The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lusus Naturae
I shall henceforth proceed to clothe myself in one fake Burberry cap, a Nickleson shirt, and an Adidas tracksuit. I will encourage my peers to do the same and how the general public reacts to my presence shall, no doubt, be of considerable interest; will I receive looks of admonishment or be treated with respect? Only time will tell...

If it progresses advantageously then I may even wear the outfit to my Mathematics university interviews. :smile:

Will you really?

And let us not forget that you will have to tuck your shirt into your socks, put on white trainers, and possibly accessorise with some cheap and tacky 'bling' innit.
Reply 81
SolInvictus
And let us not forget that you will have to tuck your shirt into your socks..........

HTF do you do that?
Reply 84
Except that's not accurate, and it's on ED anyway,which is rubbish.
arkbar

rofl, no ****. I think that's the point.
Reply 86
Not accurate in that it's describing a more americanised phenonmenon and ED is rubbish because it's edited by a bunch of idiots from LJdrama
arkbar
Not accurate in that it's describing a more americanised phenonmenon and ED is rubbish because it's edited by a bunch of idiots from LJdrama

rofl, no ****. I think that's the point.

(rinse, repeat)
arkbar

Oh, sorry - I wasn't aware the link to Wikipedia was placed there purely for our social and educational benefit in fully understanding what a chav was.

:rolleyes:
Reply 89
Greyhound02
Even if the aim of PC is to prevent language used that makes people feel threatened, that doesn't automatically mean PC is ACHIEVING this aim: it's gone too far to the point that in numerous cases, any phrase which illustrates white/British culture is banned e.g. the increasing lack of Christmas references and celebrations in schools, which no reasonable person could be offended by. Any way, telling someone they can't say something because it might offend others is generally like telling someone in a movie not to push 'the red button', they really want to push it.

A lot of the reported "PC gone mad stories" are from groups' or individuals' interpretation of what they think they should do. All the schools that I or any of my family, both parents being teachers, have been involved with have always been able to mention Christmas. Most of the "OTT" PC stuff is made up by someone behind a desk thinking "ooh, we can't say that, it might offend the 'ethnics' " (that WAS intended to sound racist), quite often, I would imagine to hide their own personal racism. Normal people won't be offended by mentioning Christmas, and it is likely to be more offensive not too, however these "PC gone mad" articles and events really do give a lot of material to stir up anti-"foreigner" feelings, allowing people to scorn Poltical Correctness paint it all as bad, and hark back to the "good old days" where language wan't controlled (and racist hiring practices and abuse were commonplace).

Also, who bans these references to "white/British culture"?
to the OP: YES!

chavs are scum. its not just about what they wear, its the attitude. if all chavs were beamed off the earth of experimentation by an alien race then petty crime in this country would virtually dissapear.
Wayne Rooney's a chav
high priestess fnord

chavs are scum. its not just about what they wear, its the attitude. if all chavs were beamed off the earth of experimentation by an alien race then petty crime in this country would virtually dissapear.

Amen Sister!!!!
high priestess fnord

What a load of crap.

Crime is committed by numerous groups of people. Also, the police, as far as I know, do not have a group called "crimes committed by chavs". Afterall, 'chavs' are only regarded as being chavs by groups of people who choose specific characteristics on which to base 'CHAVS' on.

I mean, it's people's perceptions of others which give them their labels. Afterall, I may think someone's a bitch, whereas someone else might think they're lovely...

People assume that just because, for example, someone's dressed head-to-toe in Burberry that all they do is commit crimes and then sit on their arses all day, which, in most cases, is not actually true.
Howard
HTF do you do that?

oops. I meant tucking track bottoms into socks.
Reply 95
Hi there people! This debate seems interesting and I have a deeply rooted hatred of "chavs" (or "charvers" as we call them where i'm from).

First of all, in my eyes, a chav is much more than a person wearing a burberry hat drinking white lightning outside of an abandoned garage; they are a class in their own, with their own rituals, values and attitudes, some (but not all) of which could be considered 'criminal'. Indeed, 'chav-specific' crimes seem to be emerging all the time (happy slapping is a case in point - have you ever seen or heard about any other type of criminal appart from a chav committing such an act?) I wouldn't go as far as saying all charves should be culled or removed from society (although some particular individuals certainly should), because as many of you have rightly pointed out, crime is ubiquitous and is committed by many different kinds of people. What is evident however, is that no matter who commits crime, there is a real and serious fear of chavs in today's society for many people. My girlfriend's brother (who is 8) is now afraid to walk to school because he recently got held at knifepoint by a "chav" who then stole his bike. Similarly, my friend has been repeatedly attacked and assaulted by chavs. His most recent run in involved a group of 10 of them breaking into his car (while he was in it) and driving it into a wall.

In my opinion therefore, something does need to be done, as the chav issue seems to be a serious and growing problem (the amount of responses to this thread alone is an indication of this). Perhaps simply removing them from society is not the answer though - maybe we should "divide and conquer", as chavs are only at their worst when they are in a large group.
Reply 96
'chavs', however they are defined (which is usually by the middle-classes in negative terms), are a product of the economic and social forces which permeate this country. Unless the structural inequalities of society are addressed they will continue to generate conflict consequences.

As for 'safer', well, this assumes that people who are labelled 'chav' are de facto criminally and/or anti-social minded, which is to put the cart before the horse.

There's also the issue of 'safer' for whom? How safe are poor people when those in power increasingly regard them as 'scum' because of what they wear and what music they listen to?

Oswy.
Reply 97
SolInvictus
The country would be safer, and life would be better. I don't see how Britain would cease being better by eliminating a culture of criminality.

You are aware that most criminals are successful because they don't look like criminals? That would be silly now, wouldn't it?
Reply 98
high priestess fnord

Say what?
Reply 99
There has always been problems with working-class youths in this country, this isn't a first.

Latest

Trending

Trending