The Student Room Group

The Arsenal Meltdown Thread 2013/14

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fizzel
I didn't say there weren't reasons. Doesn't change the fact no one would have said this result wasn't a collapse if you'd been asked before Xmas.

Collapse implies ****ing up the opportunities that come your way, it doesn't imply misfortune. Probably still win the Cup anyway which will be a better season than any of the plastic clubs.

I dont think wed have won the league anyway, but it grates to see people dismiss our horrific injury list as if Arsenal fans have imagined it.
Original post by Zürich
Probably still win the Cup anyway which will be a better season than any of the plastic clubs. .

How so? City have also won a trophy and will finish above Arsenal, Chelsea are in the semi finals of the Champions League (something Arsenal haven't managed to do since 2006) and will also finish above Arsenal.
Original post by Zürich
Collapse implies ****ing up the opportunities that come your way, it doesn't imply misfortune.
Nah, it just implies a significant fall from a position, fortune has nothing to do with it. A choke or a bottle perhaps would have that implication.

Probably still win the Cup anyway which will be a better season than any of the plastic clubs.
Its not a bad season, a trophy and top 4, few United fans would call that a **** season considering.

I dont think wed have won the league anyway, but it grates to see people dismiss our horrific injury list as if Arsenal fans have imagined it.
I didn't think you'd win it, simply because of the depth. Would be impressive to see you win it with Giroud as a striker tbh, I never thought he'd keep up his strike rate. The goals from Ramsey and from the wings were always going to matter.
Reply 583
Original post by Zürich
Collapse implies ****ing up the opportunities that come your way, it doesn't imply misfortune. Probably still win the Cup anyway which will be a better season than any of the plastic clubs.

tbf no one cares about the fa cup when teams like wigan can win it and hull get to the final....top3 is a far more significant achievement. thats why i wanted spurs out of the europa league early so we actually have a sodding chance this year.

anyway its a standard arsenal meltdown again. same **** different year.
Original post by Parano!d
tbf no one cares about the fa cup when teams like wigan can win it and hull get to the final....top3 is a far more significant achievement. thats why i wanted spurs out of the europa league early so we actually have a sodding chance this year.

Have Chelsea/City not collapsed? AFC will probably win more than either this season...

lol
Original post by sr90
How so? City have also won a trophy and will finish above Arsenal, Chelsea are in the semi finals of the Champions League (something Arsenal haven't managed to do since 2006) and will also finish above Arsenal.

FA>>>League. Beaten the champions and 2 top6 teams along the way....

Arrsenal get crucified every trophy we dont win, but Chelsea/Mou aren't. Always nice to confirm that Arsenal are held to different standards.

Reply 587
Original post by Zürich
Have Chelsea/City not collapsed? AFC will probably win more than either this season...

City haven't collapsed...if ur counting irrelavant trophies they still won the league cup and will probs finish 1st/2nd. that's better than arsenal isnt it??

Chelski have bottled the league title but still in the champions league and may finish 2nd/3rd.

im sure u'd rather be in one of their situations right now??
City haven't collapsed...if ur counting irrelavant trophies they still won the league cup and will probs finish 1st/2nd. that's better than arsenal isnt it??

Chelski have bottled the league title but still in the champions league and may finish 2nd/3rd.

im sure u'd rather be in one of their situations right now??

*******s, FA and CL>LC and CL

As I say, Arsenal are held to different standards, we bring it on ourselves. ''Arsenal are an arrogant club with much to be arrogant about''
Reply 589
Original post by Zürich

As I say, Arsenal are held to different standards, we bring it on ourselves. ''Arsenal are an arrogant club with much to be arrogant about''

u cant just say qualifying for cl, u have to look at league position too :rolleyes:

otherwise u could say city have done better cos:
1st/2nd place + a cup > 4th + a cup

Challenging for the title and coming 1st/2nd with LC is better than finishing 4th with the FA cup. how do u not get that i dont know.
all of this is so short sighted..

Comparing the end of the season to the middle is a bit silly - the middle of the season is just that, the middle. Its a half way point, and your position is not meaningful/any acheivement at that point.

Only true comparison of progression is season against season. when all is done and you can see how the year went, then you can look and compare it to that previous season(s)

If arsenal finish this season with:

- The FA cup
- CL qualification
- Qualified from CL group
- Had a challenge at the title

Then that is great progress for the club.. and what most arsenal fans would have called a good season, before it started..

So is a good season a crumble?

Compared to arsenal sitting top of the league in decemeber.. probably..

Compared to the last few seasons where aresenal have failed to be able to challenge for the title.. not won anything.. and been battling for 4th for the whole season, rather then challenging for the title, and then falling back to 4th.. definetly not.

Anyway, a trophy is a trophy, and the FA cup can be a great pre-curser to bigger things, installing a winning attitude and sense of confidence within the players.. not to mention it removes the pressure of '8 years since the last trophy'

If it ends as above, arsenal fans should be very happy, and by no means should it be considered a crumble.. the only thing it falls short of is hypothetical sucess, that may have happened, but never did.. whereas in real terms, its progress from last year.
u cant just say qualifying for cl, u have to look at league position too :rolleyes:

otherwise u could say city have done better cos:
1st/2nd place + a cup > 4th + a cup

Challenging for the title and coming 1st/2nd with LC is better than finishing 4th with the FA cup. how do u not get that i dont know.

City with a league cup=Challenged
Arsenal with an FA=bottled

Reminds me of the comparisons between the two clubs' exists from the CL if you think back.

Used to this kind of double standard as an Arsenal fan. We are simply held to higher standards.
Original post by Zürich

Arsenal are the new Liverpool it seems to acting like they are the villains and victims of everything according to fans. Getting boring now.

Arsenal haven't won a trophy in 9 years and seemingly choke in the final straight all the time. Very different situations to City and Chelsea who regularly compete at the top level or won trophies recently.

Also Arsenal did have a tough route to the final, but all the games pretty much were at home. Makes it a lot easier than the way some put it. Still, is a good achievement no question.

Original post by fallen_acorns
all of this is so short sighted..

Comparing the end of the season to the middle is a bit silly - the middle of the season is just that, the middle. Its a half way point, and your position is not meaningful/any acheivement at that point.

Only true comparison of progression is season against season. when all is done and you can see how the year went, then you can look and compare it to that previous season(s)

- The FA cup
- CL qualification

Then that is great progress for the club.. and what most arsenal fans would have called a good season, before it started..

So is a good season a crumble?

Compared to arsenal sitting top of the league in decemeber.. probably..

Compared to the last few seasons where aresenal have failed to be able to challenge for the title.. not won anything.. and been battling for 4th for the whole season, rather then challenging for the title, and then falling back to 4th.. definetly not.

Anyway, a trophy is a trophy, and the FA cup can be a great pre-curser to bigger things, installing a winning attitude and sense of confidence within the players.. not to mention it removes the pressure of '8 years since the last trophy'

If it ends as above, arsenal fans should be very happy, and by no means should it be considered a crumble.. the only thing it falls short of is hypothetical sucess, that may have happened, but never did.. whereas in real terms, its progress from last year.

No question is a good season if Arsenal win the FA Cup and finish top 4. But it's another season to qualify for the CL, and one which has seen Arsenal battered and humiliated away from home by the top 3 (and 5th place). For long term stability it's good, but as long as Wenger is at the club Arsenal will struggle to win things as the mentality isn't right. He just gives the club great stability.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
*******s, FA and CL>LC and CL marginally.

As I say, Arsenal are held to different standards, we bring it on ourselves. ''Arsenal are an arrogant club with not much to be arrogant about''

Fixed that for you.
Original post by Gob Bluth
Arsenal are the new Liverpool it seems to acting like they are the villains and victims of everything according to fans. Getting boring now.

Arsenal haven't won a trophy in 9 years and seemingly choke in the final straight all the time. Very different situations to City and Chelsea who regularly compete at the top level or won trophies recently.

Also Arsenal did have a tough route to the final, but all the games pretty much were at home. Makes it a lot easier than the way some put it. Still, is a good achievement no question.

Are we not writing this on a specific anti-Arsenal thread? Is this normal journalism?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10763907/Arsenal-are-a-joke-that-gets-funnier-in-the-retelling-but-they-do-not-amuse-Roy-Keane.html

That's the thing, people pick and choose how they'll attack Arsenal. Win the Cup and it means **** all apparently. Spend £0m whilst City spend £1bn and we're the bottlers innit

It's not new at all, every Northerner associates Arsenal with London ponces going back 30 years. **** the lot of you.
Reply 595
Original post by Zürich
City with a league cup=Challenged
Arsenal with an FA=bottled

Reminds me of the comparisons between the two clubs' exists from the CL if you think back.

Used to this kind of double standard as an Arsenal fan. We are simply held to higher standards.

oh stop being so stubborn and take off ur red tinted specs. look at it objectively, challenged as in they are still challenging for the title until the last day. arsenal's pseudo challenge ended in march and ur struggling to even cement 4th place.

to go from top of the table to now over the course of a few months is nothing but a crumble. u can hide behind ur fa cup all you want and pretend ur club is being victimised, but the facts are there for u to see.
Reply 596
Original post by fallen_acorns

- The FA cup
- CL qualification

But you didn't challenge for the title
Original post by So Instinct
Fixed that for you.

We are inherently better though innit? Even before a ball is kicked Arsenal have the authority, just by being Arsenal. A.F.C are just a class apart in how we conduct ourselves, yesterday, today and tomorrow. Real blue bloods.

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Are we not writing this on a specific anti-Arsenal thread? Is this normal journalism?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10763907/Arsenal-are-a-joke-that-gets-funnier-in-the-retelling-but-they-do-not-amuse-Roy-Keane.html

That's the thing, people pick and choose how they'll attack Arsenal. Win the Cup and it means **** all apparently. Spend £0m whilst City spend £1bn and we're the bottlers innit

It's not new at all, every Northerner associates Arsenal with London ponces going back 30 years. **** the lot of you.

Arsenal have had cash reserves for the past couple of seasons, but have chose not to spend. Blame Wenger and co for not keeping up with how the game is now played. Also blame them for the ridiculously weak mentality he brings to the big games recently.

Spending a difference of £1bn makes no difference, you still bottle it season after season, like no other side. The club is a bit of a joke now, you can blame the past few years for that.
Wow now I understand why some people complain about the Arsenal fans who moan. Who cares what anyone else thinks, just be content with Arsenal finishing top 4 (may not even happen you never know) and winning the FA cup (again you never know they might choke but that's unlikely this season). The continuous moaning and acting like victims is the reason why people troll the Arsenal thread and hold little respect for Arsenal fans on this site.

Quick Reply

Latest