The Student Room Group

Is there life on other planets?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by rakusmaximus
In what way is it LIKE a gaseous globe then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No offense please. Sorry I typed that because someone told me it was like it. I just checked it out on the internet and I found it is not a gaseous globe but a dwarf planet still not considered a planet now.
Reply 81
Definitely imo. Based on probability where each star that can be seen would have a number of orbiting planets x the number of galaxies that exist, it seems almost certain, even the existence of other intelligent life.
I don't think we'll ever come across the life though (except maybe things like vegetation or unintelligent aliens).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kers123
No offense please. Sorry I typed that because someone told me it was like it. I just checked it out on the internet and I found it is not a gaseous globe but a dwarf planet still not considered a planet now.

It's not gaseous in any way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Original post by No Man
Definitely imo. Based on probability where each star that can be seen would have a number of orbiting planets x the number of galaxies that exist, it seems almost certain, even the existence of other intelligent life.
I don't think we'll ever come across the life though (except maybe things like vegetation or unintelligent aliens).

What does imo stand for? How can each star based on probability be seen would have a number of orbiting planets? Could you give examples? Are you trying to talk about the milky way?
Why do you think so that we'll ever come across the life though?
Reply 84
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
But everywhere has light, heat or cold.

They are conditions!!
Reply 85
Original post by thunder_chunky
Probably. To quote the (underrated) film "Contact":

"I'll tell you one thing about the universe, though. The universe is a pretty big place. It's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us... seems like an awful waste of space. Right? "

The film contact, is it about the universe?

Well it is a massive spacious environment. It is true, "It's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before." We are like a tiny chop-sticks in a planet and when seeing from space we are just little ants for it.
Reply 86
[h="3"]There is Intelligent Human Life on Other Planets[/h]We are not alone. A glance at the night sky reveals that the heavens are filled with innumerable stars. Logic leads us to speculate that many of those stars are suns of inhabited planets. This deduction is true. At this very moment, intelligent human life exists or is being planned on about seven trillion planets in the seven superuniverses.

The physical patterns of human life vary from planet to planet. Some planets have been inhabited for more than a billion years, and their family life and culture are highly advanced compared to ours. On these older worlds, life threatening dangers such as disease, war, and natural disasters no longer exist. If we were to visit one of these planets, we would describe it heaven on earth. Newer worlds, similar to ours, are in their early stages of planetary development.

The common thread which binds us all is that we Families are are freewill intelligent personalities capable of knowing and being known by God, loving and being loved by Him. Each of us has the opportunity to fulfill our Heavenly Father's supreme challenge: "Be you perfect as I am perfect."
Reply 87
Everyone watch this. http://decodehindumythology.blogspot.com/2012/04/lokas-planets-of-advanced-aliens.html
This video is a capture of Zoom out from Earth to the Universe
Different Worlds in Our Universe

From this i learnt that all stars in the milky way is not always a star, it can be a planet or anything. If each star is researched there might be a chance of finding about other human or life races extraterrestrial in other globes. I love astronomy and going to go deepre into this.
Reply 88
[h="1"]Are we Alone in the Universe?[/h]

2007-2008

Duration: 50 minutes
Series exploring topical scientific issues. The search for extra-terrestrial life has been going for 50 years - but there's been a recent breakthrough. Astronomers have discovered a new planet called Gliese 581 c. It is the most Earth-like planet ever found. It orbits a star and may have habitats capable of supporting life. NASA hopes to find 50 more Earth-like planets by the end of the decade, all of which increases the chance that alien life has begun elsewhere.
Original post by kers123
They are conditions!!

That everywhere has! So life could be anywhere.
Reply 90
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
That everywhere has! So life could be anywhere.

Yes, could be.
I don't understand why it is always assumed that aliens would be more advanced than us. Why should they be? Humanity could well be the most advanced life form in the Universe...now that is a scary thought.
Reply 92
Original post by Unruly Marmite
I don't understand why it is always assumed that aliens would be more advanced than us. Why should they be? Humanity could well be the most advanced life form in the Universe...now that is a scary thought.

As Hawking points out, advanced life on earth has only existed for around 7% of the time the universe has been around. While the galaxy may be younger, it's unlikely that no other species would have evolved quicker.
Original post by Rakas21
As Hawking points out, advanced life on earth has only existed for around 7% of the time the universe has been around. While the galaxy may be younger, it's unlikely that no other species would have evolved quicker.

Why is it unlikely? I was just pointing out that it is possible, after all existence itself is a massive game of chance. It's quite possible that any life before humanity either became extinct or hasn't evolved as much. Although I suppose you are right to say it is unlikely.
Reply 94
Original post by Unruly Marmite
Why is it unlikely? I was just pointing out that it is possible, after all existence itself is a massive game of chance. It's quite possible that any life before humanity either became extinct or hasn't evolved as much. Although I suppose you are right to say it is unlikely.

Well the reason i think it's unlikely is that our assumptions previously have been proven wrong. That the earth is an exception to the rule, that a solar system is an exception to the rule.. What we actually find is that our galaxy at least is planet crazy and strongly prefers multi-planetary systems and plenty of rocky planets (and that's before we take into account that we can't detect many of them).
Original post by Rakas21
Well the reason i think it's unlikely is that our assumptions previously have been proven wrong. That the earth is an exception to the rule, that a solar system is an exception to the rule.. What we actually find is that our galaxy at least is planet crazy and strongly prefers multi-planetary systems and plenty of rocky planets (and that's before we take into account that we can't detect many of them).

Oh well, fair enough. It just annoys me, this automatic assumption that any alien species would be vastly more intelligent, advanced, etc.... I think it's the false humility in it that aggravates me.
Mass Effect taught me that there is. I don't think that we're alone.
Reply 97
I think the idea that we are alone is a somewhat blinkered view. That said, I'm not sure if Earth will ever find out if we are.
Reply 98
Original post by Mackay
I think the idea that we are alone is a somewhat blinkered view. That said, I'm not sure if Earth will ever find out if we are.

The researches and investigators of earth have to.
Reply 99
Absolutely not. There's nothing out there.

Quick Reply

Latest