The Student Room Group

Unable to land a part time job

I have applied to many places to get a part time job and so far I have been unsuccessful because they say there are people with more experience than me but how can I gain experience if they keeping telling me no?

Even though I have done lots of charity work and work experience at marks and spencers. What am I doing wrong?
Don't just apply to one specific type of work; apply to a range, for example - retail, administration, waitressing etc.

Get a solid CV, maybe submit it to the CV thread on this site as they give good advice. And finally, when filling out the application form; make sure you give solid answers to generic questions like 'Why do you want to work for X'

Good luck and don't give up!
Reply 2
Original post by itssimplyme
Don't just apply to one specific type of work; apply to a range, for example - retail, administration, waitressing etc.

Get a solid CV, maybe submit it to the CV thread on this site as they give good advice. And finally, when filling out the application form; make sure you give solid answers to generic questions like 'Why do you want to work for X'

Good luck and don't give up!

Thank you, so far I have applied to waitressing jobs and retail, and I think I must be going wrong in my cover letter/cv maybe?
Original post by niamh17
I have applied to many places to get a part time job and so far I have been unsuccessful because they say there are people with more experience than me but how can I gain experience if they keeping telling me no?

Even though I have done lots of charity work and work experience at marks and spencers. What am I doing wrong?

If you have Bs at GCSE Maths and English and any kind of experience with children then try Explore Learning :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by iheartdjokovic
If you have Bs at GCSE Maths and English and any kind of experience with children then try Explore Learning :smile:

Sorry but would you mind telling me what explore learning is? I got an A in English and a B in maths and I do some baby sitting from time to time.
Original post by niamh17
Sorry but would you mind telling me what explore learning is? I got an A in English and a B in maths and I do some baby sitting from time to time.

http://www.explorelearning.co.uk/

You basically just have to help the kids if they get stuck on anything and write notes for their parents on what and how they're doing, they take on people without much experience and there are loads of centres across the country
Reply 6
Original post by iheartdjokovic
http://www.explorelearning.co.uk/

You basically just have to help the kids if they get stuck on anything and write notes for their parents on what and how they're doing, they take on people without much experience and there are loads of centres across the country

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 7
All about the CV, I am 20, got my first job at 16, worked there now 4 years and I am a team-leader, whilst doing a degree.
I help hire people, and when I look through , if you don't have experience then you need to make yourself stand out in other ways.
If you want, I will look and advise your CV.
Original post by TheBigJosh
All about the CV, I am 20, got my first job at 16, worked there now 4 years and I am a team-leader, whilst doing a degree.
I help hire people, and when I look through , if you don't have experience then you need to make yourself stand out in other ways.
If you want, I will look and advise your CV.

If i send you my cv for explore learning can you check that? Please
Reply 9
Not sure if they have one near you, but google 'Kumon', my local place always used to hire students to check on us all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending