The Student Room Group

No graduate job, late masters application

I applied for masters at some unis at the beginning of August, with QMUL being my preferable choice, but its still 'Decision Pending'. I know they say it may take 4-6 weeks, but it's almost september. I would have applied earlier, but my plan was to get bachelors, find a job and thats it. The job market unfortunately said 'no lol' 🙃 So i applied late for masters and now I'm stressing when the decision is gonna come as I literally have nowhere to live in September... And I cant even call them cause its just a bot telling me to send a message through the applicant portal and the response itself may take up to 10 working days. Theres no part time or full time job in the city I currently live in and my contract ends in a few weeks. Believe me, I applied for every job I could be suitable for and there are only rejections and ghosting. Plus I am not from the UK, I have no family in here, just my boyfriend whose situation is pretty much the same and coming back to my country gives me no prospective future. Should I just wait for the decisions and relax or try to do something (but what exactly?)?
Original post by Mdlnn
I applied for masters at some unis at the beginning of August, with QMUL being my preferable choice, but its still 'Decision Pending'. I know they say it may take 4-6 weeks, but it's almost september. I would have applied earlier, but my plan was to get bachelors, find a job and thats it. The job market unfortunately said 'no lol' 🙃 So i applied late for masters and now I'm stressing when the decision is gonna come as I literally have nowhere to live in September... And I cant even call them cause its just a bot telling me to send a message through the applicant portal and the response itself may take up to 10 working days. Theres no part time or full time job in the city I currently live in and my contract ends in a few weeks. Believe me, I applied for every job I could be suitable for and there are only rejections and ghosting. Plus I am not from the UK, I have no family in here, just my boyfriend whose situation is pretty much the same and coming back to my country gives me no prospective future. Should I just wait for the decisions and relax or try to do something (but what exactly?)?

Hey @Mdlnn :redface: How are you feeling about things today?

Waiting for a response can be really stressful but if QMUL is your number one choice and your application is making its way through their system then it might be the only option for now unfortunately :frown: I'd still recommend sending the message through the applicant portal though as they might get back to you quicker than you think. August and September is a really busy time for Admissions teams for processing both Undergraduate and Postgraduate applications but I'm sure they'll be working their way through them all and you'll hear a reply soon if you applied at the start of the month.

Another side note I'd like to include - I was in the same situation as you with the job market when I left uni. I was determined to get out there and straight to work after graduating but the job market wasn't great at the time. I also received tons of rejections and put lots of effort in to applications that I didn't hear back from. I ended up working part time until I found an entry level role which acted as a stepping stone for future employment :smile: It wasn't the route I thought I'd take but I'm glad everything happened the way it did. Just wanted to send you tons of luck and reassurance that it will get better with time and perserverence.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @Mdlnn :redface: How are you feeling about things today?

Waiting for a response can be really stressful but if QMUL is your number one choice and your application is making its way through their system then it might be the only option for now unfortunately :frown: I'd still recommend sending the message through the applicant portal though as they might get back to you quicker than you think. August and September is a really busy time for Admissions teams for processing both Undergraduate and Postgraduate applications but I'm sure they'll be working their way through them all and you'll hear a reply soon if you applied at the start of the month.

Another side note I'd like to include - I was in the same situation as you with the job market when I left uni. I was determined to get out there and straight to work after graduating but the job market wasn't great at the time. I also received tons of rejections and put lots of effort in to applications that I didn't hear back from. I ended up working part time until I found an entry level role which acted as a stepping stone for future employment :smile: It wasn't the route I thought I'd take but I'm glad everything happened the way it did. Just wanted to send you tons of luck and reassurance that it will get better with time and perserverence.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Hi Caitlin, thank you for your words! I did message them through the portal after my post. I'm still waiting for any message, but each day I lose hope. You said you worked part time until you found something, but in my case even that is not possible. As I said it's rough in the city I live in. I left my part time job in May due to feeling mentally unwell working there and since then I have found nothing else. I had over a year of experience in that place so I thought applying for similar jobs will land me something quick, but unfortunately it didn't. I have to decide what to do probably before the next week ends and so far it seems I will have to go home ☹️ And I won't be able to do anything at home besides taking a gap year and going to masters next year. I'm from a small town so there are no jobs there either (I tried applying in the past). There's nothing to do there and my parents won't be happy that I'm coming back with nothing either. Someone could say waiting a year is not that bad, but for me... I have pre settled status and if I come back in a year, I'll have to wait longer to get settled status and idk I just feel bad with the thought of coming back home now ☹️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending