The Student Room Group

Volunteering rather than work experience?

Schools always seem to want you to do work experience, but for most jobs this seems pointless, as it's like working in a school. Would volunteering be an acceptable alternative? And look as good on a CV or Personal Statement? Thanks.
Hi,

Yes volunteering is a good option if you are struggling to find work in your chosen area, as it will still give you experience, which is what most places are looking for. This shows you are dedicated, hardworking and passionate. Volunteering one day here and there, probably wont be enough to be considered for a job though. So if you can, try to find somewhere you can volunteer consistently until you find the job you are looking for. If you are looking to volunteer for experience for a uni application, it will also be really useful and a great thing to do to help with your application.

I hope this helps!

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep
Original post by WrexhamUniReps
Hi,

Yes volunteering is a good option if you are struggling to find work in your chosen area, as it will still give you experience, which is what most places are looking for. This shows you are dedicated, hardworking and passionate. Volunteering one day here and there, probably wont be enough to be considered for a job though. So if you can, try to find somewhere you can volunteer consistently until you find the job you are looking for. If you are looking to volunteer for experience for a uni application, it will also be really useful and a great thing to do to help with your application.

I hope this helps!

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep

Thank you very much, that's really helpful :smile:. Yep, I am actually at the moment volunteering every weekend, so hopefully that will be of assistance to an application. Thanks again! Appreciate it.
Original post by mossyrevelations
Thank you very much, that's really helpful :smile:. Yep, I am actually at the moment volunteering every weekend, so hopefully that will be of assistance to an application. Thanks again! Appreciate it.

Glad I could help! Good luck with everything.

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending