The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
cheesecakebobby
Yeah I really fail to see the distinction between this and say, 'working class black people'.

RACIST!

:rolleyes: (sorry: I was pointing out the difference).
Reply 21
apd35
Maybe it does but that is a problem of society, and removing the "poor" from this nation would just make a new group the "poor people." I'm not sure how I personally would define chav, but my question was more aimed at the OP, so I could answer their question.

Yeah, I was just trying to link council house to poor (although thats a bit obvious anyway)...granted, there will always be poor people and miscreants, but we can reduce the problem. It would help if the state stopped rewarding people with houses and money simply for procreating (especially at a young age). Just perpetuates things.
Reply 22
SolInvictus
This doesn't have to do with Burberry. This has to do with a culture of criminality, and like any other culture, it has its won standards of dress, lifestyle etc. that set it apart.

Sorry, I was using burberry as "their style of clothes." My point earlier is what is chav-dress and does that make anyone who wears it dangerous?
Reply 23
sr4470
Yeah, I was just trying to link council house to poor (although thats a bit obvious anyway)...granted, there will always be poor people and miscreants, but we can reduce the problem. It would help if the state stopped rewarding people with houses and money simply for procreating (especially at a young age). Just perpetuates things.

yeah! Let them and their new born child die on the streets! serve em right for being poor.
Reply 24
Thud
yeah! Let them and their new born child die on the streets! serve em right for being poor.

Erm...no, thats not quite what I was referring to. Teenagers getting themselves pregnant and then being rewarded with a house and benefits isnt helping..
Reply 25
sr4470

I don't think the state "rewards people" for procreating. People with families need housing. Would you rather that teenage mothers and their children were thrown out on to the street and made homeless? The state is being socially responsible by making sure that society's most vulnerable, the young and poor (especially the child who never asked to be born to a poor mother), have a safe home to live in.
Reply 26
sr4470
Erm...no, thats not quite what I was referring to. Teenagers getting themselves pregnant and then being rewarded with a house and benefits isnt helping..

And the solution is...?
Reply 27
apd35
And the solution is...?

They arent homeless if theyre living in the parental home.

The solution is education, and greater promotion of contraceptives.
Reply 28
sr4470
They arent homeless if theyre living in the parental home.

The solution is education, and greater promotion of contraceptives.

Yes, but removing the social safety net would not help, only make things a lot worse, also what if the parental home isn't big enough?
Reply 29
apd35
Yes, but removing the social safety net would not help, only make things a lot worse

Giving them 15k and a house isnt necessary though.

apd35
also what if the parental home isn't big enough?

There is a general lack of housing (especially in the South East where I live). I feel there are people more in need of it than pregnant chavs.

Yes, there are some sensible teenagers who got pregnant by no fault of their own due to a rare failed pill or something, but theyre in the minority I feel (and cant really be described as chavs anyway).
Reply 30
sr4470

Where does your 15k figuure come from? IIRC, jobseekers' allowance is about £80 per week.

sr4470
There is a general lack of housing (especially in the South East where I live). I feel there are people more in need of it than pregnant chavs.

Yes, there are some sensible teenagers who got pregnant by no fault of their own due to a rare failed pill or something, but theyre in the minority I feel (and cant really be described as chavs anyway).

Maybe so, but that is a lack of housing of the standard people want, social housing is there for people who can't afford anything, who deserves the social housing more in your opinion?
sr4470

People are complaining about 'CHAVS' on the street. If people chose your view point concerning housing, 'CHAVS' would have no choice but to live on the streets, where people would still bitch about them.

I'm afraid that many housing rules and regulations do not prevent certain groups of people from owning or living in a house just because of a percentage of people's misconceptions...
Reply 32
Thud

Getting pregnant at 16 isn't caused by your economic background, its stupidity. I'm sure plenty of rich girls get pregnant because of the same lack of common-sense :p:

It has nothing to do with them being poor...people need to take responsibility for their own mistakes and actions.
Reply 33
Thud
RACIST! :rolleyes: (sorry: I was pointing out the difference).

LOL
Reply 34
apd35
Where does your 15k figuure come from? IIRC, jobseekers' allowance is about £80 per week.

A single mother with children can claim other benefits as well. Add that to a rent-free home, council tax benefit and it really does rack up.

apd35
Maybe so, but that is a lack of housing of the standard people want, social housing is there for people who can't afford anything

Right, but as I said, why not live in the parental home? I also said prevention is better than cure (education and better promotion of contraception).

apd35
who deserves the social housing more in your opinion?

Families.
Reply 35
apd35
I don't think the state "rewards people" for procreating. People with families need housing. Would you rather that teenage mothers and their children were thrown out on to the street and made homeless? The state is being socially responsible by making sure that society's most vulnerable, the young and poor (especially the child who never asked to be born to a poor mother), have a safe home to live in.

Social responsibility...what ever happened to self-responsibility...
sr4470
A single mother with children can claim other benefits as well. Add that to a rent-free home, council tax benefit and it really does rack up.

Right, but as I said, why not live in the parental home? I also said prevention is better than cure (education and better promotion of contraception).

Families.

If, I'll use your example, a so-called 'CHAV' got pregnant, then that could be classified as being family....

Why should 'CHAVS' be forced to stay in the parental home just so others can have housing? There are plenty of drug-addicts living in homes, opening up to other drug addicts, yet I don't see you complaining about that... :rolleyes:
Reply 37
tehjonny
Getting pregnant at 16 isn't caused by your economic background, its stupidity. I'm sure plenty of rich girls get pregnant because of the same lack of common-sense :p:

It has nothing to do with them being poor...people need to take responsibility for their own mistakes and actions.

I disagree with you there.

more money = better education = less likely to go out and get pregnant at 16.

The poverty also makes these girls want their own house, which is a very attractive idea if you've grown up in a council house with your parents.

I think education is the answer.
To be honest if chavs die out, something else would take over
Reply 39
Thud
I disagree with you there.

more money = better education = less likely to go out and get pregnant at 16.

The poverty also makes these girls want their own house, which is a very attractive idea if you've grown up in a council house with your parents.

I think education is the answer.

Of course they want a better house...

How much education do you need to know not to get pregnant without the necessary abilities and tools to cope with, and care for the baby?

Latest

Trending

Trending