The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
tehjonny
Of course they want a better house...

How much education do you need to know not to get pregnant without the necessary abilities and tools to cope with, and care for the baby?

ok, you're 16, you're poor, you don't do well in school, you don't really want to work at Tesco behind the till for the rest of your life whilst living at home with your parents, what do you do?
Reply 41
guitargirl03
If, I'll use your example, a so-called 'CHAV' got pregnant, then that could be classified as being family....

I was refering to grown-up families...not single teenage mums.

guitargirl03
Why should 'CHAVS' be forced to stay in the parental home just so others can have housing? There are plenty of drug-addicts living in homes, opening up to other drug addicts, yet I don't see you complaining about that... :rolleyes:

This is a thread about chavs. I also dislike drug addicts, but thats really a seperate topic...

What do you think will reduce the chav problem? I appreciate I sound very hardline here compared to other posters, but I havent even gotten into the tougher policing\sentencing part yet...

Thud
ok, you're 16, you're poor, you don't do well in school, you don't really want to work at Tesco behind the till for the rest of your life whilst living at home with your parents, what do you do?

Stick it out and get into college? (low-level courses, or something vocational)
Reply 42
You can't 'remove' chavs anyways, only work on the problem.

Anyways, not all chavs are violent alcoholics. I had a group outside work tonight, they stood around looking well pathetic actually :p: :frown: . They didn't do anything to me, verbal or physical.

Most of the time they are just a little...uncouth and abrasive...:rolleyes:

And clothes definitely aren't what define a 'chav'.
Reply 43
Thud

Ummm, lets see

A) Get pregnant (even though I'm a man so it besides the point...)

B) Get onto a college course of some kind, gain some qualifications whilst working said Tesco job, gain the grades and skills necessary for a better job, career or university...etc etc, e.g. take some responsibility*slaps face in humiliating fashion* *reaches down and pulls their socks up*

It depends on what type of person you are of course...and hence we return to chavs...they would choose A)...and drink alot of cider and blaze up whilst doing so.
tehjonny
Of course they want a better house...

How much education do you need to know not to get pregnant without the necessary abilities and tools to cope with, and care for the baby?

Many teenagers who fall pregnant have not been made aware of the impact which having sex can have. Many are just unlucky. I mean, the 100% safe way of not falling pregnant is to not have sex, as accidents can and do happen.
sr4470

This is a thread about chavs. I also dislike drug addicts, but thats really a seperate topic...

What do you think will reduce the chav problem? I appreciate I sound very hardline here compared to other posters, but I havent even gotten into the tougher policing\sentencing part yet...

To be honest, I have no problems with 'CHAVS' unless they break the law. Which, in that case, they should be dealt in the same way as many other criminals.

'CHAVS' are merely a subculture, the same as 'goths', etc. A large mjority of them are harmless. It's only due to the media that they have received a lot of bad press.
Reply 46
guitargirl03
Many teenagers who fall pregnant have not been made aware of the impact which having sex can have. Many are just unlucky. I mean, the 100% safe way of not falling pregnant is to not have sex, as accidents can and do happen.

This is why education is important. Personally, I have discussed the possibilities of a pregnancy happening within my own relationship and considered what I'd do about it.
Reply 47
tehjonny
Ummm, lets see

A) Get pregnant (even though I'm a man so it besides the point...)

B) Get onto a college course of some kind, gain some qualifications whilst working said Tesco job, gain the grades and skills necessary for a better job, career or university...etc etc, e.g. take some responsibility*slaps face in humiliating fashion* *reaches down and pulls their socks up*

It depends on what type of person you are of course...and hence we return to chavs...they would choose A)...and drink alot of cider and blaze up whilst doing so.

exactly. But then you've grown up in an enviroment where B is encouraged and A is discouraged. Therefore educating people that A is not a good idea is the way to go.
Reply 48
guitargirl03
To be honest, I have no problems with 'CHAVS' unless they break the law. Which, in that case, they should be dealt in the same way as many other criminals.

Fair enough.

guitargirl03
'CHAVS' are merely a subculture, the same as 'goths', etc. A large majority of them are harmless. It's only due to the media that they have received a lot of bad press.

I will agree to an extent, goths are also violent but seem to get less press...
Reply 49
guitargirl03
It's only due to the media that they have received a lot of bad press.

Isn't it always? :wink:
poltroon
Isn't it always? :wink:

No....... *looks around* maybe.... lol.
sr4470

I will agree to an extent, goths are also violent but seem to get less press...

That's also a generalisation. It's only a small majority of 'goths' which are violent.

This is the problem, once people label a group based upon 1 individual's actions, the whole group is labelled, which is where problems arise...
Reply 52
guitargirl03
That's also a generalisation. It's only a small majority of 'goths' which are violent.

This is the problem, once people label a group based upon 1 individual's actions, the whole group is labelled, which is where problems arise...

I didnt say they all were. :wink:
sr4470
I didnt say they all were. :wink:

From what I understood, you said 'goths', you did not qualify it with 'a small majority of...' or words to that effect...

Anyhows, I'm not going to get pedantic over linguistical features, lol :p:
Reply 54
guitargirl03
From what I understood, you said 'goths', you did not qualify it with 'a small majority of...' or words to that effect...

Anyhows, I'm not going to get pedantic over linguistical features, lol :p:

I could have been more specific by saying "can be violent", nevermind. I didnt mean for it to come across as you interpreted.
sr4470
I could have been more specific by saying "can be violent", nevermind. I didnt mean for it to come across as you interpreted.

That's alright :smile:
apd35
Sorry, I was using burberry as "their style of clothes." My point earlier is what is chav-dress and does that make anyone who wears it dangerous?

No it does not make someone dangerous. But it does indicate that they probably are.

I doubt you would feel nice and safe if you encountered a gang of thus dressed boys on the street, would you?
Reply 57
Thud
exactly. But then you've grown up in an enviroment where B is encouraged and A is discouraged. Therefore educating people that A is not a good idea is the way to go.

Your right about that. I'm definitely middle-class, and yes, my mum did encourage me to work hard at school, and always instilled the attitude work = success.

I think alot of working-class parents pass down a 'bad' attitude towards education because they take the view 'if it didn't work for me, why would it work for my child'. This has to be addressed. The first thing to do would stop streaming in schools. Because most of the time those in the lower streams are there because of class, not intelligence or attitude. Then the teacher treats them with indifference because they are not expected to succeed. And so the child does not expect to succeed...

I'd say bring back grammar schools. Then, rather than the top streams making the lower ones feel second-class, intelligence would be rewarded regardless of class. Working class children more likely to succeed would be given the right tools, and those children of all classes that aren't as bright could go to technical schools/comprehensives. At the moment schools are not designed to cater to specific ability levels, and so those at the lower end get short thrift. However, not with the 11 plus, because it became the case that your future was being decided at 11. My grandmother remembers failing hers, and the feeling of having thrown her life away...at 11...
Reply 58
sr4470

So only poor people who have children at a certain age should be allowed council housing? And you still haven't answered the question, what if the parental home is too small?

[QUOTE=sr4470Stick it out and get into college? (low-level courses, or something vocational)

What happens if they're not even intelligent enough to be able to cope with any course at college. This is the case for some people.
Reply 59
SolInvictus
No it does not make someone dangerous. But it does indicate that they probably are.

I doubt you would feel nice and safe if you encountered a gang of thus dressed boys on the street, would you?

So for that reason, you tar everyone with the same brush? Do you do that with other minority cultures/sub-cultures?

Latest

Trending

Trending