The Student Room Group

Uni Help Appreciated! :)

Hi People!
I've applied for the following courses and was hoping to get opinions on which is best to pursue!

BSc(Econ) Financial Economics - Birkbeck, University of London - ABB-AAB
BSc Finance and Economics - Lancaster - AAA
BSc Finance - Durham AAB

I know about Birkbeck's evening timetable and that's not a problem for me! Lancaster seems to be in the Top 10/11 consistently, and Durham always highly ranked. Only downside is Durham's course is on the campus outside of the city, which people seem to look down upon!

All opinions and replies appreciated :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by RudeyCanudey
Hi People!
I've applied for the following courses and was hoping to get opinions on which is best to pursue!

BSc Finance - Durham AAB

I know about Birkbeck's evening timetable and that's not a problem for me! Lancaster seems to be in the Top 10/11 consistently, and Durham always highly ranked. Only downside is Durham's course is on the campus outside of the city, which people seem to look down upon!

Lancaster is the best university for subjects such as economics/business/finance. Durham is a prestigeous uni, however, it's not one of the very best for these courses above. Forget Birkbeck, it's not bad but not a 'wow' either..
Most of Birkbeck's students are mature students, and the extra-curricular/social life is obviously going to be different from that of a typical university due to the timings and student body. Durham is more "prestigious" than Lancaster, although L may be better for your specific subject. Think about what your career aspirations are, and whether an industry-respected course or a more generally respected university is more important to you.
Reply 3
Thank you for your advice! I've noticed that of Birkbeck but the atmosphere is more driven which is a plus! I'm leaning more towards Lancaster, Thank you Hanover! If anyone else wants to 'vote', I'd appreciate it ! :smile:
Original post by RudeyCanudey
Hi People!

BSc Finance - Durham AAB

Durham's 'Queen's Campus' is in Stockton, 25 miles away. And while Durham is a beautiful cathedral city, Stockton is (relatively speaking) horrible.
I'd be seriously wary of Birkbeck unless you're a mature student with pre-existing family / work commitments. It's geared entirely towards mature students and it doesn't even have any halls of its own (though you can live in UoL intercollegiate halls) so you're not going to get the student life that you would get elsewhere, and you will have relatively little in common with people on your course.

The other campus of Durham that you mention is Queen's Campus in Stockton, which is by all accounts, grim. It certainly wouldn't be my first choice of places to live. Do make sure that you visit the Stockton campus before you do actually decide to live there for three years.

So, based purely on student life things, I'd go for Lancaster.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending