The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no because some other group would just pop up.

No point addressing a problem unless you're going to address the root causes of the problem as well.
Good luck funding our national insurance in twenty years.
Reply 3
If you could define what you mean by a chav, that would help. I am not being facetious here, I want to know what you mean when you use the word chav, as different people have different ideas on what makes a chav "chavvish".
Reply 4
CHAV = council house and violent. Or at least thats what I understand by it.
Not really, there wouldn't be much of an army left.
Reply 6
sr4470
CHAV = council house and violent. Or at least thats what I understand by it.

But what do you mean by that? That isn't very definitive, just a generallisation. Let's rephrase the question using your definition;

"Would removing all violent people who live in council houses make Britain safer?"

Quite possibly, but why the need to specify people living in council houses?
Nope, because many 'CHAVS' are only labelled as being so by members of society, maybe only due to one particular aspect, i.e clothing, which is not violent.

So-called 'CHAVS' are not the only form of criminal, for example, 'average' blokes on a night out can get drunk and carried away, leading to violence.

Violence is carried out by different members of society, different age-groups and people of different ethnic and religious backgrounds. To generalise and slander one group is wrong.
Reply 8
Removing all chavs would certainly make the country a safer place to leave. Although it would be slightly unfair to those non-violent chavs, the quality of life in certain areas of the country would rocket up!
Reply 9
apd35
But what do you mean by that? That isn't very definitive, just a generalisation. Let's rephrase the question using your definition;

"Would removing all violent people who live in council houses make Britain safer?"

Quite possibly, but why the need to specify people living in council houses?

Poverty breeds crime, as the saying goes...anyway, isnt what I posted the original meaning of chav? Yes it is a generalisation. Whats your definition of chav then?
Chavs is a generalisation - maybe teenagers is a better description? LOL

You know the type I mean.. usually 8-25 - hang around on the street in gangs.

I certainly fear them more than terrorists in ym everyday life!
Reply 11
Chavs are harmless most of the time when they are not in their "packs" of 20. When they are alone and try to approach you, show them a book or anything educational; it is like Kryptonite for them :p:
The country would be safer, and life would be better. I don't see how Britain would cease being better by eliminating a culture of criminality.
Reply 13
sr4470
Poverty breeds crime, as the saying goes...anyway, isnt what I posted the original meaning of chav? Yes it is a generalisation. Whats your definition of chav then?

Maybe it does but that is a problem of society, and removing the "poor" from this nation would just make a new group the "poor people." I'm not sure how I personally would define chav, but by question was more aimed at the OP, so I could answer their question.

The word chav has several possible origins, yours (which is probably a backronym), Cheltenham average and many others.
SolInvictus
The country would be safer, and life would be better. I don't see how Britain would cease being better by eliminating a culture of criminality.

That is such a generalisation.

Many people label people as being 'CHAVS' because they are wearing a particular item of clothing. In many cases, it is not based upon their actions...
Reply 15
jojo72
Chavs is a generalisation - maybe teenagers is a better description? LOL

You know the type I mean.. usually 8-25 - hang around on the street in gangs.

I certainly fear them more than terrorists in ym everyday life!

That isn't a very clear description "you know the type I mean."

If the question you are asking is, "Do I think Britain would be safer if all young people who hung around in groups were removed from the country?"

Then possibly, but it would also have a detrimental effect due to also any young people who are sociable would be removed.

Or by chavs do you mean anyone who doesn't fit with your personal ideals of lifestyle?!
guitargirl03
That is such a generalisation.

Many people label people as being 'CHAVS' because they are wearing a particular item of clothing. In many cases, it is not based upon their actions...

The fact is that a certain dress style is closely associated with a culture of ignorance, sloth and criminality.

I doubt a boy in a fake burberry cap, nickleson shirt, adidad tracksuit, hanging around the entrance to a tescos with twenty of his similiarly dressed mates, is there to enrich his mind and drink soda. Chances are that he is engaging in some petty criminal activity and is smoking and drinkind plenty of cheap cider at the age of twelve.
Reply 17
SolInvictus
The fact is that a certain dress style is closely associated with a culture of ignorance, sloth and criminality.

I doubt a boy in a fake burberry cap, nickleson shirt, adidad tracksuit, hanging around the entrance to a tescos with twenty of his similiarly dressed mates, is there to enrich his mind and drink soda. Chances are that he is engaging in some petty criminal activity and is smoking and drinkind plenty of cheap cider at the age of twelve.

Maybe in your mind it is, but does that mean anybody who wears burberry-esque clothes is therefore a danger to society, I think not.
Yeah I really fail to see the distinction between this and say, 'working class black people'.
apd35
Maybe in your mind it is, but does that mean anybody who wears burberry-esque clothes is therefore a danger to society, I think not.

This doesn't have to do with Burberry. This has to do with a culture of criminality, and like any other culture, it has its won standards of dress, lifestyle etc. that set it apart.

Latest

Trending

Trending