The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
generalebriety
You haven't addressed half the points I've made. You just keep telling me I can't generalise, when...

...the statistic suggests it, the people posting here suggest it, and my experience talking to people in my school and other schools suggests it.

This is boring me now.

Me not addressing your points? You can blummin' well talk! You havent addressed half the stuff I've posted and have just waffled on.

You are so dense for a supposedly straight A* candidate. Did anyone ever tell you that statistics can be very misleading? Well it certainly doesn't appear so! The statistics show the percentage of students dropping out but they don't state the reasons why. They certainly do not indicate that most people 'hate PE', which is what you suggested.

Now, going going back to my secondary point derived from the primary point (that physical fitness is an important element for an individual's overall developent and well-being). The government could launch initiatives to curb feelings of insecurity for people who find PE daunting, and encourage them to participate in such sporting events and activities.

Ask every student in the country what they would rather do out of Maths and PE. I think I know what the answer would be.
NViasko
Ask every student in the country what they would rather do out of Maths and PE. I think I know what the answer would be.

Yup maths :p: ... or at least that is what my answer would have been if I was still in school
:vroam:
Reply 62
potspansamy
Yup maths :p: ... or at least that is what my answer would have been if I was still in school
:vroam:

Har Har. :wink:
NViasko
Me not addressing your points? You can blummin' well talk! You havent addressed half the stuff I've posted and have just waffled on.

You are so dense for a supposedly straight A* candidate. Did anyone ever tell you that statistics can be very misleading? Well it certainly doesn't appear so! The statistics show the percentage of students dropping out but they don't state the reasons why. They certainly do not indicate that most people 'hate PE', which is what you suggested.

There really is no need to resort to insulting me. I made three or four posts earlier in this thread to which you replied "I am viewing this from a broader perspective", "You can't generalise like that", and so on. I don't think you addressed those at all. You said that people don't go on to do PE at A-level which I ignored on purpose, because PE at A-level is an academic subject, and the thread title states "sport". I doubt it's too difficult for 7 out of 10 children to kick a ball around in school if they want to, regardless of money, domestic situations, and so on. And I doubt anywhere near 7 out of 10 are actually physically unable to play sport. So either they're unfit - and therefore wouldn't enjoy it - or they don't like sport, both of which I said.

NViasko
Now, going going back to my secondary point derived from the primary point (that physical fitness is an important element for an individual's overall developent and well-being). The government could launch initiatives to curb feelings of insecurity for people who find PE daunting, and encourage them to participate in such sporting events and activities.

The government could do many things. It hasn't and won't. So we're stuck with the current situation.

NViasko

I think you know what my answer would be... but then again, I'm obviously just an exception.
Reply 64
generalebriety
There really is no need to resort to insulting me. I made three or four posts earlier in this thread to which you replied "I am viewing this from a broader perspective", "You can't generalise like that", and so on. I don't think you addressed those at all. You said that people don't go on to do PE at A-level which I ignored on purpose, because PE at A-level is an academic subject, and the thread title states "sport". I doubt it's too difficult for 7 out of 10 children to kick a ball around in school if they want to, regardless of money, domestic situations, and so on. And I doubt anywhere near 7 out of 10 are actually physically unable to play sport. So either they're unfit - and therefore wouldn't enjoy it - or they don't like sport, both of which I said.

The government could do many things. It hasn't and won't. So we're stuck with the current situation.

I think you know what my answer would be... but then again, I'm obviously just an exception.

You cannot generalise from such limited data, especially not from your minority view! "Most people hate PE" is a hideous comment and no truth lies within this statement.

You then went off at a tangent in a previous post and completely misinterpreted the point and replied with: "No, I understood what you meant, I was just taking the piss" You then started talking nonsense about Maths ability being proportional to Physical Fitness - totally out of control and irrelevant, but it made me smile :biggrin:

More Physical Fitness should be introduced into schools. It is definitely something that the government needs to consider in order to curb rising trends in obesity. It is also vital for an individuals overall development.
NViasko
You cannot generalise from such limited data, especially not from your minority view! "Most people hate PE" is a hideous comment and no truth lies within this statement.

You then went off at a tangent in a previous post and completely misinterpreted the point and replied with: "No, I understood what you meant, I was just taking the piss" You then started talking nonsense about Maths ability being proportional to Physical Fitness - totally out of control and irrelevant, but it made me smile :biggrin:

Well, I was taking the piss. :rolleyes: I wasn't prepared for you to turn completely serious and annoying over it. It was a light-hearted topic till you bounded into it and started insulting me. :rolleyes:

NViasko
More Physical Fitness should be introduced into schools. It is definitely something that the government needs to consider in order to curb rising trends in obesity. It is also vital for an individuals overall development.

Personally, I'd say they should cut down the number of fast food restaurants on every street corner. I live near Birkenhead, which is a fairly large town, with a fairly small town centre. There's a McDonald's, a Burger King, three Sayers, two Greggs, a Waterfields (edit: a bakery situated in the north-west, but all it ever sells round here is the same sort of stuff as Sayers: sausage rolls, cakes, custard slices...), a Subway, several people selling ice cream, and so on. And you know, I don't have a clue where the nearest sports centre is. And whereas I used to go for walks in the park, it's now a construction site. Trends in obesity are caused by the introduction of fast food and microwave food and the huge consequential drop in motivation to do anything (not helped by the fact that a lot of these foods don't give you much in terms of sugars or carbohydrates for energy - trust me, I used to eat a lot of the stuff, and I've never felt as sluggish since).

PE doesn't need to be introduced into schools, because schools can only do so much - my school has huge amounts of facilities, but it doesn't have enough staff or space to let us all do what we wanted in PE. And this is the same in any school. So PE for me ended up as cross-country or athletics, something we could do outside while various cricket or hockey teams practised in the sports hall or rugby people did weight training. What does need to happen is the introduction of free choice into PE, and/or free/cheap access to sports and fitness facilities outside schools for everyone, with appropriate advertising. And less crap food. I'd be glad of a decent place to buy a cheese sandwich and a drink of water round here (rather than a cheeseburger and a milkshake), and a park I could walk in without tripping over the rocks. 40 minutes of PE a week can do nothing about this, and at the current rate, doubling that will just make those who love PE more enthusiastic and those who hate it less enthusiastic.

So really, your 'solution' does nothing.
Reply 66
I have done PE for two hours a week until recently finishing year 11 and tbh I am very glad that it's over. In year 7/8/9 I messed about in every lesson - deliberately annoying the teacher, twagging, refusing to participate, talking loudly when the lessy teacher was talking and generally being childish. (however I was like this in all my lessons).
Then in year 10 I turned over a new leaf and tried a bit harder and enjoyed it and got quite into it.
In year 11 I just about twagged the lot. Me and my friend would hide in a spare classroom and talk and towards the exams - revise which I consider a much more productive idea.

The lessons in my opinion just didn't stimulate everyone.
We played team sports like netball, hockey, dogeball and basketball and if you dawdled and didn't try you would be shouted at and called lazy. But when I did try, my teacher would be encouraging however a couple of shining fitness freaks on the other side wold get all bitchy and make nasty comments. I once got beaten up (punched and all) in the changing rooms for accidently scratching a popular (but bitchy) girl when jumping to catch a netball!!!!

We did a few non-team sports such as running, circuits, tennis, badminton which I enjoyed a lot more because you work at your own pace and set your own personal targets.

I think teachers in PE lessons should work a lot more at promoting healthy living including eating and exercise. They should encourage other hobbies that cant be done in school as some people just aren't suited to teamsports. I have found that I love long distance country walks (orienteering), cycling, horse-riding, watersports, golf, climbing much more than skipping round a boring circuit or getting my shins wacked with a hockey stick. But it just comes down to the individual and personal preference I suppose.

The government should make sports facilities more accessible and cheaper for young people. Maybe allow free access to swimming pools in the holidays and charge cheaper prices for courts etc. Something also should be done to combat the problem of fast food outlets, takeaways, bakeries and set up healthy tasty places.
Reply 67
generalebriety
Well, I was taking the piss. :rolleyes: I wasn't prepared for you to turn completely serious and annoying over it. It was a light-hearted topic till you bounded into it and started insulting me. :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd say they should cut down the number of fast food restaurants on every street corner. I live near Birkenhead, which is a fairly large town, with a fairly small town centre. There's a McDonald's, a Burger King, three Sayers, two Greggs, a Waterfields (edit: a bakery situated in the north-west, but all it ever sells round here is the same sort of stuff as Sayers: sausage rolls, cakes, custard slices...), a Subway, several people selling ice cream, and so on. And you know, I don't have a clue where the nearest sports centre is. And whereas I used to go for walks in the park, it's now a construction site. Trends in obesity are caused by the introduction of fast food and microwave food and the huge consequential drop in motivation to do anything (not helped by the fact that a lot of these foods don't give you much in terms of sugars or carbohydrates for energy - trust me, I used to eat a lot of the stuff, and I've never felt as sluggish since).

PE doesn't need to be introduced into schools, because schools can only do so much - my school has huge amounts of facilities, but it doesn't have enough staff or space to let us all do what we wanted in PE. And this is the same in any school. So PE for me ended up as cross-country or athletics, something we could do outside while various cricket or hockey teams practised in the sports hall or rugby people did weight training. What does need to happen is the introduction of free choice into PE, and/or free/cheap access to sports and fitness facilities outside schools for everyone, with appropriate advertising. And less crap food. I'd be glad of a decent place to buy a cheese sandwich and a drink of water round here (rather than a cheeseburger and a milkshake), and a park I could walk in without tripping over the rocks. 40 minutes of PE a week can do nothing about this, and at the current rate, doubling that will just make those who love PE more enthusiastic and those who hate it less enthusiastic.

So really, your 'solution' does nothing.

Your response was completely and utterly illogical. You blatantly misread and misinterpreted my post then went off at a 90 degree tangent, spouting utter nonsense, then adopted a feeble attempt at covering it up by claiming you were "taking the piss". It was not 'light hearted', it was you getting muddled up.

I never said PE needed to be introduced in schools (it already is). I said that more emphasis should be placed on the physical fitness and physiological state of the average student currently undertaking compulsory education. This could be achieved by allocating an increased time for such timetabled activities. But so many schools are under the regime to focus their energies into producing the best exam results and out-performing in the leagut tables (concentrating purely on academic subjects), which subsequently has detrimental effects on such potential initiatives; thus failing to introduce more physical exercise in compulsary education (so that it eventually goes a miss.).

As for the junk food, that's really up to the individual.
My solution doesn't work? That's your opinion. Your other opinion was "Most students hate PE" which is absurd.

You're coming across as one of the kids who used to make up every excuse under the sun to try to avoid enduring in a PE lesson. And that's not a problem! There were a few (approx. 10%) of students in my PE class who tried to bunk off. But you can't go around saying "Most people hate PE" That's bloody *******s mate LOL :biggrin:
NViasko
I never said PE needed to be introduced in schools (it already is). I said that more emphasis should be placed on the physical fitness and physiological state of the average student currently undertaking compulsory education. This could be achieved by allocating an increased time for such timetabled activities.

Yeah, I missed a word out - that doesn't negate my actual argument. If it keeps being taught the competitive way it is, the people who are bad at it will get less enthusiastic for it. Heightened by junk food, the lack of sports facilities, and the lack of peaceful places to be able to have a quiet stroll without being pushed into and out of shops by frantic shoppers and/or tourists, it's lack of enthusiasm that stops PE working properly, not the amount of time it's taught for. Since you want to compare it to academic subjects... if a maths teacher thought his entire class was bored, they'd try to make it more interesting for them somehow... not force them to do more of the boring stuff. The opposite is true in PE.

NViasko
My solution doesn't work? That's your opinion.

This is what I mean by not addressing my point. I just explained in a post the size of yours why your solution doesn't work, and you've just refuted it in three words. :rolleyes: The rest of your post is taken up by "Most people hate PE lolol!".

NViasko
You're coming across as one of the kids who used to make up every excuse under the sun to try to avoid enduring in a PE lesson. And that's not a problem! There were a few (approx. 10%) of students in my PE class who tried to bunk off.

I don't make excuses at all, I just don't turn up. I think the teaching is poor and the amount they care about badminton players like me compared to rugby players is minimal. And if they ever once miss me from a badminton game, I'll tell them that. But they won't notice because they're not arsed.

NViasko
That's bloody *******s mate LOL :biggrin:

Thank you, I feel sufficiently reprimanded for having an opinion backed up by every single piece of evidence I've ever seen.

Now please stop replying, you're not saying anything useful, you're just repeating yourself.
Reply 69
generalebriety
Yeah, I missed a word out - that doesn't negate my actual argument. If it keeps being taught the competitive way it is, the people who are bad at it will get less enthusiastic for it. Heightened by junk food, the lack of sports facilities, and the lack of peaceful places to be able to have a quiet stroll without being pushed into and out of shops by frantic shoppers and/or tourists, it's lack of enthusiasm that stops PE working properly, not the amount of time it's taught for. Since you want to compare it to academic subjects... if a maths teacher thought his entire class was bored, they'd try to make it more interesting for them somehow... not force them to do more of the boring stuff. The opposite is true in PE.

This is what I mean by not addressing my point. I just explained in a post the size of yours why your solution doesn't work, and you've just refuted it in three words. :rolleyes: The rest of your post is taken up by "Most people hate PE lolol!".

I don't make excuses at all, I just don't turn up. I think the teaching is poor and the amount they care about badminton players like me compared to rugby players is minimal. And if they ever once miss me from a badminton game, I'll tell them that. But they won't notice because they're not arsed.

Thank you, I feel sufficiently reprimanded for having an opinion backed up by every single piece of evidence I've ever seen.

Now please stop replying, you're not saying anything useful, you're just repeating yourself.

You're on the wrong slant with little focus and keep side stepping my points. I spoke about more physical fitness being incorporated into the current system, not how unhappy and disastrous your PE lessons were. Or how lazy you are. Or how much ice cream you consume. I am not interested in your life stories.

I am deducing the outcome by means of proof equivalence via contradiction. You made the statement: "Most people hate PE" which is an absolute hideous assumption to make. You then put across that my (what you claim) solution is deemed "wrong". If anything is wrong it's
generalebriety
Most people hate PE
that statement right there baby.

Let me educate you with a little lesson in statistics. If the hypothesis was amended and the title was "7 out of 10 children express their distaste for PE" then it would deem a more appropriate source to provide a justification in this context. Unfortunately in this instance it isn't.

I will reply as much as I like, and you won't be able to do anything about it.
NViasko
You're on the wrong slant with little focus and keep side stepping my points. I spoke about more physical fitness being incorporated into the current system, not how unhappy and disastrous your PE lessons were. Or how lazy you are. Or how much ice cream you consume. I am not interested in your life stories.

I'm not lazy, and don't eat ice cream, because I've seen through it. I still don't want to do PE. I wouldn't do it if there was physical fitness incorporated more into it. I'd do it if they allowed me to play badminton, especially given that my school has the facilities to accommodate all sports at once, just the games staff don't trust us (even if we're all nearly 18 and the rest of the staff do), so they don't. I haven't dropped out of sport - I play it in school at badminton club. I just don't attend PE lessons.

NViasko
Let me educate you with a little lesson in statistics. If the hypothesis was amended and the title was "7 out of 10 children express their distaste for PE" then it would deem a more appropriate source to provide a justification in this context. Unfortunately in this instance it isn't.

7 out of 10 children drop out of sport. Given that in all public schools sport has to be made available to all pupils, what possible reason could there be (apart from 7/10 of the population being disabled and/or not in a public school) for not doing sport, unless you didn't like it?

NViasko
I will reply as much as I like, and you won't be able to do anything about it.

I could stop giving you stuff to reply to, and will do so if you keep insulting me. :rolleyes:
Reply 71
generalebriety
I'm not lazy, and don't eat ice cream, because I've seen through it. I still don't want to do PE. I wouldn't do it if there was physical fitness incorporated more into it. I'd do it if they allowed me to play badminton, especially given that my school has the facilities to accommodate all sports at once, just the games staff don't trust us (even if we're all nearly 18 and the rest of the staff do), so they don't. I haven't dropped out of sport - I play it in school at badminton club. I just don't attend PE lessons.

7 out of 10 children drop out of sport. Given that in all public schools sport has to be made available to all pupils, what possible reason could there be (apart from 7/10 of the population being disabled and/or not in a public school) for not doing sport, unless you didn't like it?

I could stop giving you stuff to reply to, and will do so if you keep insulting me. :rolleyes:

But if there was more flexibility within the structure to allow for such preferences, you may be more inclined to participate, which the government seems to have over looked. They should re-consider an alternative solution that meets the needs of the students' desires, so that targets are met and general health improves. Today's technological society tends to focus more on academia and standards, rather than health. Yet health is one of the most important aspects in life today.

I've already highlighted the inaccuracy and validity of the statistics. There are a variety of factors and reasons that have determined this particular outcome. I enjoyed certain aspects of sport, but was socialised into an ethic of pursuing other subjects. And because I endured in sport in extra-curricular activities.

I will stick to my primary and secondary points, and we can end this in a truce, if you are willing.
Reply 72
Apart from the rare occasions when we did a sport I enjoy like tennis or badminton, I would say that "hate" is a suitable verb for my opinion towards the subject. I spent most of the lessons wandering around trying to make it look like I was paying attention. I agree pretty much with generalebriety's points.

NViasko

Haha, I would definitely choose maths. :biggrin: Towards the end of Year 11, we were told (a couple of days before), that the whole year was going to do a cross-country, even though we didn't have a P.E. lesson then. :rolleyes: It was ridiculous making us miss most of the afternoon and, consequently, two proper subjects, just weeks before our GCSEs. I was considering hiding somewhere and doing work for some proper subjects (yes, probably maths :wink:) until I found out that they were keeping a record of who did it, and those who didn't would be forced to do it during a lunchtime (*******s). Though, of course, I ran faster to the remaining Physics lesson than I did through any of the cross-country. I also wrote a highly pretentious letter to the P.E. staff about it, although it remained undelivered - it contained some rather offensive suggestions.

And, from my experience, most people do, at least, dislike P.E.
Reply 73
Dystopia
Apart from the rare occasions when we did a sport I enjoy like tennis or badminton, I would say that "hate" is a suitable verb for my opinion towards the subject. I spent most of the lessons wandering around trying to make it look like I was paying attention. I agree pretty much with generalebriety's points.

Haha, I would definitely choose maths. :biggrin: Towards the end of Year 11, we were told (a couple of days before), that the whole year was going to do a cross-country, even though we didn't have a P.E. lesson then. :rolleyes: It was ridiculous making us miss most of the afternoon and, consequently, two proper subjects, just weeks before our GCSEs. I was considering hiding somewhere and doing work for some proper subjects (yes, probably maths :wink:) until I found out that they were keeping a record of who did it, and those who didn't would be forced to do it during a lunchtime (*******s). Though, of course, I ran faster to the remaining Physics lesson than I did through any of the cross-country. I also wrote a highly pretentious letter to the P.E. staff about it, although it remained undelivered - it contained some rather offensive suggestions.

Yes but you arn't the whole population are you?

Anyway, my main point was this.
NViasko
But if there was more flexibility within the structure to allow for such preferences, you may be more inclined to participate, which the government seems to have over looked. They should re-consider an alternative solution that meets the needs of the students' desires, so that targets are met and general health improves. Today's technological society tends to focus more on academia and standards, rather than health. Yet health is one of the most important aspects in life today.

Well, I agree with you - but PE as it is is not doing much, and introducing more "physical fitness" makes me think athletics, cross-country, weights, circuit training and the bleep test... whereas I don't want all that and the majority of people I know don't want that, they want to be able to play the sport or sports they like. If the government made this widening of choice mandatory for schools then I think you're right, interest would increase, but the way it's currently being run, it just wouldn't be possible. However, I still don't agree that even if you gave PE the same focus you gave maths it would help matters such as general unfitness and obesity in society - that's due to how much (and what) we eat, and how much we sit around doing nothing at home, not how much we're forced to exercise in a week.

I've already highlighted the inaccuracy and validity of the statistics. There are a variety of factors and reasons that have determined this particular outcome. I enjoyed certain aspects of sport, but was socialised into an ethic of pursuing other subjects. And because I endured in sport in extra-curricular activities.
Ok, but from my point of view, I enjoy certain academic subjects, but was forced to pursue sports that I didn't enjoy as well, as well as having badminton ruined for me several times (even though I get to play it rarely enough as it is) by people who decided to take over the sports hall in school with a football when that can be played outside, or with a tennis ball when they could do that on one of our school's 5 tennis course or so, which is selfish considering the amazing facilities we have... and it will continue to happen. The right attitude is not being adopted at the moment, I don't think.

NViasko
I will stick to my primary and secondary points, and we can end this in a truce, if you are willing.

Gladly.

Dystopia
Haha, I would definitely choose maths.:biggrin: Towards the end of Year 11, we were told (a couple of days before), that the whole year was going to do a cross-country, even though we didn't have a P.E. lesson then. :rolleyes: It was ridiculous making us miss most of the afternoon and, consequently, two proper subjects, just weeks before our GCSEs. I was considering hiding somewhere and doing work for some proper subjects (yes, probably maths :wink:) until I found out that they were keeping a record of who did it, and those who didn't would be forced to do it during a lunchtime (*******s). Though, of course, I ran faster to the remaining Physics lesson than I did through any of the cross-country. I also wrote a highly pretentious letter to the P.E. staff about it, although it remained undelivered - it contained some rather offensive suggestions.

Also my experiences. We were still forced to do PE before our GCSEs. I didn't though. And because I wasn't in the hockey or cricket teams my school didn't notice. :rolleyes: I'd actually prefer it if they did. Show that my sporting contribution was valued in some way...
Reply 75
I don't want to get dragged into this, but...

NViasko
Yes but you arn't the whole population are you?

Anyway, my main point was this.

I don't believe I ever claimed that I was the whole population. The assertion being made is that 'most people hate P.E.'; I was stating that, from my experience, this is probably true. Certainly, the evidence so far - numerous accounts from people on here - supports that far more than you constantly saying how ridiculous it is. But whatever, I don't really care, and we're all entitled to think what we like.

As for your main point, I don't think that would work either. I know how to be fit; I do not want to be patronised every single week with rubbish about suitable exercise or healthy food. You simply can't force people to be healthy.
Reply 76
Dystopia

I don't believe I ever claimed that I was the whole population. The assertion being made is that 'most people hate P.E.'; I was stating that, from my experience, this is probably true. Certainly, the evidence so far - numerous accounts from people on here - supports that far more than you constantly saying how ridiculous it is. But whatever, I don't really care, and we're all entitled to think what we like.

As for your main point, I don't think that would work either. I know how to be fit; I do not want to be patronised every single week with rubbish about suitable exercise or healthy food. You simply can't force people to be healthy.

You didn't, I did. It seems that those who have been belittled by their PE experience have jumped up and posted, seeing as it has affected them negatively, and those who enjoyed it probably don't care. Ask every 12 to 16 year old in the country what they would rather do out of Maths and PE.

As for my main point: I do.

Now shut up.
NViasko
You didn't, I did. It seems that those who have been belittled by their PE experience have jumped up and posted, seeing as it has affected them negatively, and those who enjoyed it probably don't care. Ask every 12 to 16 year old in the country what they would rather do out of Maths and PE.

As for my main point: I do.

Now shut up.

That was unnecessary.

Besides, maths outnumbers PE 3:1 so far, as far as this thread shows.
Reply 78
generalebriety
That was unnecessary.

Besides, maths outnumbers PE 3:1 so far, as far as this thread shows.

It was settling down until he opened his fat chops.

You can't generalise from this thread, and it doesn't represent the target population!
Dystopia

Nope...don't agree with you mate.
Actually you will find that individuals are forced to be healthy all the time, the Government does it in a paternalistic way, local schools do it all the time and so do local gyms:rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending