The Student Room Group

Let's keep talking - Time To Talk Day - let's talk about mental health

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys, not sure if I have a question or just want to have a rant, but my mental health has been an increasing concern of mine over the last few weeks.

I had glandular fever when I was 14 and ever since then depression has been a perennial problem for me - with increasingly deep and sustained "outbreaks". While I was younger it wasn't so bad as I could ditch uni, or stay in bed and hate everything until I felt better. But now I've entered the world of full-time work I feel increasingly trapped with no way to escape from my episodes.

Lately, the idea of going to work makes me want to sleep and never wake up. I took a week off work last week, just confessing the basics to my boss (who was lovely about it). But I can't help but feel that everyone still thinks that "depression" is a made-up reason to be off sick, and I feel guilty for taking time off. My week off is over and I was back at work today and I'm feeling basically no better.

Has anyone had experience of being this ill in full-time employment? How did you work around it (if at all), and does anyone have any advice?
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Hi guys, not sure if I have a question or just want to have a rant, but my mental health has been an increasing concern of mine over the last few weeks.

I had glandular fever when I was 14 and ever since then depression has been a perennial problem for me - with increasingly deep and sustained "outbreaks". While I was younger it wasn't so bad as I could ditch uni, or stay in bed and hate everything until I felt better. But now I've entered the world of full-time work I feel increasingly trapped with no way to escape from my episodes.

Lately, the idea of going to work makes me want to sleep and never wake up. I took a week off work last week, just confessing the basics to my boss (who was lovely about it). But I can't help but feel that everyone still thinks that "depression" is a made-up reason to be off sick, and I feel guilty for taking time off. My week off is over and I was back at work today and I'm feeling basically no better.

Has anyone had experience of being this ill in full-time employment? How did you work around it (if at all), and does anyone have any advice?

Have you considered going part-time? I started an internship in 2010 full-time pretty much (4.5 days of work, 0.5 day of uni) and ended up in a major psychotic episode. When I was eventually fit enough to return to work they cut my days and hours, and it was SO much better.

That was an unpaid internship, so obviously they could afford to be more flexible. I just wonder whether you should cut your hours? Or at the very least, ask for some reasonable adjustments? Like, does your office have a place where you could go and take time out for 30-60 minutes (not your lunch break) if the depression was becoming too much whilst at work? :console:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Have you considered going part-time? I started an internship in 2010 full-time pretty much (4.5 days of work, 0.5 day of uni) and ended up in a major psychotic episode. When I was eventually fit enough to return to work they cut my days and hours, and it was SO much better.

That was an unpaid internship, so obviously they could afford to be more flexible. I just wonder whether you should cut your hours? Or at the very least, ask for some reasonable adjustments? Like, does your office have a place where you could go and take time out for 30-60 minutes (not your lunch break) if the depression was becoming too much whilst at work? :console:

Thanks for replying so soon. Thing is, I can't afford to work part-time at any point - I have to have a housemate just to make ends meet at the moment as it is.

Do you have any knowledge to what extent employers have to accommodate you? And presumably I will need a note from the doctors. I worry a lot that any protracted time off, or upheaval required to accommodate me will hinder my chances of progression in the future (no matter how vehemently they might deny it).

Another concern is broaching the issue in the first place. I find it very difficult to talk about the subject without getting embarrassingly upset, which puts me off telling them about it at all, frankly. I don't think they have anywhere private I can go (I've been making do with sobbing silently in the ladies when it all gets too much! Not ideal, haha...).

Do you have any knowledge to what extent employers have to accommodate you? And presumably I will need a note from the doctors. I worry a lot that any protracted time off, or upheaval required to accommodate me will hinder my chances of progression in the future (no matter how vehemently they might deny it).

Another concern is broaching the issue in the first place. I find it very difficult to talk about the subject without getting embarrassingly upset, which puts me off telling them about it at all, frankly. I don't think they have anywhere private I can go (I've been making do with sobbing silently in the ladies when it all gets too much! Not ideal, haha...).

I'm not too clear on the laws tbh but any disability (which includes depression) must be accommodated to a reasonable level, i.e. one that doesn't impinge too much upon the company's ability to run as a business.

I have never been asked by a workplace to show evidence of a disability, which I find a bit weird (given I don't look or act particularly ill), so I don't think every workplace necessarily will ask for evidence :dontknow:

It sounds like you have a nice boss. If you are worried about breaking down in front of her, maybe get your doctor to write a letter directly to your boss, outlining your depression briefly and what kind of reasonable adjustments might help you to get on better :hugs:
I'm not too clear on the laws tbh but any disability (which includes depression) must be accommodated to a reasonable level, i.e. one that doesn't impinge too much upon the company's ability to run as a business.

I have never been asked by a workplace to show evidence of a disability, which I find a bit weird (given I don't look or act particularly ill), so I don't think every workplace necessarily will ask for evidence :dontknow:

It sounds like you have a nice boss. If you are worried about breaking down in front of her, maybe get your doctor to write a letter directly to your boss, outlining your depression briefly and what kind of reasonable adjustments might help you to get on better :hugs:

Both of my bosses (my immediate boss, and his boss) are men, which does make it more difficult for me to open up - we all know how well men deal with crying women, haha. The letter from the doctor is not a bad idea at all actually, I wasn't really aware what level of support GP's can offer. Last time I went to the doctors, she just threw some Sertraline at me (which was awful and I didn't even keep taking) because there was no underlying issue is my life to actually deal with, and sent me on my way.

My boss really is lovely, it's just the invisible nature of the illness to which you alluded earlier makes me feel really guilty for using it, like people will think I'm making it up?

I will definitely think about making another appointment with my GP though, and see if I can get some sort of written notice from them for my work...

Both of my bosses (my immediate boss, and his boss) are men, which does make it more difficult for me to open up - we all know how well men deal with crying women, haha. The letter from the doctor is not a bad idea at all actually, I wasn't really aware what level of support GP's can offer. Last time I went to the doctors, she just threw some Sertraline at me (which was awful and I didn't even keep taking) because there was no underlying issue is my life to actually deal with, and sent me on my way.

My boss really is lovely, it's just the invisible nature of the illness to which you alluded earlier makes me feel really guilty for using it, like people will think I'm making it up?

I will definitely think about making another appointment with my GP though, and see if I can get some sort of written notice from them for my work...

You'll have to pay for the doctor's note obviously but most GPs are happy to write something to help support your claims. Do see what your GP can do to help :smile:

Don't feel guilty at all - you know what you go through and how much you suffer. Depression is just as real as cancer - people need to start learning that! :hugs:
You'll have to pay for the doctor's note obviously but most GPs are happy to write something to help support your claims. Do see what your GP can do to help :smile:

Don't feel guilty at all - you know what you go through and how much you suffer. Depression is just as real as cancer - people need to start learning that! :hugs:

Thank you for your help, I know for my own sake I should try to be more pro-active about it, 'cause I know just trying to push on regardless makes it ten times worse in the end.
Thank you for your help, I know for my own sake I should try to be more pro-active about it, 'cause I know just trying to push on regardless makes it ten times worse in the end.

It's very scary and difficult to be proactive, so don't beat yourself up about it. Just remember that you deserve to be helped, as much as anyone else! :h:
Original post by SciFiRory
ideal? no, but we can definitely make big improvements, I mean the NHS is actually pretty poorly funded compared to health services elsewhere, heck even the US spends more on healthcare as a percentage than we do, and they charge people for it...I don't think it's unrealistic to talk about giving the NHS and other services much better funding and resources to deal with mental health, our understanding of and diagnosis of mental health issues has increased hugely in recent years but the funding it gets has lagged well behind imo, whereas we spend billions on things we don't need at all like trident or cutting taxes for big corporates, I would much rather that money went on helping people who actually need help myself

I'm afraid that whilst the NHS could be improved upon, more spending doesn't necessarily mean better healthcare. The USA is actually quite a good example of this - they spend more per capita than we do, but for all the key physical health performance indicators like life expectancy and infant mortality, they perform worse. I've never seen stats for mental health, though I can't imagine that it's a significantly different story and such figures would be rather more subjective (you're either dead or you're not; mental health is rarely that clear cut)

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is an amazing idea!

Feeling creative? Why not make a postcard to help others?

http://www.postcardsfromtheedges.org.uk/postcard/3502

I was thinking once we have each made them, we could post them in new thread in the Mental Health forum - not only will they be posted on the postcardsfromtheedges website but also accessible to our community.

http://www.postcardsfromtheedges.org.uk/postcardsofhope

"Postcards of Hope is a partnership between United Response and Black Rainbow, a new memoir describing author Rachel Kelly’s depression, and how poetry helped her. Now we want you to share something which has given you hope.
Whether it’s poetry, a work of art, a powerful message or something you’ve created, please share it on a postcard. For ideas or information on Postcards of Hope"
Reply 390

I feel exactly the same, minues the glandular fever bit. I often hate waking up in the morning. Some weeks being here is torturous but not because of the work it's because i've been in the wrong frame of mind and unable to give it my full care and attention. I've no energy whatsoever, i've lost all care for the work I do and i've thought several times of telling my boss. I have no idea what the reason is as it should be a job I love doing but it causes so much anxiety in me i often contemplate taking time off "ill" to recover.

There's certainly an element of "it sounds like an excuse to be lazy" but it's not. Depression and anxiety are real.
Original post by She-Ra
This is an amazing idea!

I was thinking once we have each made them, we could post them in new thread in the Mental Health forum - not only will they be posted on the postcardsfromtheedges website but also accessible to our community.

"Postcards of Hope is a partnership between United Response and Black Rainbow, a new memoir describing author Rachel Kelly’s depression, and how poetry helped her. Now we want you to share something which has given you hope.
Whether it’s poetry, a work of art, a powerful message or something you’ve created, please share it on a postcard. For ideas or information on Postcards of Hope"

Sounds great! Keep prodding me about this, please! :biggrin:
Sounds great! Keep prodding me about this, please! :biggrin:

Sure thing! :biggrin:

I've been chatting to the creator on Twitter today. Once I create my postcard(s) I'll start up a thread in the MH forum and post it.
Original post by She-Ra
Sure thing! :biggrin:

I've been chatting to the creator on Twitter today. Once I create my postcard(s) I'll start up a thread in the MH forum and post it.

Yay :h:
Original post by james1211
I feel exactly the same, minues the glandular fever bit. I often hate waking up in the morning. Some weeks being here is torturous but not because of the work it's because i've been in the wrong frame of mind and unable to give it my full care and attention. I've no energy whatsoever, i've lost all care for the work I do and i've thought several times of telling my boss. I have no idea what the reason is as it should be a job I love doing but it causes so much anxiety in me i often contemplate taking time off "ill" to recover.

There's certainly an element of "it sounds like an excuse to be lazy" but it's not. Depression and anxiety are real.

Hey James, sorry you are going through it too but it's a mean sort of comfort that I'm not alone. Do you think your boss would be receptive to a frank talk about it? You're probably like me and quite reluctant to even start the conversation - do you find it kind of embarrassing or awkward as well?
Reply 395
Hey James, sorry you are going through it too but it's a mean sort of comfort that I'm not alone. Do you think your boss would be receptive to a frank talk about it? You're probably like me and quite reluctant to even start the conversation - do you find it kind of embarrassing or awkward as well?

No I know what you mean there. It's some comfort to know you aren't the only one. As you say it's not an easy thing to bring up and i'm still working out how to tell them or even if i'm going to. I'd find it quite embarassing, i don't like to show my emotions or weaknesses to people.
Original post by She-Ra
This is an amazing idea!

Everytime i upload a picture it put in another picture that isnt even mine :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'm afraid that whilst the NHS could be improved upon, more spending doesn't necessarily mean better healthcare. The USA is actually quite a good example of this - they spend more per capita than we do, but for all the key physical health performance indicators like life expectancy and infant mortality, they perform worse. I've never seen stats for mental health, though I can't imagine that it's a significantly different story and such figures would be rather more subjective (you're either dead or you're not; mental health is rarely that clear cut)

Posted from TSR Mobile

well obviously it has to be invested properly, but it's pretty obvious that resources and staff which are needed aren't going to magic out of thin air, the NHS budget is squeezed enough as it is right now without asking them to cook the books to find the funding needed for those services. part of the reason the USA performs worse is the fact that you have to buy insurance there, here the NHS is free so people know they can access services without having to worry.
Original post by PonchoKid
Everytime i upload a picture it put in another picture that isnt even mine :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Grrrrrr! That's annoying! Have you reported it as a bug? I haven't had time to create mine yet :frown:
Original post by She-Ra
Grrrrrr! That's annoying! Have you reported it as a bug? I haven't had time to create mine yet :frown:

O, i thought it may be because i was on my phone, ill have another try, then report it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest