The Student Room Group

Student in Australia, any questions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jellybellys
Hoping to have a year abroad in aus as part of my uni degree, which I'm excited about!
How expensive is it out there in comparison to UK? Especially things like rent and food?
How quickly did you settle in after coming from UK?

It is more expensive without doubt. Not sure on rent as I never rented in London but I pay $170 a week in a share house about 2km from the CBD. Food is more expensive, something that shocks you at first but you soon get used too. For example (I know it isn't food but) a can of Rexona (same as Sure) deodorant is about $7.

Luckily I have an uncle and an aunt here who I stayed with last year before moving out this year so I had a nice base but it took me a little while to think of this place as 'home'. Luckily I met some great people about four weeks into first semester and also joined a soccer club so I have a good set of friends here now, and always gaining more through friends.

What university are you looking yo study at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bobsta10
Oh the cooler temperatures won't affect you at all. I had family come over in winter and they spent the whole time in shorts and t-shirts.

It isn't cheap, luckily I am very fortunate to have the parents that I do who support my studying financially whilst I pay my way here. To be honest though, it isn't much more expensive than studying in England now that the fees are up to about £12,000 a year.

where are you going whilst you're here?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok :smile: Flying out to Sydney then going to travel up the east coast to cairns on the hop on hop off bus :smile: do will be stopping in Brisbane !
Reply 22
Original post by lucysmorley
Ah ok :smile: Flying out to Sydney then going to travel up the east coast to cairns on the hop on hop off bus :smile: do will be stopping in Brisbane !

It will be hotter each time you step off of the bus, I can guarantee that.

Sydney is really nice, so much to see. Haven't driven there cannot sure about what's on the way to Brisbane but from here up is pretty nice. A lot of coast lines and beautiful beaches with the odd town every once in a while.

If you can make any more time at all, take a trip to Melbourne, it is the best place I have visited since I have been here. But, it will be rather cold during winter!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by lucysmorley

If you can afford it (in regard to time and money), go past Cairns to Daintree. One of the most beautiful places I've ever been to (and I've been to a few :wink: ), the oldest rainforest on the planet.
It will be hotter each time you step off of the bus, I can guarantee that.

Sydney is really nice, so much to see. Haven't driven there cannot sure about what's on the way to Brisbane but from here up is pretty nice. A lot of coast lines and beautiful beaches with the odd town every once in a while.

If you can make any more time at all, take a trip to Melbourne, it is the best place I have visited since I have been here. But, it will be rather cold during winter!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah brilliant it's safe to say I'm pretty excited luckily got some friends in Sydney so I can stay with them to start with :smile: my cousin worked and travelled in aus last yr and he ended up staying in Melbourne for 6 months so will try go but it's in the opposite direction unfortunately :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sir Fox
If you can afford it (in regard to time and money), go past Cairns to Daintree. One of the most beautiful places I've ever been to (and I've been to a few :wink: ), the oldest rainforest on the planet.

Ye I'll deffo try do that if I can among other things I want to go skydiving somewhere maybe the blue mountains or somewhere similar :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is more expensive without doubt. Not sure on rent as I never rented in London but I pay $170 a week in a share house about 2km from the CBD. Food is more expensive, something that shocks you at first but you soon get used too. For example (I know it isn't food but) a can of Rexona (same as Sure) deodorant is about $7.

Luckily I have an uncle and an aunt here who I stayed with last year before moving out this year so I had a nice base but it took me a little while to think of this place as 'home'. Luckily I met some great people about four weeks into first semester and also joined a soccer club so I have a good set of friends here now, and always gaining more through friends.

What university are you looking yo study at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh okay - thanks! And either ANU or Uni of Sydney! :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by jellybellys
Ahhh okay - thanks! And either ANU or Uni of Sydney! :smile:

Haven't been to Canberra so not sure what it's like but I guess it wouldn't be the capital if it didn't have its reasons. Not sure where Uni of Sydney is in relation to the CBD but I know that the city is a very nice place so I'm sure you will have a great time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know a LOT of people who've been to ANU and said that it is incredibly boring. I know people who dropped out because they couldn't handle living in Canberra, and those that saw their degrees through said literally "three years is enough of Canberra for most people." One of my friends got a high paying government job in Canberra, but couldn't handle the city, and then moved to Canada. On the positive side, marijuana is decriminalised there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by alejandro_o
I know a LOT of people who've been to ANU and said that it is incredibly boring. I know people who dropped out because they couldn't handle living in Canberra, and those that saw their degrees through said literally "three years is enough of Canberra for most people." One of my friends got a high paying government job in Canberra, but couldn't handle the city, and then moved to Canada.

You must have extremely weird friends - everyone I know here enjoys his/her time at ANU. Canberra is an awesome place that has recently been voted the Australian city with the highest quality of life and most Australians judge it without ever having been there. They think hearsay reflects absolute truth.

We've got stunning countryside right at our doorstep (not like Sydney or Melbourne where it takes you at least half an hour to get out of the CBD) and ANU's Campus is bordered by a nature reserve to the west and the lake to the south. We have loads of culture (National Museum, National Gallery, War Memorial, parliament etc.), good restaurants, scores of bars and nightclubs and ANU students party hard in the colleges and halls. ANU's campus is massive and it is considered way more prestigious than UoS, only Melbourne comes close.

There is always something going on in Canberra. Around the start of this semester there were (in quick succession) the massive Australia Day fireworks (better than NYE in Sydney, in my opinion), the multicultural festival (whole CBD crammed with stalls and food from all over the world), Enlighten, the balloon festival and Skyfire (the third massive fireworks over the lake within only three months).

Canberra has, by the way, on average the most educated, youngest and most liberal population of any major Australian city and crime levels are very long.

People who consider Canberra boring are either super selective in their preferential activities (e.g. trying to find a new club every weekend of the year), in total ignorance of the fact that a city of less than a tenth of the population of either Sydney or Melbourne naturally cannot compete with them entertainment wise or just massive urban snobs.

On the positive side, marijuana is decriminalised there.

Yes, but it's still illegal and attracts a $100, if not more.
Canberra is definitely very pretty and relaxed, but I guess maybe it is just the size thing. Some people can't handle living in such a small city with a limited amount of things to do, and expect it to be more lively because it is a capital city and therefore seems like it should be livelier.

While this is all based on hearsay, it's a LOT of hearsay from a rather varied group of people. Even my friend's dad moved to Canberra and struggled to find things to do within his interests. One of my friends who is very involved in the Student Union in Melbourne dropped out of Law/Arts at ANU after 6 weeks to do Arts at Melbourne because she said the Student Union wasn't very active and there was little to no student life. But that being said, she enjoys a good drink, and apparently ANU don't allow alcohol at any student related events. Maybe that's the entire issue.

And people I know who've lived there have said police have seen them with marijuana and it's no issue. They probably exaggerate their experiences though. It sounds quite relaxed.

Quick Reply

Latest