The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
FanTOM

British black kids have different expectations? Why are the needs of black children in school different than those who are white? Multiculturism IS working. We have a fantastic mixture of culture within the UK, and there are many highly qualified people from different ethnicities working in jobs such as medicine, helping the UK as a whole.

That's you speaking, you obviously havn't met people who can't get jobs because that particular organisation won't allow whites. You obviously havn't met people who get harrassed by their council just because they fly the English flag. You obviously havn't met people who are too scared to criticize about our immigration system in case of being labeled racist by our politically correct society.

FanTOM
I'll reieterate what I posted earlier. You cannot tar everybody with the same brush. School for blacks because some black children misbehave? White kids can be just as disruptive and show a lack of care for education as well, y'know. There was just 2 black kids in my high school. 1 boy and 1 girl. I dated the girl once, and the lad certainly cared about his education. The school is full of idiots who couldn't give a **** about learning. In fact, my school was bottom of the league table in my area. A pretty much all white school. By your logic, if half the school was black it would of been much worse.

Blacks on AVERAGE perform poor to that compared to white children, especially boys. We're not talking about the odd super-smart black kid, we're talking on average. Which school did you go to anyway, I'll check if it performed the lowest in the league table.
(edited 11 years ago)
FanTOM
And you're right, as has already been mentioned earlier. Findings do show black children perform worse on average. But we should be looking to improve academic standards across the board, for EVERYONE. Segregation will only breed a society of isolation and hatred.

What country do you live in? Society is segregated as it is. Big deal. What are we ****ing communists? What is this everyone born equal bull**** and all things to all men. The opportunities are there for all if they try hard enough. People cry when they don't achieve and say that it is societies fault. I say if you'd have tried harder you'd have got where you want to be.
Ethnic minorities segregate themselves from other minorities. Let them do that. But if they do, how can they come and complain about unfair treatment when they themselves set themselves up to be treated that way.

This thread wiffs of red.
HagerVor
I would go insane if i was told to cut my hair.

I would go insane if you were told to cut your hair too. :wink: It'd be pretty funny watching you tell the person who said it to 'shut the f*** up' though. :biggrin:
Reply 64
Juicy Fruit
I would go insane if you were told to cut your hair too. :wink: It'd be pretty funny watching you tell the person who said it to 'shut the f*** up' though. :biggrin:

I've done that before :rolleyes:
Reply 65
Hi all,
Sam is my brother. Here are a few facts:

1.Sam never had a detention whilst at Sir Thomas Rich's School... EVER.

2.Hair is not a uniform. Can you take it off and put it back on after school?

3.It is illegal to cut anyone's hair against their will (a man recently got a 6 month prison sentence for doing this). How in this 21st Century can a school have a rule that dictates an illegal action against a person?

4.It is illegal to order even prisoners to cut their hair. Is a Tommy's student less of a person than anyone else?

5.The school says that the students should have regulation hair cuts to "look like successful business men", as if they are under the illusion that long hair is merely for the wasters of society. What of people like Bob Marley, Richard Branson or *Sir* Bob Geldof... would the school suggest that these men are unsuccessful?:wink:
Reply 66
My school has some really strict rules on appearence and dress code. For example, no facial hair is allowed on males. This created a huge uproar with the muslim students in our school, and actually threatened to take legal action. The school just told them they would never change their rules for anyone. No shorts are allowed in summer, which can get extremely annoying during exams as the room we do it in is really hot.
T Grant
Hi all,
Sam is my brother. Here are a few facts:

1.Sam never had a detention whilst at Sir Thomas Rich's School... EVER.

2.Hair is not a uniform. Can you can't take it off and put it back on after school?

3.It is illegal to cut anyone's hair against their will (a man recently got 6 month prison sentence for doing this). How in this 21st Century can a school have a rule that dictates an illegal action against a person?

4.It is illegal to order even prisoners to cut their hair. Is a Tommy's student less of a person than anyone else?

5.The school says that the students should have regulation hair cuts to "look like successful business men", as if they are under the illsuion that long hair is merely for the wasters of society. What of people like Bob Marly, Richard Branson or *Sir* Geldorf... would the school suggest these men are unsuccessful?:wink:

Interesting points you've raised. Cutting someone's hair against their will is indeed a criminal offence, it constitutes an assault. I guess the school's defence would be that their students are not obliged to attend, and if they disagree with the rules can choose another school instead where they are free to have their hair styled however they wish. The catch is that such schools tend to have a poor record for academic achievement (from my experience at least), so it's not really an option, is it?
Reply 68
The stress of a dispute with a school was bound to be dreadful, so as a family my parents tried to avoid it at all costs. Sam would have changed schools, but that was not possible in the middle of a 2 year GCSE course.

Many good schools operate with no hair diktats attached to the uniform rule, particularly in our major cosmopolitan cities. The best state school, a few miles away in Cheltenham, is just one example. And don't forget that children under 16 have to attend school - what happens if every school has the same rule?
Too many kids are being suspended, expelled and punished for an illegal rule that has nothing to do with education. Every child matters, we are told, but obviously in some schools they matter only if they have the right hair.

Latest

Trending

Trending