The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature LITA3: Love Through the Ages, 6 June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by The Nightingale
I do the following plan (it has never failed to get me top grades - touch wood - but I think now that I'm doing timed conditions it's tricky to get it all in!)

Thesis: what are the texts ultimately saying?
Introduction (typically introduce with a critical quotation that sometimes challenges the central theme.)
Language 2-3 points of comparison
Perspective - 1 point of comparison
Form - 2-3 points
Structure - 2-3 points
Social/historical context: social circumstances, genre, time, gender of author.
Conclude

Wow your plans look longer than mine !

I do Point Example Explanation for Language --> leading onto my wider reading, then one for Form and one for Structure
(When I say one I mean one PEE for each text)

I think that if I write more quickly, I should be able to do it

It's sooo annoying trying to stick to such a tight time limit, if we get two prose extracts that will be even worse because their normally the longest to read.
What's the best way to structure an opening for question one and question two? I never really know how to structure it and any help would be much appreciated :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by cfath123
What's the best way to structure an opening for question one and question two? I never really know how to structure it and any help would be much appreciated :smile:

Dont bother with openings aint nobody got time for that !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone got any quotes for unrequited love? I am really lacking in this area!
Reply 24
Original post by ShaunaLaurenRose
Has anyone got any quotes for unrequited love? I am really lacking in this area!

Well for Prose :
Goethe - sorrows of young Werther
"I love her so intensley so completely. Grasp nothing, know nothing, have nothing but her !

Persuasion - Austen
A heart even more your own, than when you first broke it

Drama
A midsummers night dream
Love looks with the eyes and not with the mind

If want a summary of each piece and some analysis just holla (im on my phone)

Did my first exam paper within the time limits today ! If it helps I was able to do 2 sides of A4 consistently 3 and a half at a push

Poetry
Amoretti - spenser
My love is like to ice and I to fire

Posted from TSR Mobile
How have you divided your wider reading quotes into themes? I'm struggling trying to think which themes I need to cover since really anything could come up. So far I've got themes such as power of love, definition of love/true love, obsessive love, unrequited love, love affairs/betrayals, familial love, marriage, lust/seduction, forbidden love, break ups and separation. I'm not sure if I've got too many themes or if I haven't got enough. I also haven't organised them all into themes yet so I'm left with gaps where I realise I might not have quotes which go with a certain themes in a drama or something.

How has everyone else organised it and have they found quotes covering all themes?
Reply 26
Original post by Rlove95
How have you divided your wider reading quotes into themes? I'm struggling trying to think which themes I need to cover since really anything could come up. So far I've got themes such as power of love, definition of love/true love, obsessive love, unrequited love, love affairs/betrayals, familial love, marriage, lust/seduction, forbidden love, break ups and separation. I'm not sure if I've got too many themes or if I haven't got enough. I also haven't organised them all into themes yet so I'm left with gaps where I realise I might not have quotes which go with a certain themes in a drama or something.

How has everyone else organised it and have they found quotes covering all themes?

Ive got Romantic love, obssession, passion, death of a loved, unrequited love, friendship, family love, immoral love and one quote for freedom through love

Ive organised mine via genre, and then into the sub topic of theme

Eg. All my prose wider reading is together but then I have the different books under a certain theme

It makes it alot easier to relate my WR to the extracts in the exam this way, just find the themes in the extract then relate it to WR from that theme

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
How many quotes are you memorising? I'm hoping a description of wider reading could be enough to enter the top band... 3 genres, a million themes, and various time periods - my memory does not stretch that far :frown: :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I'm SO nervous for this exam. I don't feel at all prepared and I'm not sure what revision I can do?!?! Anyone have any tips? :/

No one else seems to have studied the texts that I've studied either? I've read The Collector, The Bloody Chamber, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and a ton of poetry (about 40 poems). I'm trying to gather quotes for each theme that could possibly come up but I'm struggling a bit - especially in reference to romantic/passionate love and stuff in my prose. There's NO WAY that I can remember that much information/quotes - is it possible to get a good grade (B) with references to wider reading without quotes? (I'll obviously try to use quotes)

Also, anyone have any website which look at terminology/techniques? I think it would come in handy for analyzing the unseen texts as this isn't my strong point.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Nightingale
I do the following plan (it has never failed to get me top grades - touch wood - but I think now that I'm doing timed conditions it's tricky to get it all in!)

Thesis: what are the texts ultimately saying?
Introduction (typically introduce with a critical quotation that sometimes challenges the central theme.)
Language 2-3 points of comparison
Perspective - 1 point of comparison
Form - 2-3 points
Structure - 2-3 points
Social/historical context: social circumstances, genre, time, gender of author.
Conclude

Hi, just a few questions if that's ok. What do you mean by "perspective"? As in what do you write there?
And also what do you mean by "include a critical quotation" - is this from wider reading or one in the extracts?

Thank you
Do you incorporate the wider reading stuff within those points? Or would you do wider reading as a separate paragraph? (This is something I've always been unsure about) and do you need quotes from wider reading or not?
I have found that reading through the examiner's reports and noting down little tips as they say 'successful students did this'. They are mostly the same every year but this is a link to the one from the January 2012 paper.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-LITA3-WRE-JAN12.PDF

Good Luck!!
Reply 32
Original post by Beccakate96
Do you incorporate the wider reading stuff within those points? Or would you do wider reading as a separate paragraph? (This is something I've always been unsure about) and do you need quotes from wider reading or not?

Dont need to include quotes, but I prefer to.

I do it as a separate paragraph sometimes but I prefer to have it in the main essay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33

This is something I've also been stuck on for a while, i've always briefly incorporated the wider reading throughout and then done three separate paragraphs at the end for more detailed wider reading analysis and I've always achieved top grades, but I'm still not sure if this is the right way to do it?
Original post by Young Hot Stalin
Hi, just a few questions if that's ok. What do you mean by "perspective"? As in what do you write there?
And also what do you mean by "include a critical quotation" - is this from wider reading or one in the extracts?

Thank you

Perspective as in - is it first-person, third-person omniscient -? I'll give you a quick example from an essay I did which compared Christina Rossetti's Remember with Auden's Funeral Blues:

'The first-person perspective of the poems, indicated by use of personal pronouns ‘I’, ‘You’ and ‘Me’ give a sense of verisimilitude, although again Funeral Blues may be said to appear more reliable due to its humanistic foundations. '

By a critical quotation, I've memorised 7-8 quotations from critics which I found on the internet about love through the ages, mostly using google books. They are fairly general, but may be useful to slot in here and there. For grief, I have one from C.S. Lewis for example that goes 'Where is god? Why is it that he is so present a commander in times of prosperity and so absent in times of trouble?' that's from Lewis' book A Grief Observed. I don't think it's totally necessary to do this for top marks, but it may be helpful to you.
The point I struggle most with is structure. Form and language I think I'm okay with, but what sort of points could you make about structure? Has anyone got any examples? Thanks!
Reply 36
The point I struggle most with is structure. Form and language I think I'm okay with, but what sort of points could you make about structure? Has anyone got any examples? Thanks!

I'm not sure if this really answers your question or helps in any way but my teacher said that even just saying 'later in the extract, this feeling of _______ in increased further as the writer develops the idea of ______' so basically, just pin-pointing where things are in the extract/your wider reading, and how this has an effect :smile: Or you could pick out punctuation, sentence length, the order of words etc. I find form the hardest! Unless it's a drama, I have no idea how to mention form D: so if could try to explain it to me then that'd be helpful :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by c-anne-
I'm not sure if this really answers your question or helps in any way but my teacher said that even just saying 'later in the extract, this feeling of _______ in increased further as the writer develops the idea of ______' so basically, just pin-pointing where things are in the extract/your wider reading, and how this has an effect :smile: Or you could pick out punctuation, sentence length, the order of words etc. I find form the hardest! Unless it's a drama, I have no idea how to mention form D: so if could try to explain it to me then that'd be helpful :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! This helped! I had some of those ideas in my head for structure but I wasn't sure if I was on the right wave-length.

For form, I usually talk about and compare the narrative perspectives - like first person personal pronouns, and how that has an impact on the story being told in the text. With poems, I sometimes talk about the type - like metaphysical, sonnet, etc? But then that would also come under context/structure, I'm not sure. I get muddled too! Has anyone else got any other ideas for form? :smile:
Reply 38
Thank you! This helped! I had some of those ideas in my head for structure but I wasn't sure if I was on the right wave-length.

For form, I usually talk about and compare the narrative perspectives - like first person personal pronouns, and how that has an impact on the story being told in the text. With poems, I sometimes talk about the type - like metaphysical, sonnet, etc? But then that would also come under context/structure, I'm not sure. I get muddled too! Has anyone else got any other ideas for form? :smile:

Ohh okay, I guess we'll be talking about f,s,l without even realising then haha :smile: do you organise your essay by point or by having a paragraph for form then a paragraph for structure etc?
I think the thing I'm most scared about is not understanding the poetry, and getting the complete wrong end of the stick xD I need to get at least a B in the exam because my coursework is an A* but I'm not feeling confident about it at all, eeeek :|

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are people revising in terms of social/historical context. I've learnt most of my wider reading quotes/points now and have done 4 past papers (going to do 2 more before the exam), but I haven't got much on historical context beyond the basics i.e. Elizabethan, Shakespearian, Victorian context etc.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending