The Student Room Group

Is there life on other planets?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kers123
Thanks alot. I also want to know if there is existence of people on other planets rather than aliens? People like us humans?

You'd need to talk to an exo-biologist to get that percentage.

But yeah, it's logical to assume that on planets where water is that life would evolve as a bipedal structure be it reptilian (some therapods were as smart as a dog before they were wiped out) or mammalian.

Of course on places like Titan you'd expect life to be very different, there are likely several forms of life.
Reply 21
Original post by Rakas21
You'd need to talk to an exo-biologist to get that percentage.

But yeah, it's logical to assume that on planets where water is that life would evolve as a bipedal structure be it reptilian (some therapods were as smart as a dog before they were wiped out) or mammalian.

Of course on places like Titan you'd expect life to be very different, there are likely several forms of life.

Wow, I've never heard of Titan. Where did you hear about it?
Reply 22
Original post by kers123
Wow, I've never heard of Titan. Where did you hear about it?

It's a moon orbiting Saturn. It's the only moon in the solar system with an atmosphere and evidence of liquid on the surface. It's also the only place other than earth where all the elements needed for RNA and DNA have been found.

Not that you could breathe there. It's about -150C and the liquid is Methane based.

Once the sun becomes a red giant in a few billion years it will probably get very toasty given that Methane is a greenhouse gas.

http://www.space.com/8076-life-titan-thrive-water.html

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17380-solar-xrays-may-create-dna-building-blocks-on-titan.html#.UxiP4fl_uyY
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Rakas21
It's a moon orbiting Saturn. It's the only moon in the solar system with an atmosphere and evidence of liquid on the surface. It's also the only place other than earth where all the elements needed for RNA and DNA have been found.

Not that you could breathe there. It's about -150C and the liquid is Methane based.

Once the sun becomes a red giant in a few billion years it will probably get very toasty given that Methane is a greenhouse gas.

Well it sounds better than our moon rotating around the Earth! Ours has no oxygen!

Is it said proven that the sun will be red giant in a few billion years?
Probably. But we don't know yet.
Do you mean "life" or "intelligent life"?

The former is actually relatively likely within our own solar system in the form of microbes and other simple organisms (I would be very surprised if there isn't some form of life on Europa for example).

However, Intelligent life, while almost definitely out there considering how big the universe is, will be very very far away.
Reply 26
Original post by kers123
Well it sounds better than our moon rotating around the Earth! Ours has no oxygen!

Is it said proven that the sun will be red giant in a few billion years?

Indeed, it's a very interesting world whether there is life or not. Completely unique in the solar system versus Venus and Mars which were both quite earth like with water at one stage.

Yes, around 5 billion years. But in around 2 billion the moon will decouple from earths orbit meaning that the earth won't be able to maintain life anyway (the moon acts as an anchor, without it the earth could become tidally locked with the sun (always facing one side).
Reply 27
Original post by Rakas21
Indeed, it's a very interesting world whether there is life or not. Completely unique in the solar system versus Venus and Mars which were both quite earth like with water at one stage.

Yes, around 5 billion years. But in around 2 billion the moon will decouple from earths orbit meaning that the earth won't be able to maintain life anyway (the moon acts as an anchor, without it the earth could become tidally locked with the sun (always facing one side).

Evidence please
Yep!

I don't believe they are among us, but maybe watching us.

I believe in aliens, the Illuminati and things surrounding this. I also believe conspiracies about 9/11 which involve the Illuminati.

I won't discuss this with someone who doesn't believe, but anyone who does it is great to have a talk about it! always learning new things.

If you don't believe, just ask yourself one question. Do you truly believe this is all their is, to us, to life, to the universe?
And as you most likely won't believe in 'god' How did we get here? As the big bang theory hasn't been proven either.

And when i say aliens, I don't think they are little green men. I think they are way way beyond anything we could imagine.

It's been getting leaked into the public eye for years, its only a matter of time. But as of right now we are not ready.

If G.W.Bush was to go on TV now and say, hey guys well in fact my names bob and I'm an alien. There would be chaos and the world would be destroyed.
Reply 29
Original post by kers123
Evidence please

http://www.space.com/24517-alien-life-exoplanet-moons-earth.html

There are two schools of thought (so nobody really knows) but this article is a good assessment of both. In the worst case scenario earth would become tidally locked.

That 2 billion was also the worst case scenario, some models indicate the sun will gobble us up before the moon becomes an issue.
Original post by kers123
So, through Nasa as i heard have found that there is life on other planets. So are there any evidences if it does exist? So are there human being like us on other planets?

NASA directly contacted you to inform you that there is life on other planets?
If they found life you would probably know (:
i do beleive there is life out there

partly because if we as a species are the only dominantly intelligent life out there, then you can consider life a failed experiment seeing what a mess we are making of our planet
Reply 33
Original post by Oschene23
NASA directly contacted you to inform you that there is life on other planets?

No please do not be funny at what you are asking. These are questions being thought and discussed as mysteries. I am not in NASA, but love to discuss and get clues and proofs if any have to understand science and the universe more.:smile:
Reply 34
Original post by Lawyer_Girl.14
Yep!

I don't believe they are among us, but maybe watching us.

I believe in aliens, the Illuminati and things surrounding this. I also believe conspiracies about 9/11 which involve the Illuminati.

I won't discuss this with someone who doesn't believe, but anyone who does it is great to have a talk about it! always learning new things.

If you don't believe, just ask yourself one question. Do you truly believe this is all their is, to us, to life, to the universe?
And as you most likely won't believe in 'god' How did we get here? As the big bang theory hasn't been proven either.

And when i say aliens, I don't think they are little green men. I think they are way way beyond anything we could imagine.

It's been getting leaked into the public eye for years, its only a matter of time. But as of right now we are not ready.

If G.W.Bush was to go on TV now and say, hey guys well in fact my names bob and I'm an alien. There would be chaos and the world would be destroyed.

I love the way you explain it. You are the right kind of person to be involved here and get in it more. I love discussing it too. Would G.W.Bush speak like that? That sounds weird obviously! Yes the world would surely send him off. If he's president and speaks like that whatelse would people do? Hmmm..
Yes aliens could be different. As there are no proofs and maybe people spread rumors about the existence of aliens by seeing cartoons? I am not sur about it.
Reply 35
Reply 36
NASA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnVVYgXkJ3A

[h="1"]Real Alien Video | Alien Picture | Proof Of Life On Mars?[/h]
Reply 37
Original post by Rakas21
http://www.space.com/24517-alien-life-exoplanet-moons-earth.html

There are two schools of thought (so nobody really knows) but this article is a good assessment of both. In the worst case scenario earth would become tidally locked.

That 2 billion was also the worst case scenario, some models indicate the sun will gobble us up before the moon becomes an issue.

Evidence? Any link for the article
Reply 38
Original post by GreenHippie
If they found life you would probably know (:

I am watching youtube and other sources to gather information. Yes, all of us would know as it has to be announced by the researchers.
Reply 39
Original post by silverbolt
i do believe there is life out there

partly because if we as a species are the only dominantly intelligent life out there, then you can consider life a failed experiment seeing what a mess we are making of our planet

That sounds true. Each species in different world have their own technology sometimes better than ours. Some like other species are watching.

Quick Reply

Latest