The Student Room Group

S1 box plots

Airlines record the delays in flight arrival times into an airport. In one week, for one airline into one airport, 32% of all flights had no delay, the longest delay was 50 minutes and half of all flights had delays of no more than 7 minutes.
A quarter of all delays were at least 22 minutes, but only one was more than half an hour.

An outlier is an observation that falls either 1.5 x IQR above the upper quartile or 1.5 x IQR below the lower quartile.

a) On graph paper, draw a box plot to represent these data.
b) Comment on the distribution of delays. Justify your answer.

Alright so, I just don't understand how to interpret those figures into the box plot. I just need help in getting figures like the upper quartile, lower quartile etc. because all those figures in the question are just confusing me right now, so any aid in this would greatly be appreciated.
Reply 1
Anyone?? :L
Reply 2
Original post by Kaskal
Airlines record the delays in flight arrival times into an airport. In one week, for one airline into one airport, 32% of all flights had no delay, the longest delay was 50 minutes and half of all flights had delays of no more than 7 minutes.
A quarter of all delays were at least 22 minutes, but only one was more than half an hour.

An outlier is an observation that falls either 1.5 x IQR above the upper quartile or 1.5 x IQR below the lower quartile.

a) On graph paper, draw a box plot to represent these data.
b) Comment on the distribution of delays. Justify your answer.

Alright so, I just don't understand how to interpret those figures into the box plot. I just need help in getting figures like the upper quartile, lower quartile etc. because all those figures in the question are just confusing me right now, so any aid in this would greatly be appreciated.

Since the best 32% have no delay, the best 25% must have no delay

The median, upper quartile, lowest and highest are given directly in the question
Reply 3
Evidently I have forgotten how to read a question, thanks a lot!
Bump. I came across this question and dont understand the question??
Airlines record the delays in flight arrival times into an airport. In one week, for one airline into one airport, 32% of all flights` had no delay, the longest delay was 50 minutes and half of all flights* had delays of no more than 7 minutes.
A quarter of all delays^ were at least 22 minutes, but only one was more than half an hour.

*median is 7
^upper quartile is 22
`what does that tell you about the lower quartile?
it is rather confusing... the data sometimes refers to flights and sometimes to delays

:hmmmm2:
Original post by shawn_o1
*median is 7
^upper quartile is 22
`what does that tell you about the lower quartile?

but surely a quarter of delays means (25/68)*100% of flights

Quick Reply

Latest