The Student Room Group

Is it always true that 'NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS"?

Hi all,

I applied around the 12th January. I only applied to 1 place (not that this makes much difference)

What are people's experiences with waiting times?? I've read that some on this forum do say that rejections will come through pretty quickly?? Is this quite true?

I know that i've barely been waiting a month, and there are many on here that are still waiting from October.
Reply 1
Every institute will be different. If you're really worried, just contact them, see where the process is. They won't be annoyed and may give you some peace of mind. They may even be impressed by your initiative to catch up the thread, although a month is a little too soon maybe. Remember that's just twenty days, and they will surely have hundreds of applications to sort through.
Alternatively just hunt down someone on the same application route, if they're still waiting too then there's nothing really to worry about.
I don't necessarily think rejections always come early, though. It simply is different with every place; they will all have their own way of doing things. I'd say you just need to step away from it all and busy yourself with other things for now. P:
Good luck, though.
Rejections don't always come through quickly, but if you are a complete nohoper, then it is likely you will get a rejection pretty qucikly.

A month is not really a long wait, especially at this time of year when admissions departments are likely to be very busy. It is possible that your application has not been looked at yet, or that they want to look at all the applications they now have before giving out decisions.

Some universities take a lot longer than others to make decisions anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by jenbee
Hi all,

I applied around the 12th January. I only applied to 1 place (not that this makes much difference)

What are people's experiences with waiting times?? I've read that some on this forum do say that rejections will come through pretty quickly?? Is this quite true?

I know that i've barely been waiting a month, and there are many on here that are still waiting from October.

Hi there
I am in a similar position to you. I only applied to one uni and I'm still waiting. I applied back in November!
I would really love to contact the uni but I just have no idea what to say as I'm worried it may affect my application. I'm beginning to think it's not meant to be for me :-(
Reply 4
I am a very impatient person i guess! lol

I know that a month is a very short space of time. I applied through ucas about 3 years ago, to more than 1 uni....and i swear i heard back quicker then (probably because psychologically I knew I had no intention on going at that time!!)

It is an awful waiting game I guess.
I shan't chase up the uni, don't want to appear annoying. I've applied for a foundation year too, I never know whether that has affected it or not!
I think its also because I have a lot of decisions to make, but can't really make them until this uni have responded.....yes I know everyone is in the same boat :smile:
Original post by jenbee
I am a very impatient person i guess! lol

I know that a month is a very short space of time. I applied through ucas about 3 years ago, to more than 1 uni....and i swear i heard back quicker then (probably because psychologically I knew I had no intention on going at that time!!)

It is an awful waiting game I guess.
I shan't chase up the uni, don't want to appear annoying. I've applied for a foundation year too, I never know whether that has affected it or not!
I think its also because I have a lot of decisions to make, but can't really make them until this uni have responded.....yes I know everyone is in the same boat :smile:

Foundation year applicants probably take longer to assess because, almost by definition, they do not have standard GCSEs, AS grades, A2 predictions etc.
No news is just that - no news. It's not a good thing or a bad thing, just a thing. There are so many variables that nobody not directly involved can say what the situation is. Don't give up until you are told you've been rejected. My son got his first choice offer on May 8th.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending