The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Irrelevance
Varies from uni to uni, I imagine. I only have one module on therapeutics but, as the degree advertises, mainly chemistry chemistry as opposed to biochemistry. What field are you planning on going into after uni?

Well, throughout my secondary school studies I've always enjoyed Chemistry and that is why I'm choosing to do it at Uni. Well the uni I'm looking to go to is strathclyde or glasgow uni to study Chemistry. The thing is Medicinal Chemistry sounds pretty cool to me for some strange reason and the idea of designing/creating medicine in industry seems really interesting to me. What I need is just some more information about it.

Also Forensic Chemistry is interesting to me too with analysing crime scenes and the idea of being a forensic scientist seems a good field for me to in, but my family/friends have said there's not really any prospects at the moment for such a career and that has hampered my choices, so that's why i'm Looking to Medicinal Chemistry.
EierVonSatan
You'll probably find that the biological aspects will come later and the grounding in chemistry is at the start of the course. I had no biology in the first year at all.

What if you've never done biology at all, I've always done Physics alongside Chemistry in school.
Z_Ahmed
Well, throughout my secondary school studies I've always enjoyed Chemistry and that is why I'm choosing to do it at Uni. Well the uni I'm looking to go to is strathclyde or glasgow uni to study Chemistry. The thing is Medicinal Chemistry sounds pretty cool to me for some strange reason and the idea of designing/creating medicine in industry seems really interesting to me. What I need is just some more information about it.

Also Forensic Chemistry is interesting to me too with analysing crime scenes and the idea of being a forensic scientist seems a good field for me to in, but my family/friends have said there's not really any prospects at the moment for such a career and that has hampered my choices, so that's why i'm Looking to Medicinal Chemistry.

Another course you might want to look into is Pharmaceutical Science. It's a very niche course and I don't think many uni's offer it but it's interesting and quite fun, if you ask me. The dosage form stuff makes you suicidal but once you're past that, it's all good.

I think Forensic Chemistry might be more analytical than doing actual Forensics. My flatmate does Forensic Science (currently second year) and she has to learn how to take photographs of crime scenes properly and stuff like that. She also mentioned there aren't any jobs going around too so I can say that's definitely true.
Irrelevance
Ah right, cheers EVS. I did a different course last year so did some biology in that anyway. Did you do a Therapeutics/Pharmacology-esque module too?

2nd year - Intro to med chem (CNS, receptors, enzyme targets, SARs etc), biological chemistry (DNA, RNA, protein synthesis etc.)

3rd year - Molecular Pharmacology (drug design, pharmacokinetics, biotech techniques, lots and lots of bio-active drugs), Enzymes and Natural product biosynthesis (very tough enzyme and biochemical mechanisms - one of the toughest modules in my degree)

4th year - Advanced med chem (more DNA and peptidoglycan synthesis/related drugs)
Irrelevance
Another course you might want to look into is Pharmaceutical Science. It's a very niche course and I don't think many uni's offer it but it's interesting and quite fun, if you ask me. The dosage form stuff makes you suicidal but once you're past that, it's all good.

I think Forensic Chemistry might be more analytical than doing actual Forensics. My flatmate does Forensic Science (currently second year) and she has to learn how to take photographs of crime scenes properly and stuff like that. She also mentioned there aren't any jobs going around too so I can say that's definitely true.

Oh okay, cool. Though all the chemistry degree's are flexible in how they start off at first year, and you can make a decision in second year to what field you want to do. It say's in first year you can do Chemistry with two other subjects.

If i do Chemistry, Biology and Maths in first year , Will i be taught Biology from an introductory level. Thanks.
EierVonSatan
2nd year - Intro to med chem (CNS, receptors, enzyme targets, SARs etc), biological chemistry (DNA, RNA, protein synthesis etc.)

3rd year - Molecular Pharmacology (drug design, pharmacokinetics, biotech techniques, lots and lots of bio-active drugs), Enzymes and Natural product biosynthesis (very tough enzyme and biochemical mechanisms - one of the toughest modules in my degree)

4th year - Advanced med chem (more DNA and peptidoglycan synthesis/related drugs)

Did you do analytical techniques at any point? Like, NMR, Mass Spec etc?
Z_Ahmed
What if you've never done biology at all, I've always done Physics alongside Chemistry in school.

You will find it a bit tough to start with, but the principles arn't that difficult to pick up. Having a good memory will help you a lot.
Irrelevance
Did you do analytical techniques at any point? Like, NMR, Mass Spec etc?

Of course :yep: Two modules worth, one in second year and the other in the third year.
Z_Ahmed
Oh okay, cool. Though all the chemistry degree's are flexible in how they start off at first year, and you can make a decision in second year to what field you want to do. It say's in first year you can do Chemistry with two other subjects.

If i do Chemistry, Biology and Maths in first year , Will i be taught Biology from an introductory level. Thanks.

Yup, that's right. Loads of people moved around after first year.

Not too sure how these extra fields work but I'm sure your uni will start at A-level standard biology to recap and then expand on that during lectures. For example, you learn about receptors at A-Level, at degree level, they specify the different kind of receptors.
EierVonSatan
Of course :yep: Two modules worth, one in second year and the other in the third year.

Ah, kk. I thought they were making us go through Interpretative Spectroscopy for the lulz. :sigh:
Reply 1790
I could theoretically have avoided doing any organic spectroscopy in exams, if I'd picked my questions properly. Oxford ftw.
Hi, new here, so thought i'd say hi :wave:

Im 18, doing A2 and studying Chemistry (:woo: ), Physics and Biology!!

Hoping to do a MChem or BSc next year.
UndercoverChemist
Hi, new here, so thought i'd say hi

Im 18, doing A2 and studying Chemistry ( ), Physics and Biology!!

Hoping to do a MChem or BSc next year.

Howdy :top2:

Always try to get on the MChem/MSci over the BSc. It's easier to move down rather than up and saves you some hassle with the SLC :yep:
Z_Ahmed

im applying to do medicinal chemistry at ggow and at strathclyde - drug discovery.
at ggow you do both biology and chemistry, in a biochemistry sense, but it is a bit more chemsitry based as is a Mchem degree.
have you looked at st andrews?
they have the best in scotland for it.

ive been told that you should do a degree which interests you, not because of the job climate atm, as research isnt funded as much as it will be after the recession!

hows your statement going?
HannahLithgow43
im applying to do medicinal chemistry at ggow and at strathclyde - drug discovery.
at ggow you do both biology and chemistry, in a biochemistry sense, but it is a bit more chemsitry based as is a Mchem degree.
have you looked at st andrews?
they have the best in scotland for it.

ive been told that you should do a degree which interests you, not because of the job climate atm, as research isnt funded as much as it will be after the recession!

hows your statement going?

Hiya. Interesting to see that a couple of your choices match mine, I'm also applying to Pharmacy at strathclyde with Chemistry with drug discovery as a back up. Medicinal Chemistry at Glasgow.

I've looked at St.Andrews and it seems a good place for me to and study, but there is a problem. I live in Glasgow and St Andrews is like an hour and a half away from me, so hence my parents don't want me going to a uni which isn't local ( yeah asian parents can be overprotective and restrictive). So basically Glasgow and Strathclyde are my only main options.

I am so regretting not doing biology with chemistry through my school years, having done physics with chemistry. Ahh, it's too late to change now. Guess I'll have to self-teach myself biology.

I've written a first draft of my PS and handed it into my guidance teacher, tommorow I'll get some feedback on it. I've just written a general PS at my first attempt, not really dedicated to anything. Though in my redrafts I'll be focusing on the specific medicine aspect of chemistry.

Amazing grades, btw.
Z_Ahmed
Hiya. Interesting to see that a couple of your choices match mine, I'm also applying to Pharmacy at strathclyde with Chemistry with drug discovery as a back up. Medicinal Chemistry at Glasgow.

I've looked at St.Andrews and it seems a good place for me to and study, but there is a problem. I live in Glasgow and St Andrews is like an hour and a half away from me, so hence my parents don't want me going to a uni which isn't local ( yeah asian parents can be overprotective and restrictive). So basically Glasgow and Strathclyde are my only main options.

I am so regretting not doing biology with chemistry through my school years, having done physics with chemistry. Ahh, it's too late to change now. Guess I'll have to self-teach myself biology.

I've written a first draft of my PS and handed it into my guidance teacher, tommorow I'll get some feedback on it. I've just written a general PS at my first attempt, not really dedicated to anything. Though in my redrafts I'll be focusing on the specific medicine aspect of chemistry.

Amazing grades, btw.

i wouldnt worry too much about the biology, its easy enough to pick up, its just learning facts and stuff like that,
and everyone says its the easiest science anyway.

id recommend getting some SG and higher books
(like out the library or something dont waste too much money on it!)
and have a look, but dont freak out too much, youll be taught well at uni.

thanks, i wanted to do medicine (so thats why i got the grades i did)
but relised i like the medicine of medicine but not the blood.
i hate blood.
hence the change to medicinal chemistry.
the only problem is i dropped AH chemistry, cos im ill alot (ill today actually, why im not at school) and it was too much work
so hoping that doesnt slim my chances of getting in....:confused:

yeah ive not decided whether i want to pharmacy or just a Mchem degree, bit confused tbh:eek3: . but my PS relvoves around medical science,
and id like to work for myself oneday, like manage a business in pharmaceuticals, so thats why im veering towards the Mchem
(my fifth place is at strathclyde but need to decide on pharmacy or drug discovery)
its kind of annoying how there is only 2 scottish pharmacy schools, it makes writing the PS so much harder...

well thats a shame; st andrews is far away though, im not too sure where i want to go. i like the sounds of ggow but i want to progress into phd so need to find out wheres best for that (after my application, too much work atm :yep: )
EierVonSatan
Way, way, way too early to start worrying about PhD choices!

i know right!
my teacher said that i should do i degree which could lead to getting a phd.
and he was talking about the masters and phd together talking about research grants (i wasnt fully listening to be honest)
but said i should choose a uni based on whether i want to go to it and the chances of being able to get a phd.
EierVonSatan
So pretty much any degree then? :p:

You can move universtiy for a PhD after you get your degree (in fact the majority do move). It's a bit different at postgrad level as it's more about who you work for not where you go. Just make sure you get a 2:1 for funding purposes :smile:

thats wat i sed!
he was like no no some universities blah blah blah more about research
i was like thats great, thanks :smile:
ill go where i want:wink:

ok, ill remeber the 2.1 thing :smile:
phew, thats a load of my mind, he was like phone up the universities and find out about the postgrad opportunities, i was like emm, ok :confused:
HannahLithgow43

thanks, i wanted to do medicine (so thats why i got the grades i did)
but relised i like the medicine of medicine but not the blood.
i hate blood.
hence the change to medicinal chemistry.
the only problem is i dropped AH chemistry, cos im ill alot (ill today actually, why im not at school) and it was too much work
so hoping that doesnt slim my chances of getting in....:confused:

yeah ive not decided whether i want to pharmacy or just a Mchem degree, bit confused tbh:eek3: . but my PS relvoves around medical science,
and id like to work for myself oneday, like manage a business in pharmaceuticals, so thats why im veering towards the Mchem
(my fifth place is at strathclyde but need to decide on pharmacy or drug discovery)
its kind of annoying how there is only 2 scottish pharmacy schools, it makes writing the PS so much harder...

Same, I can't pick another uni which does Pharmacy because they're all bloody too far away lol ( my parents wont allow me to go to Robort Gordon Uni) ,
this will make my PS more generalised rather than dedicated, since I have to make sure I get offers for the chemistry degrees too. Well, It's a shame you can't do AH Chemistry ( hope you get better soon) If you enjoy chemistry, AH from the unit 1 seems so interesting, and the idea of a personal project makes me excited of conducting my own investigation.

With an A at higher, I don't think you'll have any problems since AH is just same as stuff you'll be taught at UNI. Although for Pharmacy AH is recommended but not essential.

Are you doing any other Advanced Highers?
Z_Ahmed
Same, I can't pick another uni which does Pharmacy because they're all bloody too far away lol ( my parents wont allow me to go to Robort Gordon Uni) ,
this will make my PS more generalised rather than dedicated, since I have to make sure I get offers for the chemistry degrees too. Well, It's a shame you can't do AH Chemistry ( hope you get better soon) If you enjoy chemistry, AH from the unit 1 seems so interesting, and the idea of a personal project makes me excited of conducting my own investigation.

With an A at higher, I don't think you'll have any problems since AH is just same as stuff you'll be taught at UNI. Although for Pharmacy AH is recommended but not essential.

Are you doing any other Advanced Highers?

yeah, i spoke to the unis, they said it would be better for me to take it, but will get an unconditional anyway.

yeah, im doing biology - because i can teach myself it at home quite easily (whereas chemistry is a mixture of chemistry and physics and ive only started to learn physics - crashing it)
and i get to do a project in that too
plus theres alot of biochemostry this year - so should help me next year.

what you doing this year?

Latest