The Student Room Group

Geography homework help

I've looked all over the internet and my revision books but can't seem to find anything about these

Why does land use in cities need to be carefully planned?
How have high street shopping habits changed?
How have supermarkets (Tesco) changed the pattern of shopping from the past?

thanks
Reply 1
don't get the first question sorry
Supermarkets have changed habits because now it is so easy and convenient to get all your shopping done in one place. Previously, you had to go to the butchers, the bakers, the market etc but now it's all in one place. The development of the car and transport systems have made supermarkets possible, as they're usually on the outskirts of cities and not local. Also, there's the option to online shop, which obviously has completely changed shopping. The internet and the 2008 recession were the most important factors in the high street change - loads of shops closed or went into administration due to the recession, and there are way more pound shops, betting shops etc. The internet has made it possible for you to shop wherever, and seeing as prices are often cheaper, people are now less likely to go into town. Generally, the high street has declined, but there are lots of schemes for helping high streets - look up Mary Portas.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Year11guy
I've looked all over the internet and my revision books but can't seem to find anything about these

Why does land use in cities need to be carefully planned?
How have high street shopping habits changed?
How have supermarkets (Tesco) changed the pattern of shopping from the past?

thanks

I find it hard to believe that you haven't been able to find out anything about these, especially since it's largely common sense. Especially the first one. Have you actually tried sitting down and thinking logically about the answer?
Reply 3
Original post by kate3
don't get the first question sorry
Supermarkets have changed habits because now it is so easy and convenient to get all your shopping done in one place. Previously, you had to go to the butchers, the bakers, the market etc but now it's all in one place. The development of the car and transport systems have made supermarkets possible, as they're usually on the outskirts of cities and not local. Also, there's the option to online shop, which obviously has completely changed shopping. The internet and the 2008 recession were the most important factors in the high street change - loads of shops closed or went into administration due to the recession, and there are way more pound shops, betting shops etc. The internet has made it possible for you to shop wherever, and seeing as prices are often cheaper, people are now less likely to go into town. Generally, the high street has declined, but there are lots of schemes for helping high streets - look up Mary Portas.

Thanks, I think the first question means why does land use in cities (such as recreational, economic, business, healthcare, residential) need to be carefully planned because it might affect it? I don't know. lol
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
I find it hard to believe that you haven't been able to find out anything about these, especially since it's largely common sense. Especially the first one. Have you actually tried sitting down and thinking logically about the answer?

I managed to do the last two by myself, it's just the first one I have no idea where to start or what to do. I know what it means by land use, just don't get what the question's asking.
I managed to do the last two by myself, it's just the first one I have no idea where to start or what to do. I know what it means by land use, just don't get what the question's asking.

Land use is exactly what it sounds like... how the land is used. There are lots of points you can make, and most of them stem from the fact that the amount of land available is limited and thus it is important to plan what you build on that land. Think about what kind of land you need for cities and the limitations there might be. These can be physical factors (e.g. the actual landscape itself) or human factors (e.g. transport).
Reply 6
Thanks, I think the first question means why does land use in cities (such as recreational, economic, business, healthcare, residential) need to be carefully planned because it might affect it? I don't know. lol

hm... I guess because you want the business in the CBD so it's in the centre so workers can get there easily, and it makes the city look good with the high rise buildings; residential wants to be nearer the country but it also needs to have good transport links so that needs to be planned; obviously hospitals need to be in places where everyone can have good access to them for the A+E; industry should be a bit out of the centre - it doesn't look good, often they produce air pollution, land is cheaper... You should check the curriculum if you haven't already :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by kate3
hm... I guess because you want the business in the CBD so it's in the centre so workers can get there easily, and it makes the city look good with the high rise buildings; residential wants to be nearer the country but it also needs to have good transport links so that needs to be planned; obviously hospitals need to be in places where everyone can have good access to them for the A+E; industry should be a bit out of the centre - it doesn't look good, often they produce air pollution, land is cheaper... You should check the curriculum if you haven't already :smile:

Original post by Chlorophile
Land use is exactly what it sounds like... how the land is used. There are lots of points you can make, and most of them stem from the fact that the amount of land available is limited and thus it is important to plan what you build on that land. Think about what kind of land you need for cities and the limitations there might be. These can be physical factors (e.g. the actual landscape itself) or human factors (e.g. transport).

One of my questions are: to give 5 bullet points on why the BBC moved to Salford from London.
I wrote :
Running costs are cheaper
To regenerate Salford
New people come to the area
More jobs available to local people
Cultural reason, since it's a British corporation and if it moves to different regions in England to show different areas in the country?
Reply 8
One of my questions are: to give 5 bullet points on why the BBC moved to Salford from London.
I wrote :
To regenerate Salford
Cultural reason, since it's a British corporation and if it moves to different regions in England to show different areas in the country?

main reason was the cost, yeah. I don't think the BBC care too much about showing different areas of the country. I think they were attracted by the regeneration which meant they could be a flagship business in the Media City, but not because they WANTED to regenerate Salford as per say. Also, there are studios around that area
Reply 9
I wrote :
To regenerate Salford

Looks fair enough against the intro on this doc:

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/review_report_research/vfm/nao_salford.pdf
Reply 10
Is Westfield Stratford an out of town shopping complex. If it's not, could I have some examples? I need to do a case study.
Reply 11
Is Westfield Stratford an out of town shopping complex. If it's not, could I have some examples? I need to do a case study.

Quick Reply

Latest