The Student Room Group

Mature students entry 2007

hello, anyone else out there?

I'm 32 and currently working as a programmer for my sins. Quit my degree course 7 years and have been aimlessly wandering since.

Finally have built up a cash reserve and decided to go for it, after all it's only money right? :p:

Right now I'm primarily interested in Nottingham, Cambridge, Glasgow and Dublin... but why oh why are all the schools situated in such hideously expensive cities?

I did maths, chem & biology A-levels back in 1992 but I think I'm going to have to sit them again. Took a look at the BMAT tests today, and you may laugh at me again in 6 months time, but I'm prepared to say now that I thought they looked quite easy. :biggrin:

I currently have 2 horses, 3 dogs and 1 cat and I intend that they come with me.
Reply 1
I'm a mature student am looking at 2008 entry though
Reply 2
It's probably going to be 2008 for me too, because by the time I've gained whatever qualifications they want me to get, sell my house, transport my posessions/animals back to the UK - well, I don't really want to have to try and do all that in the next 12 months AND hold down a full-time stressful job.

So which unis do you fancy? Right now I'm swinging towards Nottingham because I really fancy a campus uni, I've done the big city thing and I really am a country girl and would rather be based in one area. I'd also quite fancy Glasgow but unless they drop their fees I'd have to think twice.

What are you doing now and what has led you back to vet sci?
Reply 3
I'm a mature student looking at 2008 entry as well! Wow, we really seem to be multiplying. For ages there hasn't really been anyone on this site in the same situation as me but recently there seem to be more mature peeps planning to do vet med.:biggrin:
I'm a vet nurse just going to be starting my science A levels in September and hoping to work as a VN throughout the degree to earn cash. I've got 4 dogs and 2 bunnies and they will be accompanying me, should I succeed!
Yay! Welcome you fellow mature students I'm really pleased to meet you all. PM me if you wanna chat (although I only manage to get on the internet about once a week!):smile:
Reply 4
I'm a mature student (25) starting vet med at Nottingham this year. Already living and working in Nottingham - with 2 dogs, 1 cat and a horse... Can't wait! What is 5 years after all!! You could easily spend that long in a dead end job you don't even like waiting for something better to come along! Nottingham seems a good choice for mature students - so I'll let you know how we get on!:smile:
Reply 5
Hettie - brilliant! Can't wait for your updates, it certainly sounds like you're more like me than a boozing 18 year old! :wink:
Reply 6
I'm starting a degree in Forensic Science this year, and my plan is to apply to Veterinary Medicine in 2009. I've been saving as much as I can stretch to, I would love to go to Nottingham and the fees there are only £3K a year which is much better than the rest of the full-fee courses!
I've been keeping up with my work experience which I suppose is one of the most essential things. You can't plan too early!
Has anyone been given any advice about A-levels you need along with a science-based degree? Are you allowed to resit them if you need better ones than you left school with?
Reply 7
Bristol and Cambridge told me I'd need to get my sciences up to date, I did them back in 92. Reading the Cambridge prospectus today they say that you have to have got your A-levels within 5 years of entry.
Reply 8
The thing is, us Scottish lot need 2 or 3 Advanced Highers, which is the same as the A-level system. I've only got advanced higher biology so I'm thinking of doing home study a-levels nearer the time. Would these be accepted do you think?
Reply 9
I would imagine that a Forensic Sciences degree would eliminate the need to get a silly advanced higher exam - but it's probably best to check. You said that you were aiming towards Notts, well they actually seem far more flexible and I got an email from them a couple of weeks ago saying that they were going to start a 6 year course so that the first year would be appropriate for non-scientists, which of course you won't be, but it does demonstrate their flexibility.

I don't think anyone with a BSc in FS is going to be asked to re-sit As!
Reply 10
hey im a graduate vet nurse just started at edinburgh (im 24 just now) i am really pleased to have choosen this city so far. even though we are based both in the city and at a campus outside, there are within 20 mins of each other and edinburgh is REALLY easy to get around! im going to be working at the vet hospital here as a nurse all being well :smile:

by 2010 the whole vet school will be out at the Bush campus, which is in a gorgeous area but very close to the city still!

anyways if you have questions please feel free to ask

beth
Reply 11
Urgh - not brilliant news. :frown: The British Council won't supervise Chemistry practicals which of course is the one A-level I REALLY need so I'm going to have to travel back to the UK to sit my chem pracs. :mad: Useless b*ggers! On a plus note though, I'm starting work part-time from October, just 4 days a week which will give me one clear day a week for studying which is great! :smile:
Reply 12
Sarahbeth: Aah, you'll know gorgeous rob then!! :adore:
Reply 13
i know Rob yes :smile: and he is loving the 7 guys to 67 women ratio lol!
Reply 14
sarahbeth
i know Rob yes :smile: and he is loving the 7 guys to 67 women ratio lol!

So he keeps telling me, he's an old friend. please send him lots of love from Ele! (Ellie)

Latest

Trending

Trending