The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RyaanL97
Course: Engineering Science
College: Undecided (Suggestions?)
GCSEs: 4A* 6A
AS Results: Mathematics A (95% across core modules), Physics A, Chemistry A, History C (Is it worth retaking to get an A) and picking up AS Further Maths next year.
A2 Predictions: A* Maths, A* Physics, A Chemistry, a in FM

Do I still have a good chance due to the PAT and interviews in the application process considering my C in history, is there any extracurriculars anybody could suggest to enhance my application?

They won't pay much attention to the C in history, it says very little about how good an engineer you would be.

The PAT is definitely important :smile:

Any with extracurriculars, don't do them because they'll enhance your application - instead just read (or do) things relating to bits of physics you like, and hopefully it'll be fun :biggrin: (and have the side effect of improving your application)
Original post by flexee
Course: PPE
College: Hertford
GCSEs: 14A*, 1A
AS Results:
English A (100%)
Maths A (92%)
History A (87%)
Physics B
Further Maths C
A2 Predictions:
English A*
Maths A*
History A*
Extras:
UNIQ Summer School - PPE
Active Member of Political Group
RA Butler Politics Prize
Vellacott History Prize
Edgar Jones Philosophy Prize
Save The Children UK Volunteer Reporter
National Archives Volunteer
......... BLADDY BLADDY BLA (SO ON SO FORTH)

Honestly, have my AS grades let me down?

No not at all, they're good AS results. Of course grades don't guarantee you an offer or even interview.

The TSA is an important factor Oxford used in deciding who to interview.

(Glad UNIQ made you want to apply :biggrin:)
Original post by twelfthnight
Oh okay, thanks :biggrin: Yeah I really want to do history. I have questions though - do the tutors let you take a variety of topics, e.g. a topic from 1100 to religious and social change in 1960, or do they want you to focus on a certain time period? Also, do you need a language for history at Oxford? Do many others doing history have a language AS/A level? Do you think I will be okay without one?

I'm not a history student, but I'm fairly sure you can do some variety.

A language A level isn't essential (it's not even something that's more recommended or helpful than any other A level)
Original post by twelfthnight
Oh okay, thanks :biggrin: Yeah I really want to do history. I have questions though - do the tutors let you take a variety of topics, e.g. a topic from 1100 to religious and social change in 1960, or do they want you to focus on a certain time period? Also, do you need a language for history at Oxford? Do many others doing history have a language AS/A level? Do you think I will be okay without one?

These are the official regs for the course , this page is the modules you can take for first year - http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/examregs/10-29p2_S_R_P_E_in_History.shtml

And this is for finals -
http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/examregs/11-30t2_S_R_H_S_OF_HISTORY.shtml

Or this is the history faculty website page - http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/prospective/undergraduate/studying/single-hons.html
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by anastasiasays
Well done to everyone on results day!!!
I've unfortunately been thrown back into the Ox vs Cam conundrum (98% ums average) arrrgh

Do you prefer one course/uni to the other?
I'm an IB international student (from Canada) who is currently taking HL Chem, HL Bio and HL Business.

However, lately, I've been learning that Oxford (and most of the UK Universities) frown upon HL Business, especially for the Medicine program; as they deem it to be too "soft."

So, can any of you actually verify if this is true or not?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sellerofdreams
Your gcses are good and Oxford don't look at Ums average unless you mention it in your reference so should be fine hehe although I'm not an expert. How are u preparing for the tsa?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! My teacher was a God and separated/printed all the different types of question on TSA... So I'll do all of em as well as the Cambridge TSA ones cos they should be similar. May also buy a critical thinking book, but it's the problem solving I need to improve

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ainsworthadam97
I'm an IB international student (from the Canada) who is currently taking HL Chem, HL Bio and HL Business.

However, lately, I've been learning that Oxford (and most of the UK Universities) frown upon HL Business, especially for the Medicine program; as they deem it to be too "soft."

So, can any of you actually verify if this is true or not?

That's not one we can be sure of, as we're not the one's making the decisions.

But more generally, it's probably not looked that highly upon, but at the same time, if you're doing HL Chem and HL Bio then you're doing what they're asking for.

More important will be the BMAT (and interview). :smile: Good luck!
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
Congratulations on your excellent AS results. If you want any info on CompSci at Oxford, or have any questions please do feel free to get in touch. Either through here or <[email protected]> will come through to me too.

My school doesn't offer FM (will be mentioned in school reference). Hence, I will self-teach the AS level. How does Oxford look upon these kind of students? Are we disadvantaged compared to those taking the full A level in school?
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
My school doesn't offer FM (will be mentioned in school reference). Hence, I will self-teach the AS level. How does Oxford look upon these kind of students? Are we disadvantaged compared to those taking the full A level in school?

No. Being able to self-teach is a very valuable trait because it constitutes a good portion of what you'd be doing at Oxford. Plenty of people also don't realise that they need AS Further until the end of AS (i.e. because they realise they enjoy maths, decide on a degree where it's massively beneficial to have FM).

From your original post you also seem to overly-enthusiasticly think you're guaranteed an offer - you're not. Even with those AS-Level grades you're not going to stand out against the competition (which is why Oxford will make you do the MAT and, if shortlisted, an interview). Plenty of people with 4-5 high As at AS end up doing badly enough in the MAT to not even be invited to interview.

Hi. We do understand that some schools don't offer it. As you rightly mention, it's helpful if your teacher can tell us this in the reference and emphasise that you've self taught. The tutors will then be aware of this when the review your application.

We're looking for an interest in Maths, so it will be a positive thing that you've put in the time and effort off your own back. (There's a difference between someone not liking Maths, so not wanting to do FM - which we'd be concerned about - and not being able to take it.)

Doing it to AS is certainly better than not at all. We wouldn't include it in any offer as we only offer on three straight A Levels. But actually doing it is likely to improve your mathematical skills, which will help you in the MAT and if invited at interview.

If you do well in the MAT we'll interview you with or without FM. But if you were borderline on the MAT, and we knew you hadn't taken full FM/had self taught AS, the tutors might well use that information to pull you above the cut-off point, as we would see that you'd achieved that result without the level of support some candidates would have.

Does that help?
Original post by Noble.
No. Being able to self-teach is a very valuable trait because it constitutes a good portion of what you'd be doing at Oxford. Plenty of people also don't realise that they need AS Further until the end of AS (i.e. because they realise they enjoy maths, decide on a degree where it's massively beneficial to have FM).

From your original post you also seem to overly-enthusiasticly think you're guaranteed an offer - you're not. Even with those AS-Level grades you're not going to stand out against the competition (which is why Oxford will make you do the MAT and, if shortlisted, an interview). Plenty of people with 4-5 high As at AS end up doing badly enough in the MAT to not even be invited to interview.

I don't think I'm guaranteed an offer. During a moment of euphoria after my results, I realized they were good enough to actually make a competitive application to Oxford. I am doing good at my practice MATs, and yes, I might be overly-enthusiastic, but that's just my attitude towards everything, not only Oxford.
Hi. We do understand that some schools don't offer it. As you rightly mention, it's helpful if your teacher can tell us this in the reference and emphasise that you've self taught. The tutors will then be aware of this when the review your application.

We're looking for an interest in Maths, so it will be a positive thing that you've put in the time and effort off your own back. (There's a difference between someone not liking Maths, so not wanting to do FM - which we'd be concerned about - and not being able to take it.)

Doing it to AS is certainly better than not at all. We wouldn't include it in any offer as we only offer on three straight A Levels. But actually doing it is likely to improve your mathematical skills, which will help you in the MAT and if invited at interview.

If you do well in the MAT we'll interview you with or without FM. But if you were borderline on the MAT, and we knew you hadn't taken full FM/had self taught AS, the tutors might well use that information to pull you above the cut-off point, as we would see that you'd achieved that result without the level of support some candidates would have.

Does that help?

Yes. It's more or less what I expected. Do you by any chance have statistics on how many applicants without FM get an offer? I'm very curious.
I don't think I'm guaranteed an offer. During a moment of euphoria after my results, I realized they were good enough to actually make a competitive application to Oxford. I am doing good at my practice MATs, and yes, I might be overly-enthusiastic, but that's just my attitude towards everything, not only Oxford.

It's good to be enthusiastic about it, just don't let it bleed over into letting yourself think you've perhaps got a better chance than you really do. Subjects like maths and compsci are full of exceptional students who achieved your grades, or better, without batting an eyelid.
Yes. It's more or less what I expected. Do you by any chance have statistics on how many applicants without FM get an offer? I'm very curious.

I don't have exact statistics to hand, but, roughly for the last admissions round we made 68 offers. Of those a bit over half would have been A-Level taking students (the others having done IB, American qualifications, etc where FM wasn't an option.)

Out of those 30-something A Level-taking candidates I think there was probably 2 or 3 who hadn't taken FM to A Level.

Noble makes a good point about self-teaching above too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fluteflute
That's not one we can be sure of, as we're not the one's making the decisions.

But more generally, it's probably not looked that highly upon, but at the same time, if you're doing HL Chem and HL Bio then you're doing what they're asking for.

More important will be the BMAT (and interview). :smile: Good luck!

THANK YOU SO MUCH fluteflute, you've really helped me clear out my confusions! :smile:
I don't have exact statistics to hand, but, roughly for the last admissions round we made 68 offers. Of those a bit over half would have been A-Level taking students (the others having done IB, American qualifications, etc where FM wasn't an option.)

Out of those 30-something A Level-taking candidates I think there was probably 2 or 3 who hadn't taken FM to A Level.

Noble makes a good point about self-teaching above too.

Of course it's worth mentioning that while only 2-3 hadn't taken FM to A-Level, there probably weren't many applicants who weren't going to take FM to A2.

Also, not to mention, generally the people who end up with an offer are the kind of people who have enjoyed maths from very early on and so wanted to do FM from the beginning of A-Levels.

I say this just in case someone points out that Oxford seem to be 'discriminating' against those not taking FM to A2, when in reality it's because there's not many that don't, and they probably tend to not be the high performers on the MAT and at interview - so you shouldn't be put off applying on the basis you don't offer FM to A2.
Original post by Noble.
Of course it's worth mentioning that while only 2-3 hadn't taken FM to A-Level, there probably weren't many applicants who weren't going to take FM to A2.

Also, not to mention, generally the people who end up with an offer are the kind of people who have enjoyed maths from very early on and so wanted to do FM from the beginning of A-Levels.

I say this just in case someone points out that Oxford seem to be 'discriminating' against those not taking FM to A2, when in reality it's because there's not many that don't, and they probably tend to not be the high performers on the MAT and at interview - so you shouldn't be put off applying on the basis you don't offer FM to A2.

Indeed. I would agree with all of that.
Reply 1598
Course: Archeology and anthropology
College: still unsure, probably St Edmund's Hall or Brasenose
GCSEs: I haven't taken them as I come from Italy and I only did lower sixth in the UK
A Level Subjects: A in English Lit, Bs in politics (I'm one mark off an A), history and German (which I will drop)
Anything else relevant: I've never attended an English speaking school before this year. I have been doing a lot of reading around anthropology, and I am considering doing an AS in religious studies next year. Ideas?
Home/International Candidate: from Italy but I have just finished LVI at a boarding school in County Durham.

Do I stand any chances? Should I retake my history trying to get an A? Thank you for your help TSR! :smile: xxx
Course: Law
College: St Edmunds or Keble
GCSEs: A*AAABBCCCC (I do have personal circumstances behind these grades so I hope it makes my grades somewhat forgiveable)
A Level Subjects: Politics - A (100%), English Lit - A, History- A, Psychology - A
Anything else relevant: Internship with cambridgeshire constabulary, Scholarship at KCL pre-university school, Deputy Head Girl & prefect last year, Social Policy fellow in a young persons think tank, volunteer in youth council, hopefully running for youth MP this year, MUN, set up General Election at my school
Home/International Candidate: Home

I think it's a risk- but one worth taking? :s

Latest

Trending

Trending