The Student Room Group

Jobs for 15 year olds?

Unlucky for me, my birthday is end of August. I really want and need a job for after i finish my exams (i'm in year 11)...
Do any of you know any clothes shops or cafe's who hiring under 16 or 16 year olds?
I live in Bournemouth by the way so if you know any shops around who are hiring, please let me know!!
Reply 1
Original post by shannyboo22
Unlucky for me, my birthday is end of August. I really want and need a job for after i finish my exams (i'm in year 11)...
Do any of you know any clothes shops or cafe's who hiring under 16 or 16 year olds?
I live in Bournemouth by the way so if you know any shops around who are hiring, please let me know!!

Extremely unlikely anywhere will hire someone under 16 as it will lead to issues relating to health + safety and child protection laws.

The usual recommendation is for a paper-round.

Children are not allowed to work:

- without an employment permit issued by the education department of the local council, if this is required by local bylaws
-in places like a factory or industrial site
- during school hours
- before 7am or after 7pm
- for more than one hour before school (unless local bylaws allow it)
- for more than 4 hours without taking a break of at least 1 hour
- in most jobs in pubs and betting shops and those prohibited in local bylaws
- in any work that may be harmful to their health, well-being or education
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Reue
Extremely unlikely anywhere will hire someone under 16 as it will lead to issues relating to health + safety and child protection laws.

The usual recommendation is for a paper-round.

https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/minimum-ages-children-can-work
In our town a lot of us started working at 14 for a small family business that had a shop, arcade and takeaway food/drink area in the arcade. We couldn't work in the shop until over 16 and not on the back counter until 18 (for drink and cigs etc.) We usually all started in the arcade making up the prizes, working the change kiosks, cleaning, doing the food etc. Think it's just down to the employer whether they choose to take someone on under 16. So my advice would be to just ask around and don't just limit it to clothes shops/cafes as you'll have a wider ranger and a better chance. If you know anyone working in places that could put in a good word for you doesn't hurt either.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
When I was 15 (admittedly a long time ago) I worked as a chambermaid in a hotel.
Reply 4
I know a few people who worked in supermarkets at 15.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I worked from 14 at a pub. I was a washer upper initially, then at age 15 I switched to a waitress

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending