The Student Room Group

Let's keep talking - Time To Talk Day - let's talk about mental health

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Great idea. Good luck to everyone today! :smile:
Definitely supporting this.

I found one of the hardest things (and still do find one of the hardest things) about suffering with depression is telling people about it, because you don't want to be stigmatised and you don't want people to treat you differently and start tiptoeing around you. Then when job applications etc. ask about it it's always a rock and a hard place...do I say or do I not say? What will their reaction be?
Original post by james1211
I always wonder about this. Why do people get awkward if someone tells you they have a mental health condition? I reckon it's very misunderstood. People don't react in the same way when you tell them you have a physical condition.

I have no idea why they do this, but it was a discussion we had a few months back with one of my support groups. One of the girls said she found it easier to tell her flatmates that she had cerebral palsy, than to tell them she's recovering from an eating disorder. Because they can see the effects of the cerebral palsy, but can't with the ED.

My tutor is horrendously awkward with me re: my anxiety & panic attacks. He every so kindly refers to them as 'episodes' </sarcasm>
Reply 43
Original post by HBPrincess
We'll said :smile:

Do you think some mental health problems are considered by some more embarrassing or more of a taboo than others, if so, why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Having struggled myself with OCD, I found it very embarrassing talking about it to people. OCD is portrayed as a 'quirk' to many people, apparently we just love to clean and organise things. I think many people don't understand how much OCD actually impacts your life and how much more to it there is than just having an obsession with cleaning your house. I struggled with a type of OCD called 'pure-o' and it was hell for me personally.

It was very hard and embarrassing to explain to people that I have all these terrible thoughts that I don't actually want. Like Mum I can't stop thinking about stabbing you or punching you in the face BUT I don't want too, the thoughts would make me panic and cry and people tend to think you're some sort of psycho.

I just wish people were educated more on mental illness, maybe if I had been I wouldn't have spent such a long time thinking I'm such a terrible person.

And really come to think of it we all have intrusive thoughts in some shape or form. There's no such thing as 'normal' it's just people are scared of being judged, so things such as this never get spoken about.

I'm sure all mental health issues have their embarrassing sides, but from my experience above is what I found extremely embarrassing.

Thank fully now I am living a normal OCD free life :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by .snowflake.
I have no idea why they do this, but it was a discussion we had a few months back with one of my support groups. One of the girls said she found it easier to tell her flatmates that she had cerebral palsy, than to tell them she's recovering from an eating disorder. Because they can see the effects of the cerebral palsy, but can't with the ED.

My tutor is horrendously awkward with me re: my anxiety & panic attacks. He every so kindly refers to them as 'episodes' </sarcasm>

I think most people just don't know how to react or think they'll say something inappropriate by mistake so end up not saying anything.
Reply 45
Original post by superwolf
Oh for a neg button... :rolleyes:

This thread is for discussing mental health issues, which can be serious and life-destroying. The same really seriously cannot be said about unjust warning points.

Original post by She-RaBrighton
This thread has been created by a community member to start conversations about mental health, to raise awareness and stamp out stigma. Let's show some respect and do just that. If you want to talk to me or another member about the warning system, then let's catch up via the Community Feedback threads :smile:

Trying to diminish my argument only further proves my point.

Posting firstly how we should be open and talk about what we feel is one thing but to then turn round in the next sentence and say that shouldn't be applied across the board is a complete U-turn. Why did you post a picture which encouraged open speech when you don't want to discuss things in the open?

And it applies to all sorts of things. If people should be encouraged to talk about how they really feel then their speech shouldn't be silenced because of the opinions they hold.

If you're saying that we should be able to openly say anything we want then why make the a different argument saying we shouldn't be able to talk about certain things? And if someone feels marginalised by what they can't say then doesn't that conflict with your argument?
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Yeah I don't get that either. People tend to associate it with violence which is a massive myth. It shouln't be any different to saying I'm diabetic or something

I've found this too. I was once told I should be locked up for other peoples safety.:mad: I have never harmed anyone.
Reply 47
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Normal people.

I have MH problems myself, as do lots of my friends, so I just think of mental health the same way someone thinks of a physical illness. Wish other people did

So if it affects 'normal people', who are the 'abnormal people'?
Reply 48
Original post by Kiss

Posting firstly how we should be open and talk about what we feel is one thing but to then turn round in the next sentence and say that shouldn't be applied across the board is a complete U-turn. Why did you post a picture which encouraged open speech when you don't want to discuss things in the open?

And it applies to all sorts of things. If people should be encouraged to talk about how they really feel then their speech shouldn't be silenced because of the opinions they hold.

If you're saying that we should be able to openly say anything we want then why make the a different argument saying we shouldn't be able to talk about certain things? And if someone feels marginalised by what they can't say then doesn't that conflict with your argument?

Kiss,

I can't tell whether you're being disingenuous or whether you really don't see the distinction here.

People need to be encouraged to talk about mental health issues to remove the stigma surrounding them, and to raise awareness of the sources of support for those who are in difficulty. Warnings can always be contested in AAM, but it is inappropriate to discuss them publicly because there cannot be an objective assessment of their fairness.

In any event, as She-Ra has politely pointed out, this is not the thread to talk about allegedly unfair TSR rules. I'd therefore respectfully ask that you move this discussion elsewhere.
Original post by greeneyedgirl

I found one of the hardest things (and still do find one of the hardest things) about suffering with depression is telling people about it, because you don't want to be stigmatised and you don't want people to treat you differently and start tiptoeing around you. Then when job applications etc. ask about it it's always a rock and a hard place...do I say or do I not say? What will their reaction be?

I tend to go for the 'tell just about anyone and everyone' approach. Once I was at this dinner thing for my uni's Russian society and we each had to write down something embarrassing to be read out and people would guess who it was... I couldn't think of anything light-hearted, so I put that I'd been in mental hospital. At first people assumed it was a joke, but when they realised it wasn't there was a very awkward silence... except that later on one girl came up to me and was really nice about it - she's the only one out of all those people I've stayed in touch with. :smile:

Original post by Kiss

:blah: Not relevant to the current discussion. Please stop belittling mental illness by suggesting that a frankly trivial internet feud is somehow of equal importance. If you don't start posting anything relevant, then I will start reporting you for spamming and shall be very much amused if you subsequently get carded. :h:
Original post by Kiss
So if we're encouraged to talk about anything then why won't you let us discuss unjust warning points on TSR?

Original post by Kiss

Come on, what's really up? This is just a thread to post about discussing MH issues, and it's just outright insensitive to be posting stuff relating to discussing TSR mechanics when people are posting here about very serious mental health problems.

This sort of thing is being discussed because there needs to be raised awareness for it, as I said in my original post, because it's being trivialised in mainstream media and has serious sociological implications.

I tell you what, if South Park make a satirical episode about TSR warnings, I'll hold my hands up and say that it was worth derailing a thread about such a serious issue over. Deal? :redface:
Original post by superwolf
Good point. :yep: Although antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds can work wonders, especially in more severe cases, they're all-too-often prescribed even when they're not particularly suitable, because it's cheaper than arranging therapy. In an ideal world patients would be offered a range of treatments, and be guided to make an informed choice for themselves about treatment. :smile:

In the UK there are some charities which offer talking treatments, and you can often get to see a counsellor through uni if you're a student - might be something worth looking into in your country too?

This unfortunately - a month of anti-depressants can cost as little as £3-£4, just an hour of therapy is going to be considerably more.

Original post by greeneyedgirl

I have no choice but to talk about my issues at interview, as I took a year out of uni due to MH problems. Despite employers not being meant to ask until they give a job offer, they always ask what health problems meant I suspended my course.
Reply 52
Original post by Tortious
Kiss,

I can't tell whether you're being disingenuous or whether you really don't see the distinction here.

People need to be encouraged to talk about mental health issues to remove the stigma surrounding them, and to raise awareness of the sources of support for those who are in difficulty. Warnings can always be contested in AAM, but it is inappropriate to discuss them publicly because there cannot be an objective assessment of their fairness.

In any event, as She-Ra has politely pointed out, this is not the thread to talk about allegedly unfair TSR rules. I'd therefore respectfully ask that you move this discussion elsewhere.

It wasn't even about warning points in the first place. It's the logical fallacy of saying one thing in one context and not applying it consistently.

If we should be encouraged to be open about things such as mental health then surely we should be encouraged to speak our minds, even if that conflicts with 'hate speech' laws. And then it creates a problem: if we're encouraged to be completely open about what we think then this will obviously cause some people offense.

So how do you resolve the issue of being open and honest with not causing people upset?

That was the point I was making. The picture and argument She-RaBrighton posted conflicts with the reprehensible nature of TSR's policies of not offending others which mirrors basic UK policies. Being completely open about mental health is impossible unless you're prepared to accept that some other people will be hurt along the way.
Reply 53
Original post by Kiss
It wasn't even about warning points in the first place. It's the logical fallacy of saying one thing in one context and not applying it consistently.

If we should be encouraged to be open about things such as mental health then surely we should be encouraged to speak our minds, even if that conflicts with 'hate speech' laws. And then it creates a problem: if we're encouraged to be completely open about what we think then this will obviously cause some people offense.

So how do you resolve the issue of being open and honest with not causing people upset?

That was the point I was making. The picture and argument She-RaBrighton posted conflicts with the reprehensible nature of TSR's policies of not offending others which mirrors basic UK policies. Being completely open about mental health is impossible unless you're prepared to accept that some other people will be hurt along the way.

Can you put this in AAM please, you're completely derailing the thread.
Reply 54
Original post by rmhumphries
This unfortunately - a month of anti-depressants can cost as little as £3-£4, just an hour of therapy is going to be considerably more.

I have no choice but to talk about my issues at interview, as I took a year out of uni due to MH problems. Despite employers not being meant to ask until they give a job offer, they always ask what health problems meant I suspended my course.

That must be really frustrating. Could you say "health reasons" instead of being too specific? Although that kind of goes against what this thread is trying to escape from.
Original post by PandaPangaea
one thing that I would like it to add is over prescribed medication for mental health disorders, I really wish doctors would stop giving out pills to patients with anxiety or mild depression who don't really need it. And instead they come out with therapy sessions with psychologists. However, I am not sure how it works in UK but here in Canada, if you go to your GP and tell them you are suffering from anxiety, you get prescribed with xanax and thats the end of it. Well this is based on my personal experience. I was against taking xanax as I really don't like to take medications so I asked if they could refer me to a psychologist but my request was declined as "i wasn't in a critical condition".

Also,
most psychologist are very expensive if you go to them privately. If there were any places that offered talk sessions or anything along that lines for people who are suffering from anxiety and depression, I think that be a major help to the people like me who don't want to take any medications.

Here in the UK the prescription of meds is usually the standard - particularly because it's the cheapest and easiest to administer. With regards to access to therapy, there are horrendous waiting lists if you're looking to get it on the NHS. I suppose with this is in mind doctors avoid giving out scarce resources, such as therapy, to people they deem 'not critical enough' - there hands are really tied with such limited funding to mental health services. But still, I think people should be able to receive psychology therapy before they get worse...rather than leaving it until they are in crisis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kiss

Dude, go make a thread about it if it bothers you that much and stop derailing this one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please keep this thread on topic, and by that I mean discussing mental health, the stigmas around it, how to be open about it etc. This is not about openness in general and definitely not about warning points. Any further discussion in that vein will be binned and warned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reeeeyah
Having struggled myself with OCD, I found it very embarrassing talking about it to people. OCD is portrayed as a 'quirk' to many people, apparently we just love to clean and organise things. I think many people don't understand how much OCD actually impacts your life and how much more to it there is than just having an obsession with cleaning your house. I struggled with a type of OCD called 'pure-o' and it was hell for me personally.

It was very hard and embarrassing to explain to people that I have all these terrible thoughts that I don't actually want. Like Mum I can't stop thinking about stabbing you or punching you in the face BUT I don't want too, the thoughts would make me panic and cry and people think you're some sort of psycho.

I just wish people were educated more on mental illness, maybe if I had been I wouldn't have spent such a long time thinking I'm such a terrible person.

And really come to think of it we all have intrusive thoughts in some shape or form. There's no such thing as 'normal' it's just people are scared of being judged, so things such as this never get spoken about.

I'm sure all mental health issues have their embarrassing sides, but from my experience above is what I found extremely embarrassing.

Thank fully now I am living a normal OCD free life :smile:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I was really touched by your honest account. Absolutely fantastic news that you're now living an OCD free life :smile:

Everyone's journey is very different but would you mind sharing how you got to the point of no longer having OCD?

I suffered from what I thought to be at the time Generalized Anxiety Disorder and was in a pretty dark place. It was exhausting and lonely, I was constantly stuck in a cycle of negative thoughts - they would just rise up from nowhere, I felt like I'd somehow lost "me". At times I felt like I had no resilience, I would just find a cupboard and cry.

It got to the point where I had to make a lot of changes in my life to come through the other side. I had 6 months of solution focused therapy which helped me and gave me the drive and energy I needed to do things like no longer investing in friendships that were no good for me, quitting the job I was doing, cutting down the hours I was working and finding and exploring my passions - helping myself to remember what lifted my heart, what got me excited about life and come face to face with my fears and talk about them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Great thread for a great cause!

As a society we need to be more open about mental health - that people really have these issues and that it's OK if they do. Hopefully something coming out of days (and threads) like this is that more people realise that, so those with mental illness don't feel excluded by society and those who have yet to seek help feel encouraged to do so.

But even as I've written this, I've been hesitant about mentioning my own mental health issues. I'm not sure why, but it can be extremely difficult to talk about. But talking to does help. Having the support of some friends and family can be a big help for you learning to cope or get through whatever is affecting you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest