The Student Room Group

Can I gift my lecturer at the end of the year?

For context I'm graduating a 4-year course after 5 years (after taking a year out for medical reasons) and at my uni we have 'Personal Academic Tutors' which is sort of a form tutor you're given who takes 4/5 students in the year under their wing to help in any and all aspects of university life. My PAT has been amazing and helped in sorts of situations that no one else would and honestly, I would have been a complete and utter mess without her. I also know from talking with my mates on the course that theirs were all rubbish in comparison. She does not have any influence on my grades and is not one of my lecturers.

Is it normal to gift her something to show my appreciation? I'm wary of anything food/drink related because I have no idea what her preferences are
Reply 1
My students do this fairly often throughout the year,and indeed at the end of course programmes. It's a lovely gesture and will be very much appreciated (though not at alle xpected).
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
My students do this fairly often throughout the year,and indeed at the end of course programmes. It's a lovely gesture and will be very much appreciated (though not at alle xpected).

thanks for the answer, do you have any recommendations for gifts you've really liked? or any your colleagues have? I'd rather get her something I know she'd enjoy rather than any old tat :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by gjd800

thanks for the answer, do you have any recommendations for gifts you've really liked? or any your colleagues have? I'd rather get her something I know she'd enjoy :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by commonclaims
thanks for the answer, do you have any recommendations for gifts you've really liked? or any your colleagues have? I'd rather get her something I know she'd enjoy rather than any old tat :smile:

Honestly, it's usually consumables! The Chinese students often bring in various teas and pastries, mooncakes. Others bring in cakes a lot - nothing expensive or overbearing, but nice gestures nevertheless.
For context I'm graduating a 4-year course after 5 years (after taking a year out for medical reasons) and at my uni we have 'Personal Academic Tutors' which is sort of a form tutor you're given who takes 4/5 students in the year under their wing to help in any and all aspects of university life. My PAT has been amazing and helped in sorts of situations that no one else would and honestly, I would have been a complete and utter mess without her. I also know from talking with my mates on the course that theirs were all rubbish in comparison. She does not have any influence on my grades and is not one of my lecturers.

Is it normal to gift her something to show my appreciation? I'm wary of anything food/drink related because I have no idea what her preferences are

Hi @commonclaims !

What a lovely idea. I also have a great Personal Academic Coach at my uni and I definitely see why you would think to gift someone who works so closely with you something amazing.
I think just make it a simple gesture, if you don't want to bring them food/drink, how about something handmade? Or a nice piece of stationery that can can sit on her desk and be a reminder of you? It will be both useful and lasting memory.

Milena 🙂
MA Creative and Critical Writing at Uni of Suffolk

Hiya!

Aww that’s a really lovely gesture and it will be something your personal tutor will not expect but would greatly appreciate. My personal tutor has also been amazing, and every time I see her on campus, we always have a chat so I totally understand why you would want to get them a little something as a thanks especially if they have gone above and beyond to help.

As already suggested some sort of food maybe like a cake, or a celebration box; perhaps something personalised like a tote bag or a coffee cup and as said maybe something for their desk at their office. Even a handwritten card of thanks, can go a long way as who wouldn’t like to receive a card.

Hope this helps, and congratulations for graduating
-Maddie, second year Health and well-being in society student at De Montfort University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending