessments, mock exam results, etc.
Original post by NaidaA
Question, if someone applies after they graduate (so post IB examinations/A-levels), would they need to submit anything other than their final exam results? Eg. Termly assessments, mock exam results, etc.

You have to enter all qualifications you have a result for. So if your AS exams were certificated then you would have to put them down.
This includes any exams that were ungraded. You don't need to put down mock results or assessments that don't contribute to qualifications :smile:
Reply 392
Original post by Lucilou101
You have to enter all qualifications you have a result for. So if your AS exams were certificated then you would have to put them down.
This includes any exams that were ungraded. You don't need to put down mock results or assessments that don't contribute to qualifications :smile:

So basically just IB exam results (as I do IB and didn't do GCSEs)?
Original post by NaidaA
So basically just IB exam results (as I do IB and didn't do GCSEs)?

Yuuup
Course: Chemistry
College: Jesus College
GCSEs: 4 A*s, 6 As and 1 B
AS Levels: Chemistry , Maths, Physics and German (predicted 4 As) :biggrin:
Also I'm partially sighted - do you think I'll be disadvantaged at all during application? What about my gcse grades, are they good enough?? :smile:
Original post by HennersPD
Also I'm partially sighted - do you think I'll be disadvantaged at all during application? What about my gcse grades, are they good enough?? :smile:

Not gonna lie, your GCSEs are a little below Oxford's standards, but that's not to say you don't have a chance :h:

Good luck anyway, I have an offer for 2014 Chemistry, give me a shout if you have any questions :smile:
Original post by Solivagant
Not gonna lie, your GCSEs are a little below Oxford's standards, but that's not to say you don't have a chance :h:

Good luck anyway, I have an offer for 2014 Chemistry, give me a shout if you have any questions :smile:

Do you then I might be better off applying to Cambridge? What sorts of questions were you asked at interview and what were your grades for both gcse and a level? :smile:
Do you then I might be better off applying to Cambridge? What sorts of questions were you asked at interview and what were your grades for both gcse and a level? :smile:

My interview questions surprised for me. I didn't really prepare for them, but they weren't what I was expecting. The interviews at my first college asked stuff that was just a bit of an advancement on stuff I'd learned at AS, which I completely cocked up on because I had revised any of that :facepalm:

My third interview at my second college was more abstract, and was quite mathsy. I prefered that :tongue:

My GCSE grades: 6a*, 3a, 1b (and 4* BTEC ICT)
My AS grades: AAAB (Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths, Physics)

I'd wait until you get your results in August. If your UMS is excellent, then Cambridge may be a safer bet, but bear in mind you would be studying Natural Sciences and not pure chemistry.
Reply 398
Original post by Solivagant

So you had 6a*3a&1b and HennersPD has 4a*6a&1b.

I'm just wondering if Oxford fine-tunes to that extent. Your results look remarkably similar to me.
Reply 399

For Chemistry I wouldn't be put off applying with those GCSEs.

Latest

Trending

Trending