The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
apd35
What happens if they're not even intelligent enough to be able to cope with any course at college. This is the case for some people.

with "any" course? :eek:

There are plenty of courses which even people who aren't particularly intelligent can do.

tehjonny: yeah, that's the point exactly. Easy way out of a life with little prospects.
Reply 61
Thud
with "any" course? :eek:

There are plenty of courses which even people who aren't particularly intelligent can do.

tehjonny: yeah, that's the point exactly. Easy way out of a life with little prospects.

Yeah, I'm talking the really un-intelligent people who work their arses off to get 1 F and 2 G's at GCSE. Also, a lot of the courses cost money once you are over a certain age, 18 or 21 I think, which makes them prohibitive to the very poorest, especially if they can't aford not to work.
Reply 62
apd35
Yeah, I'm talking the really un-intelligent people who work their arses off to get 1 F and 2 G's at GCSE. Also, a lot of the courses cost money once you are over a certain age, 18 or 21 I think, which makes them prohibitive to the very poorest, especially if they can't aford not to work.

ok well if we're talking about them ones there's always something for them to do.

I don't know....hairdressing? It requires a pretty non-academic work to get the skills (I'm not saying it's easy but it doesn't require a great deal of intelligence but rather a degree of skill).

Cleaners?

Something involving a skill rather than intelligence - shoemaking perhaps.
Reply 63
Thud
ok well if we're talking about them ones there's always something for them to do.

I don't know....hairdressing? It requires a pretty non-academic work to get the skills (I'm not saying it's easy but it doesn't require a great deal of intelligence but rather a degree of skill).

Cleaners?

Something involving a skill rather than intelligence - shoemaking perhaps.

Hairdressing requires intelligence, as you need to know about the chemicals involved in the creams, mousses, etc.
Shoemaking is generally done in third-world sweatshops nowadays.

Also, as I said, most people do work, there are less than one million people on jobseeker's allowance, which is around 3.5% of the population of employable age, not very high. Also, in order to get jobseeker's allowance, the person claiming has to convince someone at the job centre that they are actively seeking employment.
Reply 64
apd35
Hairdressing requires intelligence, as you need to know about the chemicals involved in the creams, mousses, etc.
Shoemaking is generally done in third-world sweatshops nowadays.

Also, as I said, most people do work, there are less than one million people on jobseeker's allowance, which is around 3.5% of the population of employable age, not very high. Also, in order to get jobseeker's allowance, the person claiming has to convince someone at the job centre that they are actively seeking employment.

knowing about the chemicals is a memory task.

ok shoe repairing then.

There are plenty of opportunities for these people if they get over the idea that the world owes them something and that getting pregnant is a good way out.
Reply 65
Thud

There are plenty of opportunities for these people if they get over the idea that the world owes them something and that getting pregnant is a good way out.

Do you know anyone like that or is it something you hav inferred from what you hear/see/read in the media. For someone who elsewhere seems to mention left-wing credentials, you have a very low opinion of the social security system.
Reply 66
apd35
Do you know anyone like that or is it something you hav inferred from what you hear/see/read in the media. For someone who elsewhere seems to mention left-wing credentials, you have a very low opinion of the social security system.

I know many people like that - grow up poor and see getting pregnant and receiving a house as a good way out.
Reply 67
Thud
I know many people like that - grow up poor and see getting pregnant and receiving a house as a good way out.

But it isn't a way out, it means they stay poor and it is due to poor education. I still don't see how removing the social housing safety net would help matters.
Reply 68
apd35
But it isn't a way out, it means they stay poor and it is due to poor education. I still don't see how removing the social housing safety net would help matters.

I don't want to remove the social housing safety net.
Reply 69
Thud
I don't want to remove the social housing safety net.

So how do we stop "rewarding" teenage mothers with houses then?
apd35
So for that reason, you tar everyone with the same brush? Do you do that with other minority cultures/sub-cultures?

First point, you didn't answer my question. Second, it depends on the sub-culture. I don't think that someons wearing a swastika armband, steel toed boots and a "SS" t-shirt is a friendly member of the local anti-racism society.

I think it is time we shove PC out the window and call a spade a spade.
Reply 71
SolInvictus
First point, you didn't answer my question. Second, it depends on the sub-culture. I don't think that someons wearing a swastika armband, steel toed boots and a "SS" t-shirt is a friendly member of the local anti-racism society.

I think it is time we shove PC out the window and call a spade a spade.

To answer your question, I'm not sure, sometimes I would, sometimes I wouldn't. Quite often, I have found out by experience, some people who could be classed as chavvy I've misjudged and in fact were nice people.

Throw PC out of the window? So we can all use racist and inflammatory language?
apd35
To answer your question, I'm not sure, sometimes I would, sometimes I wouldn't. Quite often, I have found out by experience, some people who could be classed as chavvy I've misjudged and in fact were nice people.

Throw PC out of the window? So we can all use racist and inflammatory language?

No. I mean addressing problems with today's society. CHAV quite simply means a culture of criminality, violence and amorality.
Reply 73
SolInvictus
No. I mean addressing problems with today's society. CHAV quite simply means a culture of criminality, violence and amorality.

If by chav you mean anyone with an aggressive attitude who frequently gets into trouble with the police and likes to fight, then I will agree with you that the issue needs dealing with.

My response was to your comment that PC needs throwing out of the window. People see political correctness as the evil bogeyman, when in fact the aim of PC is to try to prevent language being used that makes people feel threatened, e.g. racist terminology, my question was do you think people should use racist terms seiing as you are anti-PC? if not, what parts of PC do you disagree with?
Yeah throw yr PC out the window, get a Mac

oh wrong PC! Roffles!
apd35
If by chav you mean anyone with an aggressive attitude who frequently gets into trouble with the police and likes to fight, then I will agree with you that the issue needs dealing with.

My response was to your comment that PC needs throwing out of the window. People see political correctness as the evil bogeyman, when in fact the aim of PC is to try to prevent language being used that makes people feel threatened, e.g. racist terminology, my question was do you think people should use racist terms seiing as you are anti-PC? if not, what parts of PC do you disagree with?

Even if the aim of PC is to prevent language used that makes people feel threatened, that doesn't automatically mean PC is ACHIEVING this aim: it's gone too far to the point that in numerous cases, any phrase which illustrates white/British culture is banned e.g. the increasing lack of Christmas references and celebrations in schools, which no reasonable person could be offended by. Any way, telling someone they can't say something because it might offend others is generally like telling someone in a movie not to push 'the red button', they really want to push it.
Rofl, goths are a bunch of pansy ****ers. The only things they hurt are their own wrists, and good ****ing riddance to them. Stop crying.

Be it through education or harsh social reforms, you need to make going out and getting a job more attractive than getting pregnant and getting a council house, which for many people at the moment is it. Re-education would hopefully work in the long term, but what about the short? If people had to take responsibility for their own selves - you know, like humans - and their lives would literally be ruined if they had kids when they weren't ready, perhaps they'd be more likely to actively seek out the information themselves, instead of us waiting for the government to tie them down and force feed it to them.
Reply 77
SolInvictus
No it does not make someone dangerous. But it does indicate that they probably are.

I doubt you would feel nice and safe if you encountered a gang of thus dressed boys on the street, would you?

I shall henceforth proceed to clothe myself in one fake Burberry cap, a Nickleson shirt, and an Adidas tracksuit. I will encourage my peers to do the same and how the general public reacts to my presence shall, no doubt, be of considerable interest; will I receive looks of admonishment or be treated with respect? Only time will tell...

If it progresses advantageously then I may even wear the outfit to my Mathematics university interviews. :smile:
Removal? To where? The moon?

http://jayforeman.co.uk/audio/moonchavs

Wouldn't the world be much better today
If all chavs were miles and miles away
Where there's far more craters than w***ers and thugs
Nothing but each other and clangers to mug

Moon chavs
Chavs on the moon
In a burberry spaceship
Chavs on the moon

What would they do there? Nobody knows.
But who'd care anyway if every chav goes
To where there's no KFC, no McD's, no high street
Nothing but moon cheese and clangers to eat.

Moon chavs
Chavs on the moon
In a burberry spaceship
Chavs on the moon (repeat ad nauseum)
Reply 79
apd35

That's peculiar. You must be the first person in the history of D&D to value personal anecdotes over facts reported in the media (not including the Mail obviously). I'm sure if Thud stated that she knew someone who became pregnant as a "career move" you'd be the first to throw rotten tomatoes at her and boo her off stage.

But, assuming you don't automatically disregard everything you read or hear it might interest you to learn of this rather recent (today actually) article that appeared in the Indescribablyboring.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article1180248.ece

Sorry, I can't give you more details but I don't subscribe to the Indy, for a very good reasons. It's crap.

Latest

Trending

Trending