The Student Room Group

Headstart EDT Courses 2014 Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarcasmrules
Added you guys :biggrin: by the way, what's York like as a city? :biggrin: and by the way, while in Cambridge make sure you all visit the Fudge Kitchen as they do free samples :drool:

York Uni is about a 20 minute bus ride from the centre of York itself so you won't be right in the middle of the city, but it is a really nice place and is by far one of the prettiest cities in the UK :tongue: It feels like you're in loads of different eras at once as there's the medieval city walls which are quite hard to miss, the 18th century cobbled streets (complete with the black and white wooden-fronted houses) and all of gothic churches :colondollar:
Original post by sarcastic-sal
York Uni is about a 20 minute bus ride from the centre of York itself so you won't be right in the middle of the city, but it is a really nice place and is by far one of the prettiest cities in the UK :tongue: It feels like you're in loads of different eras at once as there's the medieval city walls which are quite hard to miss, the 18th century cobbled streets (complete with the black and white wooden-fronted houses) and all of gothic churches :colondollar:

Nice! I like characterful cities, like Winchester (where I go to college :tongue:)
Nice! I like characterful cities, like Winchester (where I go to college :tongue:)

You'll definitely like York then :tongue: Although if you're from down south you might find the accent quite strong (but compared to the Dales, York's accent is nothing!).

If you have time before/after the course I'd recommend just wandering around for a bit to soak up the atmosphere. That said, even if you don't have chance to the bus ride from the train station to the uni is quite picturesque, even crossing the Ouse a couple of times and even the train station has nice architecture. ('Come to York for the architecture' should be on the front of the tourist guides imo :colondollar:)
You'll definitely like York then :tongue: Although if you're from down south you might find the accent quite strong (but compared to the Dales, York's accent is nothing!).

If you have time before/after the course I'd recommend just wandering around for a bit to soak up the atmosphere. That said, even if you don't have chance to the bus ride from the train station to the uni is quite picturesque, even crossing the Ouse a couple of times and even the train station has nice architecture. ('Come to York for the architecture' should be on the front of the tourist guides imo :colondollar:)

I think I'll be fine with the Yorkshire people, but will it be weird with my accent if I say 'cheers drive' when getting off of the bus? :biggrin:
I think I'll be fine with the Yorkshire people, but will it be weird with my accent if I say 'cheers drive' when getting off of the bus? :biggrin:

Nah, in fact it would probably be more frowned upon to not thank the bus driver when you got off, regardless of your accent! :tongue:
Also, if you're on a quite busy bus and a stranger sits next to you, don't be surprised if they strike up a conversation (especially if they're old) :biggrin:
Nah, in fact it would probably be more frowned upon to not thank the bus driver when you got off, regardless of your accent! :tongue:
Also, if you're on a quite busy bus and a stranger sits next to you, don't be surprised if they strike up a conversation (especially if they're old) :biggrin:

It's always polite to thank the driver :tongue: And I'm used to that kind of thing, on the train there's always people who start talking to me...
I got into the Broad Based Engineering course at Cambridge! :biggrin:
Original post by CloudsAndRibbons
I got into the Broad Based Engineering course at Cambridge! :biggrin:

Added you to the list! As well as you, may_mccool is on the Broad Based Engineering course. Feel free to say hi! :tongue:
I've put you onto the list. There's loads of people doing materials science on here! :tongue:

The course of champions clearly!
Reply 29
I'm doing the Materials course at Oxford! Very happy to have got a place :smile:
Original post by CakeFrog
I'm doing the Materials course at Oxford! Very happy to have got a place :smile:

Congrats! I added you to the list. You're the first person on here to be going to Oxford (at least, the people who've found the thread :tongue:)
Reply 31
Congrats! I added you to the list. You're the first person on here to be going to Oxford (at least, the people who've found the thread :tongue:)

To be honest, I was so surprised to see I had got a place. It was actually my second choice, first had been Chemical Engineering at Bath, although I'm hardly disappointed with Oxford!
Original post by CakeFrog
To be honest, I was so surprised to see I had got a place. It was actually my second choice, first had been Chemical Engineering at Bath, although I'm hardly disappointed with Oxford!

There were two people for every place I believe :redface: I was quite lucky as York was my first choice :tongue: never been before!
Reply 33
I got a place on the Broad Based Engineering course at Oxford, can't wait! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi :smile: I got into the broad based engineering course in Cambridge :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rubygk
I got a place on the Broad Based Engineering course at Oxford, can't wait! :biggrin:

Original post by Alotofsushi
Hi :smile: I got into the broad based engineering course in Cambridge :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Added you both to the lists :smile:
Reply 36
I got a place on the Cambridge Broad Based Engineering (:
Original post by LJflowrie
I got a place on the Cambridge Broad Based Engineering (:

You're on the list :smile:
Just received my timetable and forms in the post this morning! So excited :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Broad Based for Manchester :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest