The Student Room Group

History and Politics at Sheffield or East Anglia?

I have offers to do history & politics at both: AAB (A in history) for Sheffield and ABB for UEA.

I'm torn between the two but currently swaying towards Sheffield, which is always the place I said I wanted to go before I gave it real proper thought.

I have a minor personal reason for not wanting to go to UEA, but it isn’t something really important that would significantly affect my time there.
I’m trying to weigh the pros and cons of each university, and currently have:

Sheffield:
+ Better rep (?) especially for politics
+Nicer accommodation as far as I can see
+ Nice city
- Higher entry requirements that might put more pressure on me during my exams
+ I like the course and really like the university overall at an open day in the summer

UEA:
+ Really gorgeous, historic city
+ Great course especially for history (dare I say better than Sheffield?)
+ Friendly campus
+ Lower entry requirements
+Great student satisfaction
- Ugly campus itself, and I didn’t like the accommodation as much as Sheffield

Does anybody have any advice or opinion to help me? Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by tinhat
I have offers to do history & politics at both: AAB (A in history) for Sheffield and ABB for UEA.

I'm torn between the two but currently swaying towards Sheffield, which is always the place I said I wanted to go before I gave it real proper thought.

I have a minor personal reason for not wanting to go to UEA, but it isn’t something really important that would significantly affect my time there.
I’m trying to weigh the pros and cons of each university, and currently have:

Sheffield:
+ Better rep (?) especially for politics
+Nicer accommodation as far as I can see
+ Nice city
- Higher entry requirements that might put more pressure on me during my exams
+ I like the course and really like the university overall at an open day in the summer

UEA:
+ Really gorgeous, historic city
+ Great course especially for history (dare I say better than Sheffield?)
+ Friendly campus
+ Lower entry requirements
+Great student satisfaction
- Ugly campus itself, and I didn’t like the accommodation as much as Sheffield

Does anybody have any advice or opinion to help me? Thanks.

Can't you put Sheffield as your firm and UEA as your insurance?
Always go for the course that will interest you the most - because its this that will keep you going through three years of study, and will mean you enjoy the course, and that is what will lead to a higher degree classification.

Don't get blinded by League Tables, 'reputation' or any of that nebulous nonsense. It really is no way to choose a Uni course. Both of these Unis are 'good' - that is all you need to consider. 'Entry requirements' mean nothing - its just marketing and brinkmanship. It certainly doesnt mean one course is 'better' than another.

Lots of advice here about making Firm & Insurance choices - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/firm_and_insurance_choices

PS. UEA campus is a bit 'concrete' but is is one of the nicest campus Unis and has a fantastic community feel. Don't be put off by the architecture!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending