The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Remember that really cute boy on Hollyoaks that was getting bullied for being mixed race?

Off topic here but that was Ali wasn't it? He was pretty damn cute
Reply 41
shady lane
Remember that really cute boy on Hollyoaks that was getting bullied for being mixed race?

If he was really naughty, I don't know if his parents would have sued the school. That takes a bit of effort just for some troublemaking child. Anyway, the school may actually have had a rule against long hair on boys on the books since the 1960s.

Parents are often irrational about their kids. I remember a few times in school when I'd behaved like an absolute **** and my mum still backed me. Its family after all :p:
Reply 42
shady lane
Opinions?

http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools/story/0,,1830971,00.html

A 16-year-old boy has moved schools after being suspended because his hair was too long. Sam Grant, 16, was only allowed back into class when his parents took legal action against Sir Thomas Rich school in Gloucester.
The teenager, who is of mixed race, said he had grown his hair long to divert attention from the colour of his skin, which had attracted racist remarks. His father, solicitor Stephen Grant, said the school had discriminated against his son on sex and race grounds.

Sam will now study for A-levels at another school. Sir Thomas Rich school was unable to comment on the case.

Thats not racism lol. If a white guy had been suspended for having long hair, would it be racism? Its about the hair, not the colour.

Anyways, its a stupid thing to suspend someone for regardless. Detention material if that.
Reply 43
shady lane
You'd think the school would have suspended the racist students...

Can you really expel people for opinions? Punish them for acting on those opinions until they hold their tongue :p:
Reply 44
Stick Man
Boys can't have long hair = sexism?
:confused:

Its attempting to enforce stereotypical masculinity without regard to personal choice.

Are all the girls with short hair forced to grow it? Nope.

By the school's reasoning, all the boys should be forced to go the gym so they can be all muscly and 'masculine'.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
Zakatu
At the risk of generalising, could this be because the majority of the black kids left at 16. leaving only the clever ones in the sixth form?

I don't want to turn this into a racial issue because its been done to death.

This could be said of white kids too lol, in general sixth formers are going to be the more intelligent and academically minded members of the school. You can usually tell a sixth former in the first year of secondary education my grandpa once told me :p:
Reply 47
I know this is rather off-topic from the thread, but I can't resist...

FeedTheGoat
Human rights is the biggest load of bull **** going so defend it all you want but I think it is an absolute farse.

:rofl: If you were in the position of having your fundamental human rights abused (such as the right to a fair trial) I bet you'd be saying otherwise!

Why everything must be brought to this wishy washy liberal standard of crappiness is beyond me. Everyone bangs on about rights and about how everyone is equal but my God people are not born equal regardless of the people who say otherwise who have their heads in the clouds. Equal liberty for everyone is one of the pitfalls of the country we live in and cause needless problems like those above.

Anyone would think this rant of unsubstantiated, prejudiced opinion was fact! :biggrin:
Reply 48
FanTOM
Not for opinions. But, if it is true that those students were making derogatory comments about the boy's race, then yes. If tolerance is shown towards racism at such a young age, we will never fully eradicate the problem.

I'm not saying we should tolerate racism. If is acted upon, as you say with derogatory remarks, than the person in question should be punished. However, if they wish to sit in their living room at night reading the daily mail and fuming about all the other ethnicities, let them be.
(edited 11 years ago)
Zakatu
At the risk of generalising, could this be because the majority of the black kids left at 16. leaving only the clever ones in the sixth form?

I don't want to turn this into a racial issue because its been done to death.

Thats bullsh*t even if some left, there would still be lesser intelegent ones in 6th form if it where true. Not every one is clever in 6th form, so many people drop out.
Seprate schools for black and white? Your dad ought to beat you for saying something like that.

Racial segrigation would be great for society :rolleyes: or not.
Reply 52
FanTOM
Zakatu might applaud you for such an awful sweeping generalisation, but I won't.

Seperate schooling for blacks and whites? ****ing hell, what decade was you born in? Relations in Britain between different races has never been better. Let's take a step back into the dark age shall we?

The rise of the BNP? Birmingham race riots between blacks and asians in 2005? Bradford race riots in 2001? Give me a break.
Reply 53
No i meant, it was good that he wasn't scared to say black kids created a problem in his school. I diddn't agree that there should be segregation.

With all the political correctness nowadays its rare people will say things like that. To be honest he's probably right that the black kids in his school are academically worse.

I acknowledged that it was a generalisation, but its true that the actions of a few kids that are disruptive and not interested in education make the rest of the class suffer.
Reply 54
*titanium*
Seprate schools for black and white? Your dad ought to beat you for saying something like that.

Racial segrigation would be great for society :rolleyes: or not.

It would be great acedemically yes. Stop thinking about multiculturalism for one second and think wider. :rolleyes:
D00
It would be great acedemically yes. Stop thinking about multiculturalism for one second and think wider. :rolleyes:

I think it will make no diffrence acedemicaly, and form a culture point of veiw it would be a disaster. Isolating an ethnic minority is not exactly the way to go about things, its only going to lead to huge social problems.

Are you honestly trying to say that black people being in your class is holding you back?

What next, have them living in desprate hoseing estates?

This is most certainly NOT the way forward.
Reply 56
*titanium*
I think it will make no diffrence acedemicaly, and form a culture point of veiw it would be a disaster. Isolating an ethnic minority is not exactly the way to go about things, its only going to lead to huge social problems?

You seriously need to drop your failed concept of multiculturalism in everything imaginable because it isn't working. A black school with blacks kids and black teachers would suit the childrens needs and will keep up to their expectations.

*titanium*
Are you honestly trying to say that black people being in your class is holding you back?

The majority of them yes. Most of them are lazy and just mess around, the boys are the biggest problem with this.

*titanium*
What next, have them living in desprate hoseing estates?.

No, becuase I don't have a problem with them if they live on my street. What I do have a problem is that most blacks don't care about their education and their fellow class-mates.

*titanium*
This is most certainly NOT the way forward

Who are you to decide what is the way forward?
Reply 57
Apartheid style segregation is very different from D00's point. I think his is a valid one, that for HIM he would do better in school if there were less black kids there. Its a well documented problem, one that i've seen before too. On average black boys are the most disruptive and poorest performing. This has big effects on the other kids in the class.

In my personal opinion the problem is with the school discipline, rather than the ethnic makeup of the class. But acknowledging the problem is the first step to a solution. I think alot of you multiculturalists are in denial, you think that anything which is incompatible with multiculturalism is automatically bad.
(edited 11 years ago)
shady lane

Do you think its right, in 2006, for schools to have rules against hair length on males?

Alot of them in Sri Lanka do.
To be quite frank, even though my school didn't have such rules (long hair just had to be tied up) i personally don't see a problem. As an organisation the school has the right to make rules (so long as they don't break laws) and enforce them. I think it's pretty much discretionary.

Although i do think the punishment was wholely unwarranted.

Latest

Trending

Trending