The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
generalebriety
How is this not taking the piss? :confused:

Read what I said. You misinterpreted my first post.
generalebriety
Er... you weren't here when the argument started, and it started because NViasko thought I was being deadly serious when I posted the above. I'm not trying to argue. I'm trying to shut you up. :smile:

Really? or are you just too ashamed to admit defeat:rolleyes: Well, you can't expect to shut anyone up with flimsy arguments now can you:rolleyes:
Ho hum.
Sharp_Shooter
No mate...you didn't explain your views perfectly well otherwise i wouldn't still be here:rolleyes: You seem to be waffling, making random inferences and jumping from point to point, settle down mate. And what makes you so certain it won't work.

OK, I'm going to try my best to form the most cogent argument I can, and if that doesn't work I'll just give up.

Given that schools have to teach many subjects, of which P.E. is only one, and that time has to be spent getting changed, going to the sports field (or whatever), and preparing whatever needs to be prepared, it's unlikely that people will be able to do more than two hours of actual exercise every week. That would be with three P.E. lessons a week, which is how many maths lessons I had.

This would burn maybe 1000 calories; perhaps a little more. That works out as less than 150 calories per day. That's less than in a single packet of crisps.

Just because you force people to run around for a bit, they are not going to change the rest of their lifestyle, and so all that effort is immediately negated when they decide to have a quick snack on the way home from school, or whatever. Ergo, schools cannot feasibly force people to become healthy unless they completely stop teaching us about maths, science, english and so on; at which point they would cease being schools.

Also, forcing people to do exercise is going to create resentment, so they are less likely to do exercise outside of school.

I don't think ideas like teaching people how to be healthy or how sport is good for you will be effective; if I had to undergo something like that, I would consider it incredibly patronising.
Dystopia
OK, I'm going to try my best to form the most cogent argument I can, and if that doesn't work I'll just give up.

Given that schools have to teach many subjects, of which P.E. is only one, and that time has to be spent getting changed, going to the sports field (or whatever), and preparing whatever needs to be prepared, it's unlikely that people will be able to do more than two hours of actual exercise every week. That would be with three P.E. lessons a week, which is how many maths lessons I had.

This would burn maybe 1000 calories; perhaps a little more. That works out as less than 150 calories per day. That's less than in a single packet of crisps.

Just because you force people to run around for a bit, they are not going to change the rest of their lifestyle, and so all that effort is immediately negated when they decide to have a quick snack on the way home from school, or whatever. Ergo, schools cannot feasibly force people to become healthy unless they completely stop teaching us about maths, science, english and so on; at which point they would cease being schools.

Also, forcing people to do exercise is going to create resentment, so they are less likely to do exercise outside of school.

I don't think ideas like teaching people how to be healthy or how sport is good for you will be effective; if I had to undergo something like that, I would consider it incredibly patronising.

Look yeah, schools have been teaching P.E and healthy eating since **** knows when, and who gives a **** about whether individuals exercise out of school, you can only do so much exercise per day/week. If it wasn't working, i think schools/government would have stopped 'forcing' people by now:rolleyes:
Sharp_Shooter
who gives a **** about whether individuals exercise out of school

I would say it's quite important...

Sharp_Shooter
If it wasn't working, i think schools/government would have stopped 'forcing' people by now:rolleyes:

You aren't seriously suggesting that the current system is anything but a failure? I know statistics can be misleading at times, but they're certainly not complete lies (or damn lies, for that matter :wink:). Children are more overweight than they have ever been.
Sharp_Shooter
If it wasn't working, i think schools/government would have stopped 'forcing' people by now:rolleyes:

The government forces people because the first prime minister we elect that says "nah, it's ok, the kids can do as little exercise as they want" will be killed by furious parents. We need people to change their lifestyles. As Dystopia says, you burn nothing off by doing a couple of hours' running round a week, especially if you don't want to do it (and as I've mentioned countless times, 40 minutes is usually the maximum you get). If you don't want to do it you do it half-heartedly which is even worse. However if you're enthusiastic about it you don't need to do it in school and you'll eat more healthily than that bag of crisps you need to replace lost energy every time you do PE.

My school's clever. It puts the vending machines right outside the sports hall.
Reply 107
I got put off football from my old school because there was ignorant chavs who not only picked me last, but never passed to me (I was skillful @ footy, so what was the problem) but since my school was in a chavvy, working class area I guess it's partly racism.

Also our sports facilities were crap too, the gym smelt of urine and the rackets/posts/balls we had were not of a playable standard.

So then I just did exercise at home and in the park with friends but I still missed out on PE because no matter how hard I tried to enjoy it it never came naturally and wasn't worth it.

Also when it comes to sports, people forget its a game and become so serious & competitive that if you make one mistake they don't miss the chance to abuse you.
Reply 108
I always hated PE and would really dread the lessons. It wasnt the idea of exercise that i hated, but having to take part in team sports which some people would take too seriously, and which always resulted in bullying for us less sportily able folks. If my school had given us the option of doing things like yoga or aerobics, that didnt involve working as a team it would have been a lot less traumatic.
Reply 109
True, since teamwork does promote selfishness in a way ''oo we're better than you'' or ''we've got X on our team''.

Also the burden of becoming a scapegoat ''we lost because of you!''

And if you're really unlucky - you're on the subs bench but never get off it :frown:
Reply 110
Also weather is a factor too, it's sunny in France innit? The weather in Britain is unpredictable.

Most people enjoy exercise on nice sunny days, not on rainy/cold days where when they come home they are 95% covered in mud.
Carl1982
Big issue in todays newspapers is that latest figures show that 7 out of 10 children will stop taking part in sport after or during school.

Around 360,000 of them will never exercise after finishing school.

Not great considering we need a new bread of youngsters with the Olympic Games of 2012 being held in the UK.

I can remember back at school i used to love doing P.E but yet in a class of say 25, 6 or 7 came out with an excuse they couldn't do it and as the years went more and more we're simply not taking part.

How many of you still take part in sport after you left school, how many of you dropped out, was it a bad experience? or did you just not like sport or P.E.

Why do so few people play sport in the UK, is it lack of money from the government, should joining a sports club be made compulsory.

Whats your views on this whole issue?

Exercise doesn't have to equal "sport". Up until very recently, I'd do a two hour walk every day (circumstances have changed - it's bloody hot, and I've actually got employment), but that isn't "sport".

Joining a sports club should absolutely not be made compulsory - that suggestion is paternalistic insanity that completely destroys any meaningful conception of freedom. It would also mean the bullying arseholes who made up for their intellectual lack-of-ability through sport - as if that's some kind of meaningful compensation for stupidity - would get mandatory funding (either directly or through taxation) from people like me who think they should all go to hell.

I like to get exercise, but I don't like being shackled together with people who's idea of a fun time is to continually test Newton's laws of motions with a variety of spherical objects.

As for the new "bread" of youngsters? Why specifically for the London 2012 games? This is an argument brought up by supporters of the Olympics - that the mere presence of the Olympics in a city helps those in that city to become more interested or able at playing sport. How? Are the 14-year-old inner city kids going to be competing in the Games? Are they even going to be able to get tickets when so many of them go to the Olympics' corporate sponsors? If not, the presence of the Olympics is going to be brought to them by television - so it doesn't really matter where they have it. If you want to improve the opportunities for inner city kids, spend the £3bn that's going to be spent on the Olympics on improving libraries and housing and schools - something that may actually have a lasting impact beyond the fortnight that the Olympics lasts.

I'm fed up of people breathlessly advocating sports as if it's some kind of cure-all. Some people enjoy sports - both watching it and playing it - and some of us despise the whole enterprise. I'm fed up with the BBC spending hundreds of thousands of pounds each year trying to by television rights for various sporting events. It doesn't "educate, entertain or inform" - it's just a bunch of guys running around a field kicking a damn ball. Yes, we'll get exercise, but we don't have to be forced to do your chosen type of exercise - we'll do our own, with our brains clear to think about what we want to think about.

Do the paternalists who want to force yet another health measure down our throats actually realise that the "sinners" in this country - the obese, the smokers, drinkers, drug takers and so on - know it's bad for us. We all know that if we eat a whole box of doughnuts, smoke twenty ciggies and drink a whole bottle of whiskey, it's not good for us. We do it because we like it.

And the more you warn us about it, the more we're going to do it - just to spite you paternalistic freaks. You increase the size of the cigarette warning labels to 98% of the carton? We'll buy them abroad and smoke twice as much. You warn us about the excessive sugar content in our snacks? We'll douse them with a bit more. We are going to continue having unhealthy lifestyles until you STFU and leave us in peace, you moralising tossers. Just because Catholicism is near enough gone, doesn't mean we have to recreate it and do Hail Mary's to clear out the tobacco, alcohol and trans fats from our consciences.
tommorris

And the more you warn us about it, the more we're going to do it - just to spite you paternalistic freaks. You increase the size of the cigarette warning labels to 98% of the carton? We'll buy them abroad and smoke twice as much. You warn us about the excessive sugar content in our snacks? We'll douse them with a bit more. We are going to continue having unhealthy lifestyles until you STFU and leave us in peace, you moralising tossers. Just because Catholicism is near enough gone, doesn't mean we have to recreate it and do Hail Mary's to clear out the tobacco, alcohol and trans fats from our consciences.

Settle down buddy, no need to get yourself in a huff:wink: I understand your point of view but you're directing your shots at the wrong audience mate, what you're doing is simply reiterating feelings that have already been expressed by your peers...me thinks you should write to the Newspaper editor with your views mate, at least that way you'll be getting somewhere.
Reply 113
Those lessons were constant bullying and being left at the side. The bullying not least by the teacher, who actually locked me in the changing room for an hour once

I agree the teachers could be horrible, thank god none of mine actually locked me in a changing room, but they had such a habit of forcing me into groups of people they knew I hated (and who hated me) and so much yelling of 'For god's sake put some effort into it!'.
tommorris
And the fact that you can get an A-level in it - that devalues the academic "gold standard" just a little, methinks.

I'm not sure about that. As an A-level there's actually a bunch of theory stuff isn't there. I don't think it's any different at that level than for example an A-level in music: a course with both theoretical and practical elements. Having said that I hated PE lessons just as much as everyone else and agree with pretty much everything said. My point being that if someone chooses to run around in a field, fine, but you don't see people making out like there's some national crisis because kids aren't doing enough art in school do you?
Not Dead Yet
I'm not sure about that. As an A-level there's actually a bunch of theory stuff isn't there. I don't think it's any different at that level than for example an A-level in music: a course with both theoretical and practical elements. Having said that I hated PE lessons just as much as everyone else and agree with pretty much everything said. My point being that if someone chooses to run around in a field, fine, but you don't see people making out like there's some national crisis because kids aren't doing enough art in school do you?

Absolutely. Art and music, though, have a place in the life of the mind in the way that "ruggers" et al. doesn't. Everyone's concerned about obesity, but I'd rather have a nation of statistically overweight people who are smart enough not to get taken in by the lies of politicians and journalists and all the other BS merchants out there.
I think sometimes the culture of sport in our country is wrong.

i am one of the "drop outs" who hasnt done any since school

and my main reasons for not doing it at uni are...1) the 'drinking' culture of the football and rugby teams...dont get me wrong, i like getting really drunk with my freinds (both home and at uni) but would absolutely HATE the atmosphere of having to down shots, being called all sorts if you didnt go to the 'social' and the way that these socials are arranged weekly, so you are forced to spend hours with people who you may not really like, everyweek...otherwise you are outcast.

so in summary..i probably would go to my unis 'C team' to play football or rugby...its just thats all i want to do, not get forced to drink alcohol (such as 'dirty pints') etc and this happens at lots of places, not just my uni.

2) is the way that in this country there is a tendency to have a "if their not good at it, they cant play" attitude...such as many schools/unis etc only have 1 team...when they could easily have say 4 teams, with the 4th team not being that great...but just wanting to have some excercise everynow and again.

also the lack of facilities is an issue, im not particulalry 'hard up' but cannot afford a gym as a student (David Lloyd is £48 a month for starters) and there is a distinct lack of 'council owned' sports centres...apart from swimming pools.
xemmajanex
But PE up to Year 9 was horrible - we had to wear these "gym knickers" (basically navy blue knickers) for gymnastics with nothing over the top! The rest of the time we wore PE kilts, which weren't much better as they always used to blow back in the wind when we did cross country etc... (btw I went to an all-girls school in case you were wondering!)

You had it easy! At my school, girls had to wear those knickers for PE, gymnastics, track and field, cross country and volleyball. We only got to wear wraparound skirts (which would blow up like yours) for netball and hockey. And this was at a mixed school...:eek:
i think also if you went to a school which was simply dominated by 1 sport, i mean my school was mostly rugby rugby and more rugby i really got sick of it and i simply did not try in that particular sport, but when it was athletics i was so glad when that came round.
The problem with sport in schools is that the people who are not so good at it and those who dont want to do it are singled out when playing team sports and made fun of which is wrong.

I personally hated team sports but loved the athletic sports which werent team work. Even though is still had the p*** taken out of me.

Since leaving scholl i have become a very fit and athletic person as i have learned to build my confidence myself.

I think people should try and speak up and stand up to the teachers who not only allow this but join in.

No one deserves it at all, who ever they may be.

Latest

Trending

Trending