The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Stockton - Which areas are the best to live in?

Hello All,

I'am going to be studying at Queens Campus as of Sept/Oct this year and I plan to be living out.

As a mature student (only 25 though!) I wish to find a house to live in outside of the campus. Which are the best areas of Stockton to be looking at for either buying or renting a property.

I'am looking for good proximity to the town centre and campus and in a nice area, i.e. the minimum amounts of chavs as possible.

Many thanks for your help

Cerrith
Reply 1
Stick to Thornaby, rather than Stockton.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
grangetown, lovely place

or if not you cant go wrong with Southbank
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies its a great help. I'm traveling up a week Saturday to start house hunting so I want to make sure Im not wasting my time by looking at houses in bad areas
Reply 4
I would say Yarm. It is about 5 miles from the centre of Stockton.
I've just graduated from Durham (though I went to the main campus) and am from just near Stockton. I can tell you that alot of the areas around there are not too nice at all. If you can, your best bet would be to find somewhere rented in Yarm (lovely place) or Ingleby Barwick (I don't think you can rent very cheaply, or at all there though).

Other than that, try the new student accomodation they've built; it's ultra modern, massive and right near the campus. At least have a look when you come up house hunting. Someone suggested Grangetown sarcastically above and I'd just like to highlight that sarcasm because it's horrible.

Most of Stockton town centre isn't too nice if I'm honest. Middlesbrough isn't much better and is a bit far.

I would just recommend Yarm or the new accomodation.
Reply 6
ignore bradburyj, those are the roughest areas of stockton/middlesbrough

you could try hartburn or fairfield which are quiet suburbs of stockton, about 10 mins on bus to centre of stockton. my boyfriend goes to queens campus and lives there, finds it pretty easy going getting in and out every day.

thornaby would be good but its bigger than most people realise and again, there a definitely rough parts!

dont go for anything very near the town centre because no matter what people say there realllly are a lot of chavs lol. you are definitely better just those few minutes further even if it means the extra journey.
Oh and Southbank... that's the other sarcastic one above that you may or may not have noticed was sarcastic... just pointing out the obvious because that isn't a very nice play at all.

Sorry to spoil your fun Bradbury.
Reply 8
Thanks for the advise oneeyed. Im glad you pointed out Bradburys sarcasm as I have no idea about the area I was looking at properties online - that would have been a nasty shock when I got there!
Reply 9
Apologies for the sarcasm, should have made it clear i was joking.

i would agree with what everyone is saying about Yarm, really lovely place. might be a bit pricey but surrounding areas like eaglescliffe, egglescliffe, ingleby barwick and parts of Darlington can be really nice
To be fair Stockton, Thornaby, Darlington and Middlesbrough aren't the nicest places in the Country.

How do I know?

I've lived in Teesside for the past 18 years, well not those places mentioned but Yarm, Ingleby Barwick etc.

When though they're suppose to be upmarket they're not, plenty of drug dealers, rowdyness etc.
Reply 11
SomeonecalledJohnny
To be fair Stockton, Thornaby, Darlington and Middlesbrough aren't the nicest places in the Country.

How do I know?

I've lived in Teesside for the past 18 years, well not those places mentioned but Yarm, Ingleby Barwick etc.

When though they're suppose to be upmarket they're not, plenty of drug dealers, rowdyness etc.

Darlington and Thornably are fine, decent market towns and offer good access to countryside/Teesdale. Yes, parts of them have their problems but then same goes for everywhere. They have nowhere near the problems and deprivation that industrial Teeside and Middlesbrough in particular have, especially Grangetown and Southbank. Stockton's OK, not as bad as Middlesbrough but not as pretty as Thornaby (plus slightly higher crime rate and more industrial) but, as Queens Campus is techincally located on the Thornaby side of the Tees....

Cerrith
Hello All,

I'am going to be studying at Queens Campus as of Sept/Oct this year and I plan to be living out.

As a mature student (only 25 though!) I wish to find a house to live in outside of the campus. Which are the best areas of Stockton to be looking at for either buying or renting a property.

I'am looking for good proximity to the town centre and campus and in a nice area, i.e. the minimum amounts of chavs as possible.

Many thanks for your help

Cerrith

As others have said, sticking to Thornaby is your best bet. I don't know what the rent is like but it's probably more expensive than Stockton. Yes, avoid Grangetown and Southbank but these are in Middlesbrough and a reasonable distance from Thornaby and Stockton so I don't think you'd ever consider them anyway. Grangetown and Southbank really are rough and deprived. I think you could still buy houses (albeit terraced) for 10-15k a few short years ago!

Some of the better houses in Thornably like modern, well proportioned family three bed semis will be £100+ a week. But these aren't really targeted at students so may be a little out of reach. A quick search shows that there are some (what look to be) decent places in Thornaby for £40 - 50 a week.

http://www.ukpropertyshop.co.uk/estate-agents/jones-12283.shtml

http://www.ukpropertyshop.co.uk/estate-agents/kexgill-quality-student-accomodation-52048.shtml (just search England, Cleveland, Stockton).

I'm sure you know this but just be aware that you'll rarely find the perfect house or location. There's usually some compromise that needs to be made. But there are relatively nice and quiet areas in Thonraby and IB that'll be within your reach. Just try and concentrate on on those two areas and Yarm if it's not too far away.
Reply 12
Living in Durham, I have to say, ignore any suggestions that it (Durham) might be in any way nicer. North Road is not a fun night out for anyone's books.

I would avoid Mezzino personally.
i have a spare room come and live with us.
I'm not sure why people are recommending Thornaby, everytime I've been there I've been surrounded by council estates and felt like I might get stabbed if I looked at any of the chavs with pushchairs the wrong way.
Reply 15
Original post by bradburyj
grangetown, lovely place

or if not you cant go wrong with Southbank

LMAO
fairfield is beautiful
Hi, I live in billingham and looking for someone to share my house. What are you looking to pay? And would it be close enough for you?

Quick Reply

Latest