The Student Room Group

International Women's Day - What changes would you like to see over the next year?

So today is International Women's Day and while we've definitely come a long way in terms of equality, there's still a lot that needs to be done. By IWD 2015 what things would you like to have changed to help equality for women either in the UK or internationally?

MOD NOTE: This thread is not discussing pros and cons of feminism. Any further debate on this issue or issues unrelated to what changes we want to see to help make women more equal by next IWD will be deleted and warned. Please feel free to make your own thread discussing pros and cons of feminism or what you want to help men be equal, but this is not the place for it.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
in the western world, just off the top of my head:

- would like men to get get equal treatment in criminal, divorce and custody courts

- would like national healthcare not to spend 8 times more money on women's health than on men's

- would like to see cancer awareness not be focused on women's cancers 99% of the time

- would like to see men get the same social support (depression, homelessness, rape, domestic violence...) as women do, public and private

- would like men not to be 90% of homeless people

- would like men not be 95% of work related injuries and fatalities

- would like women to have to same standards as men in the military, police or the fire service

- would like women not to have quotas in board rooms and other places simply because they happen to be born with a vagina

- would like to stop hearing BBC or politicians emphasize women being killed in war zones as if men are simply farm animals barely worth mentioning

- would like to see the US drone policy not state any male above 16 is a legitimate target in a strike simply because he happens to have a penis

- would like to see men not die 5-10 years earlier than women

- i would like suicide being 80% male and the leading cause of death in young men to be given a billion times more attention

....................... and that's just off the top of my head.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MichaelHawk
in the western world, just off the top of my head:

- would like men to get get equal treatment in criminal, divorce and custody courts

- would like national healthcare not to spend 8 times more money on women's health than on men's

- would like to see cancer awareness not be focused on women's cancers 99% of the time

- would like to see men get the same social support (depression, homelessness, rape, domestic violence...) as women do, public and private

- would like men not to be 90% of homeless people

- would like men not be 95% of work related injuries and fatalities

- would like women to have to same standards as men in the military, police or the fire service

- would like women not to have quotas in board rooms and other places simply because they happen to be born with a vagina

- would like to stop hearing BBC or politicians emphasize women being killed in war zones as if men are simply farm animals barely worth mentioning

- would like to see the US drone policy not state any male above 16 is a legitimate target in a strike simply because he happens to have a penis

....................... and that's just off the top of my head.

Those are all great things, but as it's International Women's Day it would be good to focus on things which would help women such as change of laws which allow people to take upskirt photos of unknowing women, ending the sexual harassment that goes on at work, improving films so that equality is shown and that's just a few things.
Reply 3
Does the fact there's only one international women's day mean the other 364 days of the year are international men days?
More sandwiches I feel.
Original post by Jordooooom
Does the fact there's only one international women's day mean the other 364 days of the year are international men days?

Nope. It just means that this is a specific day for women as the non-dominant group...just like there's black history week but no white history week.
Reply 6
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Nope. It just means that this is a specific day for women as the non-dominant group...just like there's black history week but no white history week.

They're both ridiculous to be honest. How can you be seen as equal if you have these?

I think Morgan freeman said it best, just stop talking about it
Original post by Jordooooom
They're both ridiculous to be honest. How can you be seen as equal if you have these?

I think Morgan freeman said it best, just stop talking about it

That's a debate for another thread, this is for talking about changes that still need to be brought about in order to achieve equality. Feel free to start your own thread on it.
Reply 8
Women already have equality in the UK
Reply 9
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Those are all great things, but as it's International Women's Day it would be good to focus on things which would help women such as change of laws which allow people to take upskirt photos of unknowing women, ending the sexual harassment that goes on at work, improving films so that equality is shown and that's just a few things.

so women getting sexually harassed is more important than the literally life and death issues i just mentioned concerning men?
so women getting sexually harassed is more important than the literally life and death issues i just mentioned concerning men?

What about the life and death issues of women not having access to proper healthcare in developing countries, what about women not being informed about sanitary products so getting blood infections and dying, what about women being sex trafficked and abused?
I love how the people commenting women already have equality are men. :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd like to see less acceptance of "LAD culture" and sexual harassment such as groping on nights out

You're perfectly free to make a thread about the issues concerning men. But this thread is about women. Why is it that every time we make a thread to discuss our issues, whiney (usually white) men come on saying BUT WHAT ABOUT US?! It's as if we can't even talk about issues affecting us without men trying to hijack it
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I love how the people commenting women already have equality are men. :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd like to see less acceptance of "LAD culture" and sexual harassment such as groping on nights out

Agreed, that would be really nice! And alongside that, fewer chants/emails/nights promoting rape would be great (http://o.canada.com/news/ubc-frosh-rape-chant-report-released/ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/10416013/Durham-student-rugby-club-played-game-encouraging-rape-culture.html http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/11/05/oxford-university-rugby-club-free-pussy-email_n_4217694.html)
Reply 14
You're perfectly free to make a thread about the issues concerning men. But this thread is about women. Why is it that every time we make a thread to discuss our issues, whiney (usually white) men come on saying BUT WHAT ABOUT US?! It's as if we can't even talk about issues affecting us without men trying to hijack it

The exact same happens on any thread that doesn't present women in a positive light or makes any criticism against women even if it substantiated with evidence. You immediately get TSR's resident band of feminists attacking and insulting everyone.

Yeah, agreed! These nights are disgusting

Original post by arson_fire
Maybe for the same reason every time a guy makes a thread about what they find attractive in a partner it gets hijacks by feminists :dontknow:

That's because people keep saying they want their partner to not believe they are equal, which as you could imagine, pisses a lot of people off
Original post by arson_fire
But that`s not what they were saying, was it? It`s what you wanted them to say.

Not the place for this argument.

Please keep thread on topic of changes we would like to see by next IWD to help women in society be more equal.
Reply 17
Yeah, agreed! These nights are disgusting

That's because people keep saying they want their partner to not believe they are equal, which as you could imagine, pisses a lot of people off

Lol, no one even said that
Original post by Machop
Lol, no one even said that

I don't want to derail the threads, but feminism is equality. There are various types of feminists, but if you believe in equality, you are a feminist of a type. If you say you don't want your partner to be a feminist, you are saying you don't want them to believe in equality
Reply 19
I don't want to derail the threads, but feminism is equality. There are various types of feminists, but if you believe in equality, you are a feminist of a type. If you say you don't want your partner to be a feminist, you are saying you don't want them to believe in equality

No, the term for gender equality is egalitarianism. Anyway it's not exactly hard to find a partner who isn't a feminist considering mainstream surveys have found that around 80-85% of women in the UK do not label themselves as feminists. Incidentally, are you also an MRA as they are also fighting for gender equality?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending