The Student Room Group

entering (and not entering) an essay competition

hey
ive been planning to enter the thomas campion essay competition for aaaages.
ive chosen my question ('what is rhyme for?') and have made a rough plan. now i have about a week and have only written an intro.
i reckon this isnt going to happen.
is it really worth pushing on and trying to write a rushed substandard essay just so i cas say ive enetered, or should i just not bother?

how impressive actually is it to unis if you have entered an essay competition? it sounds to me like something theyd really like. would most successful candidates, say, for english, have done something like this?
Reply 1
I'm in exactly the same position as you! Have you decided to enter, I'm wondering if there is any point?? :frown:
Original post by EmergencyBagels
hey
ive been planning to enter the thomas campion essay competition for aaaages.
ive chosen my question ('what is rhyme for?') and have made a rough plan. now i have about a week and have only written an intro.
i reckon this isnt going to happen.
is it really worth pushing on and trying to write a rushed substandard essay just so i cas say ive enetered, or should i just not bother?

how impressive actually is it to unis if you have entered an essay competition? it sounds to me like something theyd really like. would most successful candidates, say, for english, have done something like this?

I entered one for History and didn't even put it on my PS - there wasn't room! Unless you are shortlisted/win (which is less likely if you have a week to write) then I don't see how interested they'd be unless you talk about the skills you learnt. In mine I discussed books I'd read, a project I did at a summer school, my EPQ - so if the essay topic is something you're really interested in I guess you could mention it!

Quick Reply

Latest