The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

BMus Music Entry 2014

Hello,

This thread is for anyone that is applying for BMus Music at University of Edinburgh.

Please feel free to discuss anything about applying to the course, it would be great to hear from as many of you as possible, or indeed anyone that is currently on the course!

I am currently applying for entry into 2nd year, having completed two years of a music degree elsewhere.

It would be great to hear if people are receiving offers, which I hope will be happening anytime now!!

Louis

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I applied for both the BMus and the MA in Music. Haven't heard anything yet other than a request for further information for the MA degree. Starting to get really impatient for a reply! Hopefully I'll hear back this week, anyone else still waiting? Edinburgh's definitely my first choice but I've got an unconditional offer for the BMus at Newcastle University too. Anyway, hello fellow music people! :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Glad to hear you haven't heard back then! I am thinking that no news, must be good news!!

Edinburgh is the only place I have applied to, so I hope I get offered my place haha

And I would definitely have Edinburgh as my first place too :tongue: do you think you would rather do the BMus? I know the MA course is totally new.

Nice to meet another music person!!
Reply 3
Original post by loueebee93
Glad to hear you haven't heard back then! I am thinking that no news, must be good news!!

Edinburgh is the only place I have applied to, so I hope I get offered my place haha

And I would definitely have Edinburgh as my first place too :tongue: do you think you would rather do the BMus? I know the MA course is totally new.

Nice to meet another music person!!

I'm all the more glad to hear that you haven't heard back either (in the nicest way possible :colondollar:). Yeah, that's what everyone has been telling me - no news is better than a rejection. I just hope we get a reply soon. I don't know if it's a tad premature of me to say so, but I'm kind of expecting to hear back either tomorrow or the following day now that the offers, and rejections, are starting to be given out in mass. Where did you study music before? Oh and what instrument(s) do you play? Edinburgh is my first choice, love the course and love the university even more. I'm pretty sure I'd rather do the BMus, with the MA being my second choice. Same, it feels like there's so few of us music people! Where are you from?
Reply 4
Original post by Dylankj96
I'm all the more glad to hear that you haven't heard back either (in the nicest way possible :colondollar:). Yeah, that's what everyone has been telling me - no news is better than a rejection. I just hope we get a reply soon. I don't know if it's a tad premature of me to say so, but I'm kind of expecting to hear back either tomorrow or the following day now that the offers, and rejections, are starting to be given out in mass. Where did you study music before? Oh and what instrument(s) do you play? Edinburgh is my first choice, love the course and love the university even more. I'm pretty sure I'd rather do the BMus, with the MA being my second choice. Same, it feels like there's so few of us music people! Where are you from?

Haha, i totally know what you mean. I am hoping to find out soon too!!! By the end of the month at the very latest though!

I play piano, also play(ed) a bit of trumpet too. How about yourself?

I studied music and education at RCS in Glasgow, I'll leave my comments about the place for behind closed doors ahah :tongue:

I am from Edinburgh myself, and I know it's a VERY good university! Where are you from yourself?
Reply 5
Original post by loueebee93
Haha, i totally know what you mean. I am hoping to find out soon too!!! By the end of the month at the very latest though!

I play piano, also play(ed) a bit of trumpet too. How about yourself?

I studied music and education at RCS in Glasgow, I'll leave my comments about the place for behind closed doors ahah :tongue:

I am from Edinburgh myself, and I know it's a VERY good university! Where are you from yourself?

I think I'll just about die if I need to wait until the end of this month for a reply, it's this week at the latest for me before I start playing some Rachmaninoff in angry protest. :tongue: Piano is my main instrument and I also "play" tuned percussion (not very well, but meh... ). Ah the RCS, great place! I'm from Glasgow myself. :smile:
hey, ive applied for BMus and MA music in edinburgh for 2014. got an offer for BMus a couple of weeks ago, havent heard anything from the MA course since having to tell them more about music and interests etc. Anyone heard from the MA course?
Reply 7
Original post by abc123abc123lol
hey, ive applied for BMus and MA music in edinburgh for 2014. got an offer for BMus a couple of weeks ago, havent heard anything from the MA course since having to tell them more about music and interests etc. Anyone heard from the MA course?

Hey, I've applied for the same degrees. I've gotten a request for additional information for the MA but haven't heard anything other than that. Where you from? Hopefully we'll hear back tomorrow since it's Friday.
Original post by Dylankj96
Hey, I've applied for the same degrees. I've gotten a request for additional information for the MA but haven't heard anything other than that. Where you from? Hopefully we'll hear back tomorrow since it's Friday.

hey, im from northern ireland. where are you from? are the MA offers going out tomorrow? whats your instrument? :smile:)
Reply 9
Original post by abc123abc123lol
hey, im from northern ireland. where are you from? are the MA offers going out tomorrow? whats your instrument? :smile:)

I'm from Scotland myself but I was talking to another person who applied for both the BMus and MA in music from Northern Ireland too. I don't know when the MA offers are going out but it's always around early to mid March time so, with any luck, it might be tomorrow that the first lot of offers are given out. I'm a pianist. :smile:
Hi people :smile:
It's great to see a thread for Edinburgh music applicants on here :smile: I've applied for both the BMus and the MA and received requests for further information for both degrees over a month ago, since then I've heard nothing :frown:

I'm grade 7 on my first study and I'm sitting my grade 8 exam later this year but I don't have grade 5 piano and admittedly I'm nowhere near grade 5 (I've been learning for just over a year and I'm nearly grade 2 :frown:). Are you all grade 5 on piano? I tried to be as honest as possible in my statement and in my email, basically explaining that I've been working my butt off with my piano playing. I decided I wanted to study music in late 2012, discovered piano was essential then started learning straight away. Do you think there's any chance of an offer without the grade 5 piano? :/

Anyway, good luck to you all and I hope you all get offers :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by hemidemisemi
It's great to see a thread for Edinburgh music applicants on here :smile: I've applied for both the BMus and the MA and received requests for further information for both degrees over a month ago, since then I've heard nothing :frown:

I'm grade 7 on my first study and I'm sitting my grade 8 exam later this year but I don't have grade 5 piano and admittedly I'm nowhere near grade 5 (I've been learning for just over a year and I'm nearly grade 2 :frown:). Are you all grade 5 on piano? I tried to be as honest as possible in my statement and in my email, basically explaining that I've been working my butt off with my piano playing. I decided I wanted to study music in late 2012, discovered piano was essential then started learning straight away. Do you think there's any chance of an offer without the grade 5 piano? :/

Hello everyone,

Has anyone else had an offer yet? Still no news yet on my part.

Well I'm a pianist and have been to uni for 2 years already, achieved my grade 8 distinction back in 2010, so we perhaps can't compare. However, knowing people who have applied in the past without grade 5 piano, they all got rejected.

Hopefully the offers start coming soon, they promise to get back by the end of March with offers.
Reply 12
Original post by hemidemisemi

I'm afraid to say the Grade 5 piano is an absolute minimum requirement which the University cannot derogate from. There is no room for negotiation. Regrettably, the University will be unable to offer you a place. They will likely inform you via email. I hope this manages your expectations, and that you are successful elsewhere.
Reply 13
hi, I just got an offer to Bmus and MA but not Music Technology. Anyone else hear anything?
Original post by thad69
hi, I just got an offer to Bmus and MA but not Music Technology. Anyone else hear anything?

Still haven't heard anything, unfortunately. Well done on your offer! :smile: What's your conditions?
Reply 15
Hi, I was lucky enough (somehow) to get unconditionals. I assumed everyone was just getting offers at the same time, until I read abc123..'s post from a few days ago. So now I have no idea how the offers are being doled out - one by one apparently...
Reply 16
PS See in you in a few months.
Reply 17
Hiya, I got an offer for the MA Music course :smile: is anyone going to the applicant days?
Reply 18
Hello, has anyone heard anything yet from both the BMus and MA from Edinburgh? I've had a few auditions from other universities however I haven't had one from Edinburgh, has anyone has an audition?

Robyn
Original post by roobbyynn
Hello, has anyone heard anything yet from both the BMus and MA from Edinburgh? I've had a few auditions from other universities however I haven't had one from Edinburgh, has anyone has an audition?

Robyn

I don't think Edinburgh actually do auditions for either the BMus or the MA degrees. They say that there may be an interview in "exceptional circumstances" but, in reality, they make their decision based on the information contained in your UCAS application. I've also applied for both of these degrees and, thus far, have heard nothing. Let's just hope they get back by the end of this week! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending