The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
NViasko
It was settling down until he opened his fat chops.

You can't generalise from this thread, and it doesn't represent the target population!

... wow, you really are a complete ****. I apologise if I was unaware of the unwritten rule that you are not permitted to comment on a thread unless mighty NViasko gives his consent.

I also think it's a little hypocritical of you to speak about generalising given that comment.

Unless you would like to conduct a formal survey, this thread is better evidence than you can produce... besides, it's not just the people posting in this thread; we've both used our experience of the matter. Out of everyone I know at my school (quite a lot of people), I would say that most people dislike, if not hate P.E.

Can we just stop? This clearly isn't going anyway.

Edit:

Sharp_Shooter
Nope...don't agree with you mate.
Actually you will find that individuals are forced to be healthy all the time, the Government does it in a paternalistic way, local schools do it all the time and so do local gyms:rolleyes:

My comments were only in reference to schools.

My point is that, within the school system, forcing people into exercise is simply not going to work. It's impossible for a number of reasons - there is clearly a major limitation to the amount of time that can be dedicated to the subject, and ideas like "teaching people how to be healthy", would, in my opinion, just be patronising and a waste of time. You think that if we force people to run around for two hours every week, and tell them that they should exercise more and eat less, they will miraculously become healthy? It will just create resentment. If someone is to become healthy, they need to want to become healthy. Whatever you do in school is going to be completely negated when they go back home, watch television all day, and eat fast food. :rolleyes:
[QUOTE=Dystopia
I also think it's a little hypocritical of you to speak about generalising given that comment.

To be fair, the boy NViasko has a point, you can't move from the specific to the general, its not a logical way of validating your point:rolleyes: its like me saying god exists because loads of people think he does-pointless:rolleyes:
Sharp_Shooter
To be fair, the boy NViasko has a point, you can't move from the specific to the general, its not a logical way of validating your point:rolleyes: its like me saying god exists because loads of people think he does-pointless:rolleyes:

Yeah... but loads of people on this thread and people we know have said the same things as us... and he's using the excuse "well people who back my argument up aren't interested in this thread". Is that more or less tenuous than our argument? We have some form of evidence, whereas he has his own opinion and excuses for why he has no evidence. No one has conclusive proof, but that doesn't stop us talking slightly less crap than him. :biggrin:
[QUOTE=Dystopia
My point is that, within the school system, forcing people into exercise is simply not going to work. It's impossible for a number of reasons - there is clearly a major limitation to the amount of time that can be dedicated to the subject, and ideas like "teaching people how to be healthy", would, in my opinion, just be patronising and a waste of time. You think that if we force people to run around for two hours every week, and tell them that they should exercise more and eat less, they will miraculously become healthy? It will just create resentment. If someone is to become healthy, they need to want to become healthy. Whatever you do in school is going to be completely negated when they go back home, watch television all day, and eat fast food. :rolleyes:

Same thing mate, most people don't wanna wear seatbelts but they usually end up doing so anyway even though it creates 'resentment':rolleyes: . Same line of argument applies in this case, we live in a world where certain individuals feel the need to be paternalistic, even though you don't wanna be healthy, legislation has a way of ensuring that you do become healthy.
generalebriety
Yeah... but loads of people on this thread and people we know have said the same things as us... and he's using the excuse "well people who back my argument up aren't interested in this thread". Is that more or less tenuous than our argument? We have some form of evidence, whereas he has his own opinion and excuses for why he has no evidence. No one has conclusive proof, but that doesn't stop us talking slightly less crap than him. :biggrin:

WTF:confused: just because you don't have 'conclusive proof' doesn't imply that you can quote random people ie 'people we know' to justify your argument, point still stands, you don't argue from the specific to the general:rolleyes:
Reply 85
Sharp_Shooter
Same thing mate, most people don't wanna wear seatbelts but they usually end up doing so anyway even though it creates 'resentment':rolleyes: . Same line of argument applies in this case, we live in a world where certain individuals feel the need to be paternalistic, even though you don't wanna be healthy, legislation has a way of ensuring that you do become healthy.

There is a great deal of difference between wearing seatbelts and being healthy so you analogy is meaningless. 'Being healthy' is not something you just do by clicking a button. My argument is that forcing someone to exercise for a couple of hours every week is insufficient to make them become healthy, because the rest of their lifestyle will remain just as unhealthy as before.
Sharp_Shooter
WTF:confused: just because you don't have 'conclusive proof' doesn't imply that you can quote random people ie 'people we know' to justify your argument, point still stands, you don't argue from the specific to the general:rolleyes:

I was talking about people I knew in general who have ever talked about PE to me, which in my school must be a hundred or so, since a lot of us end up doing it together, classes change, etc... now that might be very biased towards our school, fine, but most people in this thread agree too... and this statistic isn't irrefutable truth of what I'm saying on its own, but it certainly seems to back this up. I haven't just gone round and asked three fat people.
Dystopia
There is a great deal of difference between wearing seatbelts and being healthy so you analogy is meaningless. 'Being healthy' is not something you just do by clicking a button. My argument is that forcing someone to exercise for a couple of hours every week is insufficient to make them become healthy, because the rest of their lifestyle will remain just as unhealthy as before.

Are you kidding me? My point is the government, schools etc use paternalistic methods to 'force' individuals into staying healthy ie they know whats best for us. Same thing with seat belt laws, we need to wear them because its the 'best' thing for us to do, who decides what the best thing for us is? our paternalistic buddy the government/Schools/parents. Now what part of the analogy don't you understand?:rolleyes:
generalebriety
I was talking about people I knew in general who have ever talked about PE to me, which in my school must be a hundred or so, since a lot of us end up doing it together, classes change, etc... now that might be very biased towards our school, fine, but most people in this thread agree too... and this statistic isn't irrefutable truth of what I'm saying on its own, but it certainly seems to back this up. I haven't just gone round and asked three fat people.

Ok, i met a trump and his mate at the park the other day who holds an opinion contrary to yours, do their opinions count on this thread?:rolleyes: No, i don't think so
Reply 89
Sharp_Shooter
Are you kidding me? My point is the government, schools etc use paternalistic methods to 'force' individuals into staying healthy ie they know whats best for us. Same thing with seat belt laws, we need to wear them because its the 'best' thing for us to do, who decides what the best thing for us is? our paternalistic buddy the government/Schools/parents. Now what part of the analogy don't you understand?:rolleyes:

I felt that I explained my views perfectly well... let me put it another way: schools can force us into staying healthy, but it won't work.
I think it depends where you go. Around the area where I live it seems nearly all the kids are involved in all kinds of sports. The leisure centres are always full.
Reply 91
Dystopia
... wow, you really are a complete ****. I apologise if I was unaware of the unwritten rule that you are not permitted to comment on a thread unless mighty NViasko gives his consent.

Unless you would like to conduct a formal survey, this thread is better evidence than you can produce... besides, it's not just the people posting in this thread; we've both used our experience of the matter. Out of everyone I know at my school (quite a lot of people), I would say that most people dislike, if not hate P.E.

Can we just stop? This clearly isn't going anyway.

Edit:

Then don't get involved, dick head. It was all settling down nicely till you decided to open your flappers. Read the ****ing thread - I have raised my main points yet you continue to go on about this silly PE argument!

If you asked 12 to 16 year old kids what they would rather do out of Maths and PE, they would probably choose PE. Let's not forget, over 40 % of kids leave school with less than 5 pass grades in year 11. If I told the percentage of those who left with a Maths pass, you'd be suprised.

As for this thread, it doesn't mean ****. It cannot be generalised. How many times do I have to keep saying this? Do us a favour, and keep your mouth shut.
Dystopia
I felt that I explained my views perfectly well... let me put it another way: schools can force us into staying healthy, but it won't work.

No mate...you didn't explain your views perfectly well otherwise i wouldn't still be here:rolleyes: You seem to be waffling, making random inferences and jumping from point to point, settle down mate. And what makes you so certain it won't work.
Reply 93
stratomaster
I think it depends where you go. Around the area where I live it seems nearly all the kids are involved in all kinds of sports. The leisure centres are always full.

Kudos! :smile:
NViasko
Then don't get involved, dick head. It was all settling down nicely till you decided to open your flappers. Read the ****ing thread - I have raised my main points yet you continue to go on about this silly PE argument!

If you asked 12 to 16 year old kids what they would rather do out of Maths and PE, they would probably choose PE. Let's not forget, over 40 % of kids leave school with less than 5 pass grades in year 11. If I told the percentage of those who left with a Maths pass, you'd be suprised.

As for this thread, it doesn't mean ****. It cannot be generalised. How many times do I have to keep saying this? Do us a favour, and keep your mouth shut.

Oh for god's sake, calm down.
Reply 95
generalebriety

Hold on a second, you're the one that completely misinterpreted (and no, you wern't pissing about) my first post. You're the one that started this.
generalebriety
No, I think you wanted to say something profound about a healthy mind and a healthy body both being important. On the other hand, you just succeeded in saying that people who are good at maths are good at sport, which I suppose would now make me the "fittest" person in my school (being the only one who is applying for maths, and getting the best results out of my further maths class of three).

I shall take it as a compliment.

How is this not taking the piss? :confused:
stratomaster

:ditto:
generalebriety
How is this not taking the piss? :confused:

Look, if you can't come up with some valid arguments except nit-picking, may i suggest you stop posting at all:rolleyes:
Sharp_Shooter
Look, if you can't come up with some valid arguments except nit-picking, may i suggest you stop posting at all:rolleyes:

Er... you weren't here when the argument started, and it started because NViasko thought I was being deadly serious when I posted the above. I'm not trying to argue. I'm trying to shut you up. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending