The Student Room Group

Let's keep talking - Time To Talk Day - let's talk about mental health

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by james1211
I think one difficulty i see quite often is that people assume you're using your mental health conditions as an excuse to be lazy or not do certain things, which is completely untrue, it's something that seriously affects your concentration span, motivation and energy.

This is very true indeed.
Reply 81
I don't feel like many people who don't suffer from mental health problems care. They say you can talk to them at any time but the reality is they have their own lives to lead and don't understand you don't want to be a burden on them, or them on your case.

It's a nice idea for prevention though.
I never used to talk about anxiety because I was too embarrased, but once you make family and friends aware they get used to it pretty quickly.
I was diagnosed with ME/CFS which is a physical chronic illness so I saw no problem discussing it with family and friends. Whilst I tell people about it I always nod in that I get anxiety as a bi-product of the illness and go on to talk about that as well. Nowadays, if I get a bit panicky when I'm out, I'll pop a beta blocker there and then :lol: People ask me what they're for and when I tell them it's for anxiety they look at you as if to say "Oh, mental health medication, he must be a nutter" but when I tell them that beta blockers are basically heart/blood pressure tablets that act like adrenaline blockers, their body language changes instantly.
Original post by Reeeeyah
Hi,

Yes I don't mind sharing :smile: this might turn into a bit of a life story, so I apologise.

From a young age I can remember having an obsessive thinking pattern. This didn't particularly bother me as it never caused long lasting anxiety. But when I got into my mid-teens I started getting horrible obsessive thoughts. I would say for about a year and a half I struggled everyday with them and I never told anyone as I thought they'd think I was a horrible person. I wouldn't even Google it because I was so worried about what my search would reveal, so I just tried desperately to push it away but of course with obsessive thoughts the more you try to push them away the worse they become.

When I was about 15 they got really bad and the anxiety was extreme. The depression then kicked in and I honestly believed I was a dreadful person. I was put in a unit (don't want to say which one) for being a danger to myself, I was given anti-depressants and daily therapy. This did help me for a while but slowly it started coming back.

Then I met my old therapist and she completely changed my life. We did Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and also Exposure and response prevention (ERP), these two are all about acceptance, changing your way of thinking and facing your fears. These two forms of therapy were invaluable to me.

3 years on I'm fine, no medication, no therapy and I'm no longer obsessive, I don't think I've ever been happier. It's hard to explain but I can't really connect to it or feel sad about it as that person doesn't feel like it was me.

I'm sorry you've also struggled with MH.

Never apologise, I'm sure this will be very helpful for others to read through :smile: You've achieved so much in three years, it's amazing.

Thank you - I am actually very grateful and thank my body and mind daily now although it was horrendous at the time. But I know myself so much better now and it gave me the opportunity to make some really positive changes in my life. I'm now training in a holistic therapy in my spare time so I can support others and I :heart: it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by Jalal Uddin
Support.

But. I mean. Like.
It. Just.
You're not Pureblood!

Filth! Ugh!

Haha kidding =P

Sounds interesting.
Yes this is the right place to express how mentally incapacitated you are. Well done for opening up.
Original post by Ripper-Roo
I don't feel like many people who don't suffer from mental health problems care. They say you can talk to them at any time but the reality is they have their own lives to lead and don't understand you don't want to be a burden on them, or them on your case.

It's a nice idea for prevention though.

Sometimes fine this, too :s-smilie: Sometimes it's just nice to be asked how you are, especially when I'm up to answering honestly/to that person.
Reply 86
Original post by purple-duck
Sometimes fine this, too :s-smilie: Sometimes it's just nice to be asked how you are, especially when I'm up to answering honestly/to that person.

Yeah this, and sometimes when I'm having a bad day the last thing I want to be told is to calm down.
Reply 87
I'm really premenstrual today :biggrin:

yeyyy...:rolleyes:
Original post by OU Student

When I moved to uni, I experienced really bad depression, which my hallmates found out about. Their responses were really unhelpful - they constantly told me how easy it is to get help. If it was that easy to admit I was ill, I would have done it when I first told to before it got to the stage it did. Unfortunately for me, it was all they talked to me. Is it really unreasonable to want to discuss other things?:frown:

:hugs:
This, exactly.

This is why I've never really seriously sat down with anyone and talked about how I'm feeling. I went through a traumatic event recently, and people sympathised for a while, and still do now when I get upset about that. I thought it would be the perfect time (months after the event) to have a real chat with my mum.

I talked about how agitated and anxious I get around certain social situations, how I'm constantly paranoid that people are talking about me/ think I'm a freak, how I am passive to the point of ridiculousness because I am extremely scared about what people may think of me. etc, etc.

She sort of got it, but her only advice was 'just stop worrying about what people think'. So, point missed I think.

I'm not saying I've actually got anything, but these things really do affect my life and I hate that people don't seem to notice/care. But then, I'm good at covering up and tend to just make a small group of friends, and I'm quite confident around small groups of people that I know. put in a large crowd and I'm petrified.

Oooh, that felt good to get out :biggrin:
Reply 89
Original post by buchanan700
:hugs:
This, exactly.

This is why I've never really seriously sat down with anyone and talked about how I'm feeling. I went through a traumatic event recently, and people sympathised for a while, and still do now when I get upset about that. I thought it would be the perfect time (months after the event) to have a real chat with my mum.

I talked about how agitated and anxious I get around certain social situations, how I'm constantly paranoid that people are talking about me/ think I'm a freak, how I am passive to the point of ridiculousness because I am extremely scared about what people may think of me. etc, etc.

She sort of got it, but her only advice was 'just stop worrying about what people think'. So, point missed I think.

I'm not saying I've actually got anything, but these things really do affect my life and I hate that people don't seem to notice/care. But then, I'm good at covering up and tend to just make a small group of friends, and I'm quite confident around small groups of people that I know. put in a large crowd and I'm petrified.

Oooh, that felt good to get out :biggrin:

I can empathise with a lot of these points. Bullying when i was a lot younger mean when i'm around large groups of people, that i both do and don't know, i get paranoid that they're talking about me or laughing at me.
I can empathise with a lot of these points. Bullying when i was a lot younger mean when i'm around large groups of people, that i both do and don't know, i get paranoid that they're talking about me or laughing at me.

I get exactly the same way. I think people don't realise how lasting the effects of bullying can be. I'm a grown woman yet I feel like a child when I'm in large groups of people :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Odd socks
I get exactly the same way. I think people don't realise how lasting the effects of bullying can be. I'm a grown woman yet I feel like a child when I'm in large groups of people :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know the feeling. Even now I'm married and should be "all grown up", I will cross the road to avoid groups of youths. It's awful when I get the bus around class ending/beginning time and it's full of teenagers, I sit there terrified about what they might do to me. I also have rock bottom self-esteem.

Thanks bullies. :rolleyes:
Reply 92
Original post by Odd socks

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's been more than 5 years since i was bullied but it affects me daily. I really don't think enough is done in schools, the way i was treated would be dealt much more severely if it happened outside school as it was basically assault, verbal harrassment, threatening to murder and it's lasted well into now when i should be a fully mentally developed adult. Ah well, it's clearly punishment for a past life or something.
Original post by Ebony19
Yes this is the right place to express how mentally incapacitated you are. Well done for opening up.

Err yeah. Apologies if I offended anyone.

I realise now what I was saying wasn't on :frown:
Some great posts on this thread - keep up the good work peeps :biggrin:

Btw, I am willing to answer any sensible questions on schizoaffective disorder or hearing voices that curious people may have :yep:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Btw, I am willing to answer any sensible questions on schizoaffective disorder or hearing voices that curious people may have :yep:

I have a question for you!

Why are you so super awesome? :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! And do you get when people assume because you're quiet, you want to be excluded from everything/ you're just trying to be rude/ignorant?
Story of my life :/

Do the voices ever tell you do stuff, and you feel compelled to do them? Or is it just nasty stuff?

Not trying to sound like a dick! Just really curious as to what they're actually saying... :smile:
Original post by PonchoKid
I have a question for you!

Why are you so super awesome? :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Coz I have awesome people like you propping me up :tongue: :yep: :love:

Original post by buchanan700
Do the voices ever tell you do stuff, and you feel compelled to do them? Or is it just nasty stuff?

Not trying to sound like a dick! Just really curious as to what they're actually saying...

I hear lots of different voices and the different voices say different things. Some are very critical about me and tell me horrible stuff about myself. They are voices that are most likely my thoughts that have severely dissociated from myself, for whatever reason.

I do hear voices that give commands and whilst I do feel compelled to do them, I rarely act on them.

I also hear some positive voices too but they are much rarer :yes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Coz I have awesome people like you propping me up :tongue: :yep: :love:

:nah:

Though after my anxiety ridden day i finally have good news for my mental health! Meeting my potential counsellor next week to do the consultation but its in person :afraid:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest