The Student Room Group

Student finance help??

Hi

I am considering dropping out of uni and I'm half way through the second year of a 3 year degree and really not enjoying it although I am doing well.
I was wondering if anyone could give me advise on what happens in regards to student finance and how this would affect another degree should I start one in the next couple of years?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by swal9800
I am considering dropping out of uni and I'm half way through the second year of a 3 year degree and really not enjoying it although I am doing well.
I was wondering if anyone could give me advise on what happens in regards to student finance and how this would affect another degree should I start one in the next couple of years?

Your future entitlement to SF is dictated by the number of years of uni-level study you've already done. For the purposes of the calculation, partial years are counted as whole years.

The calculation is:
Number of years of your new degree (minus) Number of previous years of uni-level study (plus) 1 year = Number of remaining years of SF entitlement

In your situation, if you go on to start a new three year degree from scratch, the calculation gives you 3-2+1=2 years of entitlement. You will get your full SF funding (subject to usual eligibilty criteria) in the second and third years, but all you will get in the first year is a Maintenance Loan. You'll have to pay your own Tuition Fees and find the rest of your living costs.

With the current levels of Tuition Fees, most people will find it's not feasible to drop out once you've started your second year and restart from scratch. You might be better advised to try and stick with your current course - unless you have other sources of funds than SF, a second attempt at a degree may not be an option.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
Your future entitlement to SF is dictated by the number of years of uni-level study you've already done. For the purposes of the calculation, partial years are counted as whole years.

The calculation is:
Number of years of your new degree (minus) Number of previous years of uni-level study (plus) 1 year = Number of remaining years of SF entitlement

In your situation, if you go on to start a new three year degree from scratch, the calculation gives you 3-2+1=2 years of entitlement. You will get your full SF funding (subject to usual eligibilty criteria) in the second and third years, but all you will get in the first year is a Maintenance Loan. You'll have to pay your own Tuition Fees and find the rest of your living costs.

With the current levels of Tuition Fees, most people will find it's not feasible to drop out once you've started your second year and restart from scratch. You might be better advised to try and stick with your current course - unless you have other sources of funds than SF, a second attempt at a degree may not be an option.
Hi, I've studied 1 whole term + a quarter of my 2nd term at my first university then had my place frozen for approximately 6 months. This was due to mitigating circumstances. I then withdrew from that university. I am currently 1 full term + 1/4 into my 2nd term (at another university) but I'm not happy with the course I'm studying and I wish to change it but would leaving this university and starting a new course at another be an option, would student finance cover this for me?

The degree I wish to do would be 4 years long. According to the calculation method you have shared, this is what I have worked out. 4 - 2 + 1 = 3. Does this mean I would have 3 years of funding available? Many thanks.
Reply 3
Original post by Ice_512
Hi, I've studied 1 whole term + a quarter of my 2nd term at my first university then had my place frozen for approximately 6 months. This was due to mitigating circumstances. I then withdrew from that university. I am currently 1 full term + 1/4 into my 2nd term (at another university) but I'm not happy with the course I'm studying and I wish to change it but would leaving this university and starting a new course at another be an option, would student finance cover this for me?

The calculation is based on the number of years at uni, rather than the number of terms, or the number of universities. If you're part way through your second year of any kind of uni study, then SF will take that as two complete years for the purposes of their calculation.

The degree I wish to do would be 4 years long. According to the calculation method you have shared, this is what I have worked out. 4 - 2 + 1 = 3. Does this mean I would have 3 years of funding available?

Yes, that would be as I understand it for a four year degree. You'd have a Maintenance Loan only in your first year (no Tuition Fee Loan or Maintenance Grant), then your full SF entitlement in your second, third and fourth years.
You will not get funding for the first year of any future degree
Reply 5
Original post by Klix88

The calculation is:

Is this the same if the new degree is NHS funded?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by swal9800
Is this the same if the new degree is NHS funded?
Thanks

No, under those circumstances the NHS funding takes no account of previous SF funding.
Reply 7
Hi guys.

Ive recently dropped out of university during the end of my 1st term of my 2nd year at university. Originally, the course I was doing was Computer Systems: Forensics and Security with a sandwich year at NTU.. now does that make it a 3 year or a 4 year degree??

The reason I ask is because I have applied for uni again this year and looking to do Information and Communications Technology however not with a sandwich year, just 3 years full time undergraduate. So as for student finance.. will I only be eligible for 2 years of SF funding or the full 3 years? If only 2.. then is there no other funding available to me at all such as NTU scholarships, bursary, Maintenance Loan etc? Thanks guys
Reply 8
Original post by 99997866
Ive recently dropped out of university during the end of my 1st term of my 2nd year at university. Originally, the course I was doing was Computer Systems: Forensics and Security with a sandwich year at NTU.. now does that make it a 3 year or a 4 year degree??

How long your first degree course was, is not taken into account by the calculation. It's the number of years of uni-level study that you've done. Partial years are counted as full years for the purposes of the SF calculation. As you started your second year, you will be classed as having completed two years.

The reason I ask is because I have applied for uni again this year and looking to do Information and Communications Technology however not with a sandwich year, just 3 years full time undergraduate. So as for student finance.. will I only be eligible for 2 years of SF funding or the full 3 years?

That's right. The calculation (see my post above) gives you 3-2+1=2, so you'll get full SF funding (subject to your eligibility) in your second and third years.

If only 2.. then is there no other funding available to me at all such as NTU scholarships, bursary, Maintenance Loan etc? Thanks guys

You will get an SF Maintenance Loan in the first year, but not a Tuition Fee Loan or Maintenance Grant. Scholarships and bursaries at undergrad level are usually given by your university, so you need to look at the website of your chosen university to see what they offer. I'm not familiar with the NTU.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending