The Student Room Group

Films that have lived up to the books (or not) and other questions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Polkadot2

1) Just post films that you recommend that lived up to the book
LOTR
Game of Thrones (well, a TV series, but has production values of a film series)

2) A film better than the book

Blade Runner / Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.
Children of Men.

3) Film- a disappointment compared to the book

So many...But I'll go for The Golden Compass / Northern Lights. I actually like the film but it just can't compete with the book which is so brilliant.

5) Good films that are books (haven't read book though)

The Remains of the Day
The Silence of the Lambs

6) A book you think would make a good film

Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin.
1) Just post films that you recommend that lived up to the book
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - both parts (the only film version that really did the book justice tbh)
A Little Princess - the book is one of my favourites and the film comes very close to matching it in quality

A Room With A View - but I find both pretty boring, the film just less so

All of the Harry Potters except for Deathly Hallows

4) Films that are to be released that you're excited about because of the book
TFIOS. I wasn't huge on the book, but it wasn't bad. How good the film is remains to be seen.

Alice in Wonderland - the Disney animated film. The book's on the to-read pile though
Carrie's War - BBC TV adaptation from a few years ago

I, Coriander by Sally Gardner
Cloud Atlas was a pretty good movie that turned out to also be an amazing book.

I haven't watched it, but I don't need to to tell you that the Ender's Game movie cannot possibly compare to the book.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
1) Just post films that you recommend that lived up to the book: ____________

2) A film better than the book: Fight Club

3) Film- a disappointment compared to the book: Life of Pi, Stormbreaker

4) Films that are to be released that you're excited about because of the book: ___________

5) Good films that are books (haven't read book though): Game of Thrones (TV show, I know)

6) A book you think would make a good film: 'Flesh House' / any of the logan McRae series of books by Stuart Macbride
1) Just post films that you recommend that lived up to the book - The only ones I know of are Hunger games and Catching fire

2) A film better than the book - None that I can think of to be honest...

3) Film- a disappointment compared to the book - All of the Harry potters

4) Films that are to be released that you're excited about because of the book - Mockingjay

5) Good films that are books (haven't read book though) - Ender's Game - Just started the book because the film was good!

6) A book you think would make a good film - Poison study, Fire study and magic study (cant remember the author), The gone series by michael grant would be brilliant i think. I was going to say any Tess gerritsen books but the rizzoli and isles series is a bit of a disappointment to be honest so I'm not sure how well a film would do...
Original post by Polkadot2
1)

3) Harry Potter, J.K Rowling & My sister's Keeper, Jodi Picoult (preferred the ending in the book)

My Sisters Keeper is one of my favourite books ever. I remember the first time I read it and how shocking I thought the ending was. I was so excited when I heard they were going to do a film. And so disappointed when I saw it. The book is brilliant. The film is awful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by crazeesurf
My Sisters Keeper is one of my favourite books ever. I remember the first time I read it and how shocking I thought the ending was. I was so excited when I heard they were going to do a film. And so disappointed when I saw it. The book is brilliant. The film is awful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree 100%- the film ending is the predictable option
Original post by Care-Free
1) I was going to say any Tess gerritsen books but the rizzoli and isles series is a bit of a disappointment to be honest so I'm not sure how well a film would do...

I have read the books and watched the TV Show, and I am a massive fan. However, the TV Show doesn't reflect the books, and I can say that I actually prefer the show to the books. On the other hand, the books are very well written and very interesting, but I find the show funnier and more intriguing.
Original post by RebeccaAmey
I have read the books and watched the TV Show, and I am a massive fan. However, the TV Show doesn't reflect the books, and I can say that I actually prefer the show to the books. On the other hand, the books are very well written and very interesting, but I find the show funnier and more intriguing.

I do enjoy the show if I don't compare it to the books but it took some warming up to, i hate the casting of Maura...I always imagined her as looking a little Cleopatra-esque, Jane's not how I imagined her but I still like her. If i just don't think about the books then it's a good show but it was hard to do that when I first found it because I adore every book Gerittsen has written :biggrin:
1) Just post films that you recommend that lived up to the book...

Warm bodies, cos it's only so hard to live up to, amusing all the same albeit I envisaged a lot of things differently.

Can't think of one

"Golden Compass", ugh, it wasn't absolutely horrific but was pretty bad, and why the hell did they end it at the point they did? May as well get to the ending of the book, it's a better cliff hanger for another film.

4) Films that are to be released that you're excited about because of the book

If it ever comes out, Hyperion Cantos.

Since it is coming out this year, The Maze Runner has the potential to be fairly good.

Can't think of any right now but it'll be loads.

The forever war, they'd be able to mix action, humour, philosophy etc. Albeit it would be a ***** to make, would need to be long as well, 3hrs probably. Also as a fairly old book it probably would need too much altered to be made politically correct, especially the whole angle of homosexually sort of being a choice, or at least the eradication of heterosexuality/enforced societal change to promote homosexuality for all, being a conscious decision by society/the world.

Quick Reply

Latest